New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #181

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is a "bypass test" ?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #182

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is a "bypass test" ?
They run 120V directly to the heating element, totally bypassing the control system. That establishes whether or not the basic cooling loop is doing its job. The lower part of the fridge should get into low teens or even single digit territory.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #183

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
They run 120V directly to the heating element, totally bypassing the control system. That establishes whether or not the basic cooling loop is doing its job. The lower part of the fridge should get into low teens or even single digit territory.
Hi: Parker... This will be an interesting test. I really think that is what I did by removing the Thermistor sensor from the fins. Made the unit run non stop and the temp got down to -5*C. I relocated it again to nearer the bottom of the fins.
We have to use the 6.7 cu. ft. fridge tomorrow as we have a new Frigidaire 22.6 cu. ft. 3 door coming for the house.
OMG I just found out we never registered the darn thing with Dometic when we bought the trailer!!! Are we SOL?
I'm waiting with baited breath. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #184

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I again suggest that people call Dometic to express your concerns. She said they are becoming more aware of the problem, and that can only be because a growing number of people are voicing their concerns, rather than trying to solve the problems themselves. Once again, the number is (574) 294-2511.

Please, let's try to keep this thread about working with Dometic on this issue. There are lots of really interesting discussions elsewhere in the forum about how things work and innovative solutions when they don't.

Thanks,
Parker
Good on you for doing this. I think it's what's needed to get action from Dometic, The "squeaky wheel" etc. , much better than just sitting waiting and hoping that they'll do something.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Parker... This will be an interesting test. I really think that is what I did by removing the Thermistor sensor from the fins. Made the unit run non stop and the temp got down to -5*C. I relocated it again to nearer the bottom of the fins.
We have to use the 6.7 cu. ft. fridge tomorrow as we have a new Frigidaire 22.6 cu. ft. 3 door coming for the house.
OMG I just found out we never registered the darn thing with Dometic when we bought the trailer!!! Are we SOL?
Something else I tried: I talked with Ford RV, the company in KY that publishes all the RV fridge videos and does repair, thinking I might take the Escape to them for the warranty service. They suggested the same test. They're really big on moving the thermistor to a warmer part of the fins (upper right corner typically). So I realized that you may be onto something, but Tom and I decided we would keep it to ourselves.

I think you'll be fine sending in your warranty info now.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Good on you for doing this. I think it's what's needed to get action from Dometic, The "squeaky wheel" etc. , much better than just sitting waiting and hoping that they'll do something.

Ron
Thanks, Ron. I'm a little more encouraged after the call today.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #187

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I finally got around to calling Dometic today. I talked to Erin in customer service and was discouraged by what she didn't know. She hasn't heard of an issue with the RML 8555. We had a rather long discussion in which I covered, in abbreviated form, everything that's been covered on this forum. I also shared with her that Camping World in southern California didn't carry this model because it just didn't perform well enough in that climate. This came from the manager at Camping World here in Seattle. She stated that if they were having issues of the magnitude I was talking about that the engineering department would share that information with them so that they could handle phone calls such as this one. She sent an email to the salesman and engineer for Escape with this information asking for clarification. She took my name, number, and email address and promised that when she received any information from them she would pass it along to me, probably through email.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #188

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Tom

When I talked to Dometic I got the same response. I was pretty discouraged to say the least.
Sure glad Reace is working on this with them. I also think they know more then they let on.

Doug
Old 10-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #189

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
It kind of sounds like the next modification for the 6.7 fridge is a manual 120 volt bypass switch. When all else fails flip the switch for max cooling.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #190

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Alf, here in the states, companies cannot require you to register a product to validate a warranty - the warranty is in effect either way. Hopefully it is the same for you in Ontario.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #191
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I also think they know more then they let on.
Doug
Doubtful. This points out the downside of calling Dometic. They're a huge company, and like most huge companies they have layer after layer of departmental bureaucracy. Most of the people who answer the phone won't have any clue about the issue. Can't hurt, but probably not much good either.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #192

