Hose under bathroom sink leaking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2022, 10:00 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Hose under bathroom sink leaking

Yep, been a long time since I've posted here, but have a problem we seem unable to solve, so hoping for some help here.

The "old timers" on here might remember when the incorrect type of hose was used for the hot water in the bathroom sink on the 21 (new version/mold which were just put into production), which wasn't rated for hot water. It burst and I posted on here wondering what the heck was going on. Turns out it was the second trailer it happened to. I got it replaced at the factory and soon after the North American Replace Hot Water Hose saga was begun by Reece. Oh joy.

Anyway, it's now leaking at the new hose/pipe at the area where it connects in (yeah, not very technical, but whatever!). Dirk has been trying to take off the long white hose/pipe that's in the way of him reaching the back hose/pipe, but he's been unable to. He says it loosens up a bit and then feels like it gets stuck. He doesn't have the strength of loosen it with his hand. Both the wrench and vise grip haven't worked.

He thought about taking off the sink to reach it that way but unfortunately we don't have an allen wrench for the Roberts screws that are used and there isn't room behind the faucet to get to those screws otherwise.

A little while ago I used the Contact Us form at ETI, but I've been told they only do warranty work nowadays, but hey, worth a shot.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair this? I'm not sure if a regular plumber would do this sort of thing.

It's leaking just above the brass colored connection at the top, just under the black part. This is the pipe in the back of the photos.

Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails
hose1.jpg   hose2.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 21
Possibly the crimp needs to be recrimped or replaced this is going with that you’ve tried tightening the fitting n checked to see if it is cracked
Old 04-19-2022, 05:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe pay another visit to Chilliwack, not too far for you in Washington....
Old 04-19-2022, 06:48 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
I am wondering if there is not enough clearance for the connections to be removed causing them to bind when Dirk tries to losen them. I understand you don't have a tool to remove the sink but have you tried loosening the faucet hold down nuts (the white plastic, star-shaped things on the underside of the sink, just above the black connectors)? Loosening these will allow the faucet to rise up as the black connectors are loosened, removing pressure on the water supply lines. That PEX tubing is pretty inflexible (especially in short lengths) and allowing the faucet to move up may give you the slack needed.

If it is leaking at the PEX crimp you'll still need to deal with that. Someone more familiar with PEX can help you with options on repairing the leaking connection. Certainly most plumbers should be able to do this but then again, they could handle the entire job.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe pay another visit to Chilliwack, not too far for you in Washington....

I sent them a msg through their contact form last night. However, I was told some time ago they only do warranty work and, of course, this trailer is long past warranty. So, I don't have high hopes for them to fix it.

Is that PEX pipe what they used to replace the originally deficient hose?
Old 04-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
I am wondering if there is not enough clearance for the connections to be removed causing them to bind when Dirk tries to losen them. I understand you don't have a tool to remove the sink but have you tried loosening the faucet hold down nuts (the white plastic, star-shaped things on the underside of the sink, just above the black connectors)? Loosening these will allow the faucet to rise up as the black connectors are loosened, removing pressure on the water supply lines. That PEX tubing is pretty inflexible (especially in short lengths) and allowing the faucet to move up may give you the slack needed.

If it is leaking at the PEX crimp you'll still need to deal with that. Someone more familiar with PEX can help you with options on repairing the leaking connection. Certainly most plumbers should be able to do this but then again, they could handle the entire job.

Thanks! I just read your msg to Dirk and he said "that's a true statement" and he did think of removing the faucet. That's for today's project (as I'm getting the trailer ready to head to the tire store tomorrow for new tires!).

I also contacted 3 different places that said they do RV plumbing work, so we'll see what happens there.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I experienced a slow leak from the bathroom sink hot water faucet connection and the bathroom floor was full of water. The leak was from the black nut connector, not the Pex crimp ring, and no cracks on the Pex pipe. I tightened the black nut and fixed the leak. Recently I replaced the kitchen sink faucet with a Delta faucet and found the ETI washer used for the black nut connection did not seat properly on both hot and cold water inlet. I used the Silicone washers to replace them and they work well. The size of the washer is OD 3/4" and ID 1/2". The washers need to fit into the the 1/2"metal pipe inside the black nut.
Amazon website : Silicone Washers Silicone Gasket Silicone Gasket Seal Washer Gasket 3/4"White Gasket. Pack of 2. good luck.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here is two methods to make a short Robertson screw driver using a short bit.
Attached Thumbnails
5D1B5E6E-227D-4573-8993-E2BDCD5C8FC2.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Here is two methods to make a short Robertson screw driver using a short bit.

Thanks. I don't think we have any bits, just 3 screwdrivers. But, great idea!
Old 04-19-2022, 11:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
In a trailer put together with Robertson head screws a mulit-bit screwdriver is a good investment.

As shown, the bit can be held with wrenches or a socket. In some tight spaces I hold a bit with a mini vicegrip. I have a box of different size bits, the shortest is about an inch long, very handy for tight spaces. Whatever works. I can't see doing the repair without removing the sink.

PS, welcome back.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #11

From the "After Sales Support":

"Thanks for reaching out to Escape After Sales with questions regarding a leaking faucet, if you’d like you can forward photos here, however it is important to note that Escape no longer has an after-market service center for these types of repairs.

"With the above said we can provide as much information to help along; any service center will be able to assist in this type of repair.

"Please get back to me with photos for further review."

Unfortunately, kind of the answer I expected. I did forward photos. We'll see what's what.

Update: Dirk did get the one pipe off so now he'll have easier access to the other.

One place got back to me with an appt date of May 23rd and $185/hour rate. Dirk says he's in the wrong business.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
In a trailer put together with Robertson head screws a mulit-bit screwdriver is a good investment.

As shown, the bit can be held with wrenches or a socket. In some tight spaces I hold a bit with a mini vicegrip. I have a box of different size bits, the shortest is about an inch long, very handy for tight spaces. Whatever works. I can't see doing the repair without removing the sink.

PS, welcome back.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Turns out we do have the Roberts bits, according to the Repair Parts Manager that lives with me (and the cats). Now to find them. Inventory control/locating isn't the best at all times.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I carry one of those 8-in-1 screw drivers in my top streetside drawer with other hardware kinda stuff. it has small and large square(robertson) bits, small and large phillips, flats, and torx. fits most any screw you're likely to run into.

if a screw driver handle can't provide enough torque, you can always put a 1/4" wrench on the bit, use the screwdriver handle to stabilize, and torque with the wrench. I can also chuck the bit in the battery drill/driver I carry to raise/lower my stabilizers.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #14

Another update:
Dirk got the hoses apart and the faucet off. A very close eyeball inspection did not reveal any cracks in the hoses or attachments or faucet. So, he's off to the hardware store to look for some flexible hose to use for testing to see where it's actually leaking from.

Yes, there was another hardware store run earlier to get some tool that helped greatly in getting it all taken apart.

And, while rummaging around in the 2nd drawer over the furnace, I came across the bag of Roberts drill bits. Yay! Makes sense to have them in the trailer, right? Right!

So, great strides in progress. Of course, putting it all back will be loads of fun, I'm sure. I'm there to hold the flashlight. And to tell him he can do lots better in the cursing department.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #15

Good news! It's not leaking! Removed everything and then put it back together. Heck if I know why it was leaking in the first place, but it was.

Whew! Thanks for the various suggestions - they did help, according to Dirk. Yay!

Now to figure out why my back up camera has stopped working. But that's for tomorrow or day after, as tomorrow it gets new tires installed.

If it's not one thing, it's another, huh?
Old 04-20-2022, 05:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 year and Class B Motorhome for RV model
I am seeking for a suitable solution for my home bathroom leaking,this post was very helpful to me, useful suggestion, thanks a lot
michael99685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:31 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Thumbs up

Hey, sometimes you get lucky. It was your turn.

Thanks for keeping us updated throughout the process so that we all might learn a little something.

Best.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael99685 View Post
I am seeking for a suitable solution for my home bathroom leaking,this post was very helpful to me, useful suggestion, thanks a lot

Ooo, have fun! Yay, glad you got some ideas on what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated throughout the process so that we all might learn a little something.

You're welcome.

Dirk ended up purchasing the Ridgid EZ Change Faucet Tool (multiple tools in one - as the packaging says!) and used the bottom gray section. Hopefully we'll never need the thing again, but he said it was invaluable. Also taking off the faucet really helped. And I got to clean the gunk that had accumulated underneath it. Bonus!