hand flush toilet and cleaning... - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,939
hand flush toilet and cleaning...

so our Casita had a foot flush Thetford... I found that made it very easy for cleaning, you could just step on the pedal and have both hands free for wrestling the cleaning wand or whatever. what do you do with a manual/hand flush (our new escape 21)? bend down, and hold it open with one hand, while wanding it with the other? hold it open with one foot ?
__________________

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 14,452
On my 17B I use a container to hold the trap open. Something like this may work in a 21.
I wouldn't find standing on one foot, using the other to hold the trap open, all that secure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toilet lever prop.jpg (79.4 KB, 17 views)
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,384
May be a dumb question but has anyone used a porcelain toilet ? Reason I ask would like bowl easier to clean . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
May be a dumb question but has anyone used a porcelain toilet ? Reason I ask would like bowl easier to clean . Pat
does anyone make an RV porcelain toilet? last time I pulled one of my household toilets, it was heavy as heck.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
does anyone make an RV porcelain toilet? last time I pulled one of my household toilets, it was heavy as heck.
A suitable porcelain one would add about 30-35 lbs of weight to the trailer. Not much really. Then again, it's just the weight of a bowl and not a tank like at home. Dometic makes them as well as Thetford. The trick is finding one that fits the tiny bath, still allows access to the rear to make the water connection, and has the right distance between the flange and the wall.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A suitable porcelain one would add about 30-35 lbs of weight to the trailer. Not much really. Then again, it's just the weight of a bowl and not a tank like at home. Dometic makes them as well as Thetford. The trick is finding one that fits the tiny bath, still allows access to the rear to make the water connection, and has the right distance between the flange and the wall.
and has a marine/RV style flushing system, rather than a P-trap and water tank.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
May be a dumb question but has anyone used a porcelain toilet ? Reason I ask would like bowl easier to clean . Pat

The 21 has room to add a larger porcelain toilet. Ours do not, we have a very limited space behind the toilet. Maybe with an offset flange or maybe molding the wall behind the toilet you might be able to squeeze a larger one in. The Dometic 300 might fit, it is 8.5 inch for the rough in measurement from the center of the flange to the wall. The one we have is 7 5/8 inch so the 300 is just slightly off.
But the 300 is also a plastic bowl, it's only real advantage is it has a normal sized bowl.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The 21 has room to add a larger porcelain toilet. Ours do not, we have a very limited space behind the toilet. Maybe with an offset flange or maybe molding the wall behind the toilet you might be able to squeeze a larger one in. The Dometic 300 might fit, it is 8.5 inch for the rough in measurement from the center of the flange to the wall. The one we have is 7 5/8 inch so the 300 is just slightly off.
But the 300 is also a plastic bowl, it's only real advantage is it has a normal sized bowl.
That's what I was afraid of . I haven't taken any measurements yet but was just thinking out loud . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That's what I was afraid of . I haven't taken any measurements yet but was just thinking out loud . Pat
Here you go, I'll save you some time.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post194129
We decided the toilet is fine.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Here you go, I'll save you some time.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post194129
We decided the toilet is fine.
Thankyou . Checked your mods too. Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 12,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
May be a dumb question but has anyone used a porcelain toilet ? Reason I ask would like bowl easier to clean .
Not a dumb question. Yes, my motorhome has one. Yes, it's easier to clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
does anyone make an RV porcelain toilet?
Yes, while most are plastic there are long-running porcelain models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A suitable porcelain one would add about 30-35 lbs of weight to the trailer.Dometic makes them as well as Thetford. The trick is finding one that fits the tiny bath, still allows access to the rear to make the water connection, and has the right distance between the flange and the wall.
I doubt it's that much - the entire porcelain portion of mine doesn't weigh 35 pounds, and that's replacing a plastic bowl. In mine, the ceramic bowl clamps on top of a plastic base with valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Dometic makes them as well as Thetford.
Mine is a Dometic (formerly Sealand) Traveller 510; the closest current model is the 510. Dometic also has the 320 series of ceramic toilets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The trick is finding one that fits the tiny bath, still allows access to the rear to make the water connection, and has the right distance between the flange and the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
and has a marine/RV style flushing system, rather than a P-trap and water tank.
All of these RV toilets are pretty similar in mounting and plumbing... and "RV" or "marine" toilets use a flush valve instead of a trap.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
and has a marine/RV style flushing system, rather than a P-trap and water tank.
Well yeah, but we're talking RV toilets. In no way was I suggesting the use of a household toilet, so the marine/RV flushing system is a given.

It's really about dimensions.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,257
after being in the military and doing latrine duty in boot camp, there is nothing alarming about cleaning a toilet up close.....
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Not a dumb question. Yes, my motorhome has one. Yes, it's easier to clean.


Yes, while most are plastic there are long-running porcelain models.


I doubt it's that much - the entire porcelain portion of mine doesn't weigh 35 pounds, and that's replacing a plastic bowl. In mine, the ceramic bowl clamps on top of a plastic base with valve.


Mine is a Dometic (formerly Sealand) Traveller 510; the closest current model is the 510. Dometic also has the 320 series of ceramic toilets.



All of these RV toilets are pretty similar in mounting and plumbing... and "RV" or "marine" toilets use a flush valve instead of a trap.
Our scamp 19 had a porcelain toilet and I did not notice a big difference switching to the plastic in the escape. Use more water in the bowl when going #2 seems to work the best for us.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Our scamp 19 had a porcelain toilet and I did not notice a big difference switching to the plastic in the escape. Use more water in the bowl when going #2 seems to work the best for us.


Tip:- after cleaning a shot of silicone spray and a quick wipe along with a little extra water and a TP cross (Glenn’s idea) keeps the bowl clean.


Cheers
Doug
__________________

__________________
Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×