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
It kind of sounds like the next modification for the 6.7 fridge is a manual 120 volt bypass switch. When all else fails flip the switch for max cooling.
I was referring to in this post about the 120 volt bypass test for 6.7 fridge.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #193

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Alf, here in the states, companies cannot require you to register a product to validate a warranty - the warranty is in effect either way. Hopefully it is the same for you in Ontario.
There is value in registering any product that has a warranty, and that is they can notify you of a recall.
I almost threw out an Olympus digital camera when it quit working, but was advised to take it in and see what the repair would cost. Repair cost nothing because Olympus had issued a recall years before. I didn't know that because I hadn't sent in the warranty card.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #194

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is value in registering any product that has a warranty, and that is they can notify you of a recall.
I almost threw out an Olympus digital camera when it quit working, but was advised to take it in and see what the repair would cost. Repair cost nothing because Olympus had issued a recall years before. I didn't know that because I hadn't sent in the warranty card.
For sure it is a good idea to register stuff Glenn, for exactly the reason you showed. Its just that they cannot deny the warranty based on not registering, at least in the states. I'm hoping that is the case for Alf too.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #195

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had my furnace repaired under warranty and I had not registered. Furnace, fridge etc. are on that paper inside the wardrobe. That gives date of purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Specs Form.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I finally got around to calling Dometic today. I talked to Erin in customer service and was discouraged by what she didn't know. She hasn't heard of an issue with the RML 8555. We had a rather long discussion in which I covered, in abbreviated form, everything that's been covered on this forum. I also shared with her that Camping World in southern California didn't carry this model because it just didn't perform well enough in that climate. This came from the manager at Camping World here in Seattle. She stated that if they were having issues of the magnitude I was talking about that the engineering department would share that information with them so that they could handle phone calls such as this one. She sent an email to the salesman and engineer for Escape with this information asking for clarification. She took my name, number, and email address and promised that when she received any information from them she would pass it along to me, probably through email.
Tom
Well, it's still good that you called. It took a few minutes, and if anyone is keeping track, it's another customer unhappy with the 8XXX series fridges. The woman I talked with today, Nicki, seemed to be at a little higher level and had actually done some research to see what's going on with these fridges. She was well prepared, and introduced the climate class terminology without me bringing it up. She explained that we're getting fridges made in Germany, which I guess is a negotiated trade arrangement. There is a new model being sold in England that may be better (curious about that since England isn't normally like Texas) and she didn't know if that would help or not....or if we could get it. The point is, she's aware and trying to help. When I call, they look me up and know before I go into my story what kind of fridge and what kind of issues I'm having. Maybe that's because I've been in once for warranty service, or maybe they do that for everyone.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #197
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
Parker,

It is good that you plan to let Dometic run this "bypass test" that they have proposed. About a month ago I made my 1st post on the Escape forum. It was post #36 in this thread and I did ask "has anyone bypassed the controls and applied 120v directly to the 120v heating element and let the unit run overnight." Unfortunately people didn't seem to understand this trouble-shooting technique for rv propane refrigerators and that it was the subject of one of the Ford (FRVTS) videos on youtube.

It would be good if you'd let us know what Dometic finds with this test. Hopefully Dometic will find something definitive and come up with a clean solution for people that own these refrigerators.
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #198

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Hope this the right thread . Want to tell you went camping and Love our new I quess you call it drawer ? It is perfect it actually slides out too . We kept lettuce and grapes etc in it . Removing the plastic crisper and just having extra shelf (more room ) and your drawer keep frig a couple degrees colder. Very happy !
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #199
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hope this the right thread . Want to tell you went camping and Love our new I quess you call it drawer ? It is perfect it actually slides out too . We kept lettuce and grapes etc in it . Removing the plastic crisper and just having extra shelf (more room ) and your drawer keep frig a couple degrees colder. Very happy !
Glad to know I built it right! Kind of odd it would help with fridge temps, but a couple of degrees on the retail thermometers probably isn't significant.

Actually I call it a tray.

Moderator will probably move your post over to the modifications and alternations group.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote