Leakin bath vent - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2024, 05:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21NE
Leakin bath vent

Experiencing another minor problem with our new 2023NE. I have water dripping from the power vent in the bathroom. I have taken the outside, cover off and installed new gasket material, the old one was caddy Wompus. I thought a new gasket might solve the problem. But, during the last rain, I had water dripping from the trim ring inside the bath. I removed the trim ring on the inside, and it was full of water. It looks to me like the only way that could happen would be if water were seeping through the caulking that is supposed to seal between the vent base and the trailer top. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any recommendations to reseal it? Any suggestions on how to remove the old caulking and what type of new caulking to use?
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I haven't had that particular issue and don't know for sure how the bath fan is mounted but one caulk-type sealant that is commonly used is ProFlex RV. The fan may have butyl tape underneath, between the fan and the trailer fibreglass.Take it off and see how the original was installed. If there is sticky grey stuff it is butyl tape. Butyl tape compresses and seals well. The vent edges can then be sealed with ProFlex RV as can any screw holes.

Look at some of the other things on the roof of the trailer and you'll see how ETI put on the ProFlex.

As for cleaning off the old caulking, which is probably ProFlex, scrape what you can with a plastic scraper, not metal, then remove the rest of the residue with acetone. It can be a tedious job but it's not difficult.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I haven't had that particular issue and don't know for sure how the bath fan is mounted but one caulk-type sealant that is commonly used is ProFlex RV. The fan may have butyl tape underneath, between the fan and the trailer fibreglass.Take it off and see how the original was installed. If there is sticky grey stuff it is butyl tape. Butyl tape compresses and seals well. The vent edges can then be sealed with ProFlex RV as can any screw holes.

Look at some of the other things on the roof of the trailer and you'll see how ETI put on the ProFlex.

As for cleaning off the old caulking, which is probably ProFlex, scrape what you can with a plastic scraper, not metal, then remove the rest of the residue with acetone. It can be a tedious job but it's not difficult.
using a heat gum to warm and soften the ProFlex, I found it easier to remove it.
I hope it will help.
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:05 PM   #4

So it sounds to me like the way to do this properly is to completely remove the fan and start over. Oh boy, just what I’m looking forward to doing on a brand new trailer. Thanks for the replies and I will report back when I accomplish this. Thanks again and wish me luck.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
So it sounds to me like the way to do this properly is to completely remove the fan and start over. Oh boy, just what I’m looking forward to doing on a brand new trailer. Thanks for the replies and I will report back when I accomplish this. Thanks again and wish me luck.
I understand your impulse to get this repair done, but you might consider seeing if you can get this done under some kind of a warranty arrangement.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
I understand your impulse to get this repair done, but you might consider seeing if you can get this done under some kind of a warranty arrangement.

John
Agreed. I'd contact ETI before doing the repair myself, too, if the trailer is new.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
I recall we had a small amount of water dripping in from the bath vent when we first used our trailer. I believe the water was getting in around the screws that hold the cap to the metal bracket. I think I used o-rings around the screws or chalk to correct.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Experiencing another minor problem with our new 2023NE. I have water dripping from the power vent in the bathroom. I have taken the outside, cover off and installed new gasket material, the old one was caddy Wompus. I thought a new gasket might solve the problem. But, during the last rain, I had water dripping from the trim ring inside the bath. I removed the trim ring on the inside, and it was full of water. It looks to me like the only way that could happen would be if water were seeping through the caulking that is supposed to seal between the vent base and the trailer top. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any recommendations to reseal it? Any suggestions on how to remove the old caulking and what type of new caulking to use?
There is a drain hole in the bathroom vent to allow water to run off. I asked about these drain holes a couple of years ago and got this response. Might be worth checking out.

"Yes, that is a drain hole that drains the annular ring of the exterior flange of the bathroom fan. If you remove the fan cap, the purpose of the drain hole will be very obvious.
One of the problems that we experienced with ETIs installation was the excessive use of caulk to seal the fan mounting screws. The excessive caulk created dams that held water (from a very heavy downpour) in the exterior flange so the water couldn't make it out the drain hole. The foam gasket that seals the fan soaked up the water, which then dripped inside the bathroom. The solution was to painstakingly remove some of the excess caulk so water could flow around the exterior annulus and out the drain hole.

Kathy"
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:21 PM   #9

Resolution.

After carefully looking at the bathroom vent I did indeed see the drain hole in the fan. I understand how that is supposed to function. The fan was mounted and appeared to have be properly sealed to the trailer...... except....... in their effort to not seal up the drain hole on the fan, they left about a 1/16 inch gap in the sealant under the drain hole. Very very small, but enough to allow water in. When I removed the interior trim ring it was full of water. Any movement of the trailer spilled water onto the medicine cabinet mirror and toilet lid. I cleaned that up and sealed the minute hole in the roof under the drain hole and no more leaks. I would note, that it appears Escape did not use any butyl tape under the vent flange. That would have prevented this issue.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm very reluctant to try and use any place for warranty work, especially if I can resolve it myself. I firmly believe the old adage "If you want something done right, do it yourself". As long as I'm capable. So far the only two issues with my brand new 21NE have been this fan issue and the water pump failing to shut off. Both now resolved do to the help of this forum.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Resolution.

I firmly believe the old adage "If you want something done right, do it yourself". As long as I'm capable.
No truer words....
Old 03-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #11
Escape Trailer Industries

Trailer: Escape 23
Quote:
Hey Charlie, so sorry for any issues you have run into if you'd kindly reach out to our Aftersales team, they will be happy to help you out! https://escapetrailer.com/after-sales-support/ this link will direct you to our aftersales form and one of our team members will be sure to reach out to you ASAP regarding your issue!
Kosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
Hey Charlie, so sorry for any issues you have run into if you'd kindly reach out to our Aftersales team, they will be happy to help you out! https://escapetrailer.com/after-sales-support/ this link will direct you to our aftersales form and one of our team members will be sure to reach out to you ASAP regarding your issue!
Kosta, thank you for reaching out. I believe I have resolved the issue at hand. Should I need assistance in the future I will contact after sales if necessary. Thanks again for being responsive. This is great service and greatly appreciated.

CharlieJ
Old 04-11-2024, 09:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Had our trailer out in heavy rain this week for the first time and think we’re having the same problem. Arrived at the campground with a lot of water in the bathroom. I could see it dripping from the handle on the vent. When I touched the ring to dry it off, water ran out from the outside of the ring. Even after 2 dry days it’s still dripping. Called Escape and will take it to the factory next week for them to hopefully fix. Thanks to you for the post so we have a good idea of the problem.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:51 PM   #14

Glad it helped. You are lucky to be close to the factory. Easy 5 minute fix. I should have taken a picture.