Orion-Tr Smart Mode Settings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #1
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Orion-Tr Smart Mode Settings

I have a Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger 12/12-18 that ETI installed in my trailer. This is the prototype trailer E17 for their full lithium package that includes two 100ah HUB lithium batteries. The trailer also has the full solar package and inverter. I’ve had it less than two weeks and haven’t camped with it yet, but things seem to be working great. My TV is a 2021 Ford F-150 XLT. Overkill but it sure tows nicely and I love the truck.
Question: should the Orion be in Charge Mode or Power Supply Mode, and can anyone explain the difference? The manual isn’t very helpful, and I’m electrically challenged.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Victron markets great equipment, but their manuals and documentation are horrifically bad IMO. I have all Victron equipment, but I have been stunned with the poor quality of the documentation. Hence, do not assume you are electrically challenged on the basis of understanding their manuals.

That being said, you may want to also post Victron questions on the Victron forum. I have received very helpful information there.

2 cents
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
I have a Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger 12/12-18 that ETI installed in my trailer. This is the prototype trailer E17 for their full lithium package that includes two 100ah HUB lithium batteries. The trailer also has the full solar package and inverter. I’ve had it less than two weeks and haven’t camped with it yet, but things seem to be working great. My TV is a 2021 Ford F-150 XLT. Overkill but it sure tows nicely and I love the truck.
Question: should the Orion be in Charge Mode or Power Supply Mode, and can anyone explain the difference? The manual isn’t very helpful, and I’m electrically challenged.
Great question. And yes, the Victron manual is not helpful. On the other hand, I've been very grateful for the information that I've received from the members of this forum. It's a great resource. I've also found some useful info on the Victron forum.

In regards to the Orion, I have some questions that I would consider asking of Escape Trailer Industries. The questions were prompted by an email conversation with a resourceful member of this forum. On the Orion installed in our 21 NE, Escape installed a jumper wire from the negative on the input side to the negative on the output side, then ran a wire from the negative on the output side to a yet-to-be-determined location, presumably a ground. With the jumper in place, the Orion no longer serves as an isolated DC-DC converter. Rather, it acts as a non-isolated DC-DC converter. What is the logic behind this wiring scheme? Why are there not two separate negative feeds? Does the Orion actually charge the lithium batteries or does it merely act to isolate the TV starter battery from the trailer batteries? The latter might be presumed given that the input wire and output wire are undersized. Victron calls for 16 mm2 wiring, equivalent to 6 AWG. Are there any thoughts on the Orion from those members of the forum who are well-versed in matters electrical?
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While the Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger 12/12-18 is designed so that it can be used with an isolated ground, that is not possible with an Escape trailer. The trailer negative side is bonded to the trailer chassis, and the tow vehicle is connected to the trailer chassis in order for the trailer brakes, brake lights, etc to work. Because the two sides are already connected, there is no problem connecting the two negatives together.

As to how to set it up, you have choices. In the power supply mode you choose the output voltage and the Victron will continually supply that voltage. I believe that is the mode that Escape sets when they provide the device. As long as it is set below 13.6V (or float voltage recommended for the battery) it will not overcharge the battery & will supply voltage for a refrigerator, etc.

If set to the charge mode, you need to set the parameters to match the charging requirements of your batteries. Typical settings for lithium batteries would be 14.4V - 14.6V absorption, and either no float or 13.6V. I don't remember if the Smart DC-DC Charger has an equalization setting, but if it does, it should be off or set below 14.4V - 14.6V (same as absorption). This would be the most practical mode if you expect to fully charge lithium batteries while driving.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #5
SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While the Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger 12/12-18 is designed so that it can be used with an isolated ground, that is not possible with an Escape trailer. The trailer negative side is bonded to the trailer chassis, and the tow vehicle is connected to the trailer chassis in order for the trailer brakes, brake lights, etc to work. Because the two sides are already connected, there is no problem connecting the two negatives together.

As to how to set it up, you have choices. In the power supply mode you choose the output voltage and the Victron will continually supply that voltage. I believe that is the mode that Escape sets when they provide the device. As long as it is set below 13.6V (or float voltage recommended for the battery) it will not overcharge the battery & will supply voltage for a refrigerator, etc.

If set to the charge mode, you need to set the parameters to match the charging requirements of your batteries. Typical settings for lithium batteries would be 14.4V - 14.6V absorption, and either no float or 13.6V. I don't remember if the Smart DC-DC Charger has an equalization setting, but if it does, it should be off or set below 14.4V - 14.6V (same as absorption). This would be the most practical mode if you expect to fully charge lithium batteries while driving.

Thanks for all your responses. Thanks Jon, for the clarification. As you say, I believe ETI set the charger to Supply Mode, 13.5V output. Initially, I didn’t think the charger was working at all. Turns out my trucks smart alternator doesn’t seem to allow the charging of anything until the starter battery is topped up. As a result, the DC charger gets no power and doesn’t show on Victron Connect App right away, sometimes for several minutes. I want the charger to run the refrigerator in DC when were on the road so supply mode sounds like the right choice. That’s what we did with our previous trailer for 11 years without any issues. I’ll be checking all that next week when I do a 2 night shakedown trip to the Grand Mesa. That will be the first real test and since it’s close to home, I can come back if there are issues.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Thanks for all your responses. Thanks Jon, for the clarification. As you say, I believe ETI set the charger to Supply Mode, 13.5V output. Initially, I didn’t think the charger was working at all. Turns out my trucks smart alternator doesn’t seem to allow the charging of anything until the starter battery is topped up. As a result, the DC charger gets no power and doesn’t show on Victron Connect App right away, sometimes for several minutes. I want the charger to run the refrigerator in DC when were on the road so supply mode sounds like the right choice. That’s what we did with our previous trailer for 11 years without any issues. I’ll be checking all that next week when I do a 2 night shakedown trip to the Grand Mesa. That will be the first real test and since it’s close to home, I can come back if there are issues.
Yes, much appreciated, Jon. SRS, I'm attaching a Victron PDF document, "Engine-on detection setup". Not sure if you're aware of it. Enjoy the trip!
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #7
SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
Yes, much appreciated, Jon. SRS, I'm attaching a Victron PDF document, "Engine-on detection setup". Not sure if you're aware of it. Enjoy the trip!

Thanks for passing the PDF along. Looked it over briefly since I have to go fix a vacuum cleaner I'll look at it more later.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I run mine in charge mode, configured for lithium.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #9
SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I run mine in charge mode, configured for lithium.

Is there any particular reason you chose charge mode of supply? It does appear supply mode allows for greater settings adjustment. I've been following your post and the settings you use.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Again, it depends on what you want the device to do. Set in supply and the voltage set to around 13.2V, if you have your refrigerator on 12V, and assuming that the wiring is large enough, it will provide power from the tow vehicle alternator to keep the refrigerator running without depleting the lithium batteries.

If you set it on the charging mode, you need to set the parameters to match the requirements of your batteries, and it will act just like the converter, charging the lithium batteries.

One caution - in the charge mode, if your batteries are down and you have adequate sized wiring, it may draw a surprising amount of current on the input side. In my case I blew the 25 amp fuse in my F150 charging line more than once.