loose weight distribution shank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2024, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
loose weight distribution shank

I have 2020 Tundra and 2018 Escape 21, love them both. after I got the 2020 Tundra, I couldn't open truck tailgate all the way down. so, I bought and installed longer weight distribution shank. that and turning the electric jack head 90 degrees did the trick

I have ProSeries weight distribution option that was offered with 2018 Escape 21 build and had ETI install it. I replaced the shank with Reese 54970 weight distribution shank. no issues when towing, but now can feel it slip forward a little when I 1st start off after a stop.

so after a little over 4 years use the whole weight distribution assembly when I place it in the receiver on the back of the tow is pretty loose. I have noticed some wear on the retaining pin, and on the shank. looks like no wear on the Tundra trailer hitch receiver. with my 1st trailer, Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe, I didn't use weight distribution hitch. the receiver shank never had any wear after approx 12 years. so this is new experience for me.

I'm not too worried about anything breaking and coming loose. I have replaced the retaining pin which I think will tighten it up some, but haven't tried it yet. I also may put some grease in this area to hold down on future wear. so, I'm wondering what others have experienced with their weight distribution shank getting loose over time. all comments welcomed. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
A possibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Tightener-Ant...69847888&psc=1

I use a bracket like this to reduce the rattle between the shank and the receiver. It might work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
716SK9+MS-L._AC_SX679_.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Edit: I wasn’t as quick typing as HABBERDABBER but here’s my reply anyway:

I was getting movement/rattle on the trailer hitch for my boat and tried one of these hitch anti-rattle immobilizers: https://www.princessauto.com/en/anti...t/PA0008465957
It solved all movement issues.

That’s a local one to me. There are plenty available on Amazon.

I haven’t tried one on a WDH and don’t know for sure if it would be suitable for that application.
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
Our used 2019 came with the ETI included Fastway E2 hitch. As purchased I can see some amount of wear that has caused the pivot pins at the hitch to become slightly oval and slightly loose in the sockets they sit in. It appears that the prior owner didn't use any lube at these points. I now wipe out each of these pivot pin sockets and apply a light film of red & tacky before each trip. Time will tell but I've not noticed any further wear.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape '19
The above clamp is, and yes I tried it... crap. Been using the Blue Ox clamp for 8 to 10 years, and it works great. The instructions don't discuss this put, but I tighten the nuts about 50 to 55 lbs of torque. Torque wrenches are available at Harbor Freight.
Blue Ox BX88224 Immobilizer II for 2" Receiver Hitch
BULLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS View Post
The above clamp is, and yes I tried it... crap. Been using the Blue Ox clamp for 8 to 10 years, and it works great. The instructions don't discuss this put, but I tighten the nuts about 50 to 55 lbs of torque. Torque wrenches are available at Harbor Freight.
Blue Ox BX88224 Immobilizer II for 2" Receiver Hitch
I can see how the Blue Ox with it's two-way immobilization might be superior for a heavy hitch and trailer. For my relatively light boat the type of hitch immobilizer in posts #2 and #3 work fine for me. As always, YMMV.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
thanks for great replies. I'm aware of the clamp and have used one to good effect on cargo basket I had on the back of my trailer. without the clamp, the carrier was really wobbly, with the clamp, it was solid, no movement.

when hooked up and on the road, I never hear any rattles, movement except I can feel it move just a little pulling away from a stop. weight distribution hitch keeps it locked down pretty well on the road. I think all I'll do is apply a little grease to keep wear down, replace the retaining pin and see how it goes. if continues to be problem, I can always buy and install the clamp. I really liked the Blue Ox one, probably would get one of those. thanks and cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote