Grey tank issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Grey tank issues

Hi everyone, hoping you can help us with some grey tank issues.

We have a 2020 21C and so far the trailer has been really great aside from the stove recall (which was just replaced, yay!) and some venting issues. We are getting some gurgling when the sink is draining. It seems to gurgle in the bathroom sink when we drain the kitchen sink. We are also having some issues with a grey water smell in our closet - the tall closet across from the sink. I also noticed that we were getting some air in the fresh water lines when running the cold water and the water pump. The pressure was fluctuating up and down. The hot water line didn't seem to have the same issue. I understand from the manual that this could be from hydrogen in the hot water line but I didn't think this could be the cause in the cold water line. At any rate it didn't get better after running for a while. Finally the tank levels don't seem to function correctly on the grey tank. We have the standard level system. I understand debris might cause this on the black tank, but is it more likely a faulty connection on the grey tank?

Here is what we have tried so far:
- making sure to fill up p traps in sink, bathroom sink and shower after travel
- using dawn soap and hot water to clean out the grey tank
- adding a small amount of tank treatment to grey tank
- checking the vent on the roof for nests or debris
- running a hose/water down the vent to see if there is a blockage
- inspecting the vent pipe in the closet for any obvious damage

As our trailer is still under warranty, I've also left a message for Dustin at Escape. We are off on our next trip on the 12th so would like to resolve beforehand if possible. Thanks for any suggestions!
MoDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have had the grey tank smell particularly in hot weather. A cure that worked for us was to add a cup of bleach while completely filling the tank with water. Let it sit for a couple of days and then drain.

We had been puzzled about the odor and the sensors not working properly.Just this week we realized that we had not been draining the tank completely. Closer observation showed that the last quarter of the tank was draining very slowly. Allowing the tank to completely drain resolved the sensor issue and helped to eliminate the smell.
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy reports:
Just wind - no rain yet.
Fixed it ( the awning ). The release lever was jammed open. Took some jiggling around and a good few prime cuswords. ��
Just wind now- waiting for rain.
Might just bug-out tomorrow.
The Gal next to us rented a deliver/ pickup 30 trailer with 2 slides for herself and 3 toddlers for a week.
The guy didn’t empty the tanks so she tried to empty the grey water into a baking bowl but pulled the wrong valve. ��
She was a bit upset.
Standing there in flip flops pouring water from another bowl on the lumps trying to kill the stench.
She said the guy said he might give back a bit of the rental.
I said demand all of it - she has social media on her side.