leaking water pump output connection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2024, 10:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
leaking water pump output connection

I have 2018 Escape 21 Classic, love my trailer, but as usual it’s giving me trouble haha.

as title describes, the output hose, I think vinyl tubing, as installed OEM, is leaking at the adapter to the output side of the water pump. recently the pump has been slow to stop after facet has been turned off. I adjusted the pressure screw, as suggested by a couple of peeps, and appears to be working properly now, yea!!!

however, on close inspection, while solving the over run problem, I noticed the leak. not a large leak, but needs to be absolutely no leak IMO.

I searched this forum and came up with zero hits, so I’m starting this thread.

the problem appears to be Escape used pex clamp on the vinyl tubing. apparently, works OK for a time, but my trailer is > 5 years now, and this production shortcut is causing me trouble now.

so, has anyone with this leak, simply just cut the pex clamp off, I plan to us a dremel, and replaced it with a normal good quality hose clamp. that’s what I’m planning to do, but I’m looking for confirmation or any better ideas.

any and all comments welcome. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Charles, please clarify / confirm with a pic of the pump connections in your 2021 E21 - is the mentioned small leak on the pump pressurized outlet side or the pump suction inlet / filter side?

See the attached pic of my 2022 5.0. As installed by ETI on mine there is a 'braided reinforced' flexible hose with threaded fitting directory connected to the pump pressurized outlet (no PEX-clamp-to-vinyl on the pressurized pump outlet side).

If yours looks like mine and that is the problem area you may find that gently hand-tightening the grey-colored 'winged' fitting eliminates the leak.

FYI that flex hose with direct-threaded pump connection is available as part of
Shurflo 36" long
OR
Camco 36" long

If in fact your tiny leak is on the inlet / filter / suction side, please post a pic of your connections and I'll come back with other suggestions for your consideration to 'improve' that side of the plumbing at the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
pump connectins.jpg  
Old 02-11-2024, 09:55 AM   #3

Centex, thanks for reply, my leak is on pressurized outlet side. my 2018 is maybe 4 years older than your 2022, and I don’t have the nice screw on hose. probably no pics, I’m on the road and don’t know how to attach pics to this forum via iphone, probably possible IDK.

i’m at Quartzsite Rally, leaving today for Salton Sea. one neighbors at this rally with Casita, described the same hose and connector you have on your trailer, but appears to require acquisition of some connectors my setup does’t have. their Casita has same problem as mine, a known issue, using pex clamps with vinyl hose will eventually leak. they plan to acquire the adapters and hose like on you trailer, but haven’t done it yet, apparently not that easy to find the appropriate parts lols. I probably won’t go that route, just seems like too much trouble for what a simple hose clamp may accomplish?

I’m thinking also, since I adjusted the pressure on the pump, maybe lowered pressure to turn off the pump sooner, I’m thinking maybe won’t leak now. I’ll watch it and report back. also, not a bad leak, so I’ll probably wait until I return home to repair. cheers
Old 02-11-2024, 10:05 AM   #4

OK, I see the hoses you linked have screw in adapter, I’ll check my pump to see if would maybe work on mine too. however, another issue, the outlet hose goes to T connector that would need to be replaced too, if you can visualize, your fix is getting more complicated? lols. cheers
Old 02-11-2024, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
OK, I see the hoses you linked have screw in adapter....
FYI the flexible braided outlet hose in my pic has no 'adaptor' per se, it screws directly to the threaded outlet on my pump. I strongly suspect that your pump has the 1/2" male threaded outlet like mine, that's been common on ShurFlo and competitive RV pumps for a long time.

In any case, I understand your setup is different and nothing I posted above may be of value. It sounds like perhaps you have a 1/2" female pipe > barbed or 1/2" PEX adaptor on your pump outlet to transition to the vinyl hose (?).

IF yes, and that fitting is leaking or needs replacement (IME it is very difficult to cut-off a PEX crimp ring without damaging the underlying fitting, the tiniest scratch can lead to the tiniest drip) here's that fitting

Home Depot source

Amazon source

These 'swivel' fittings allow crimping to the hose first then connecting to the pump; a 'solid' adaptor must be screwed on the pump first and does not lend to re-tightening after crimped to the hose because the hose must 'twist'.

IF you wanted to convert to the braided direct-threading vibration isolation hose as used on later models and which I linked above, here's the PEX 1/2" Tee with 1/2" male pipe thread for the other end

Home Depot source

Amazon source

But I certainly understand that may be more of an effort than you want to undertake, especially while on the road.

Glad that at least this seems to be a minor / manageable drip for now, wishing you the best with a final solution.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:01 AM   #6

thanks Centex for great info. I anticipate next problem will be length of pex if I replace the T adaptor. I’m thinking if removing the pex clamp and replacing with hose clamp doesn’t stop the leak, this is job for RV tech lols. I’m also wonder where else in trailer I might have this same issue, but behind some panel so I don’t notice it? cheers
Old 02-12-2024, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
.... I’m also wonder where else in trailer I might have this same issue, but behind some panel so I don’t notice it? ...
Every build may vary but FWIW the only place I've seen ETI use a non-PEX tube clamped or crimped to a barb / PEX fitting is at the pump (suction intake and/or in your case pressure outlet).

Everywhere else I've seen they have 'proper' PEX tube-to-PEX fitting crimps, or at some sinks 'proper' threaded fittings and braided flex-hose similar to the one's I linked in my first post.

I understand what you're saying about remediating your current situation and it all makes sense IMO.

Good Luck!