Owner Feedback on Electric Awning for E21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2024, 09:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 E21c
Question Owner Feedback on Electric Awning for E21C

Hello, we are new to the Forum and hopefully posting in the right place. We are working on the configuration of an E21C. Our current camper is a 2016 17' Micro Minnie Winnebago. We have a traditional electric awning on it and like it ALOT, with no problems in 8 years. We have also had a manual awning and know the ins and outs of that. We DON'T however have a good handle on the Electric Dometic Awning given as an option on the new camper. We are hoping some owners of this particular awning can offer feedback on whether they would purchase it again. Thanks in advance! Beep and Ed
Beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Oh, the forum will offer lot's of feedback. There's many previous threads on this topic. At the end of the day you'll find pretty divided opinions.

I'm in the manual awning camp.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh, the forum will offer lot's of feedback. There's many previous threads on this topic. At the end of the day you'll find pretty divided opinions.

I'm in the manual awning camp.

Ron
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2024, 10:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
In 2019 I took my 2017 19 foot back to Escape to have the electric awning replaced with a manual. In 2017 only electric awnings were offered manual was not an option. Escape told me that 50 percent of their customers love the electric the other 50 percent love the manual
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We ended up choosing the manual awning for a few reasons.

The first was the added cost. (Darn Budgets). The second was how easy the manual awing is to setup and take in. The third was because we can angle it way down for cleaning (leaves, etc) prior to stowing.

I do like the clean lines of the power awning though. Best of luck!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep View Post
.... We have a traditional electric awning on it and like it ALOT, with no problems in 8 years. ... We DON'T however have a good handle on the Electric Dometic Awning given as an option on the new camper. ...
I think if you search posts related to issues with the Dometic electric awning you'll find that most problems are related to awning adjustment or sensor batteries. Those don't seem to be frequent issues and most seem to be relatively easily resolved.

My overall impression is that the vast majority of those who have the electric seem happy with their choice over the long run - the Dometic electric seems to be as robust as any of the similar type. Given your experience and "ALOT" of satisfaction with your current electric awning, and assuming it is the cantilever-type similar to the Dometic, I'd not anticipate any different with the particular Dometic awning ETI installs.

Note, though, that if you have the type with the option to drop-down and anchor built-in legs at the outer corners (e.g. some Fiamma electric models) the Dometic installed by ETI does not offer that feature which might bear on your choice (the Dometic electric only functions as a pure cantilever awning, has no built-in legs which can be deployed as an optional setup configuration).

Your experience with both manual and electric awnings likely makes you familiar with the legitimate pros and cons of each which are the basis for the fairly evenly split camps represented here (I happen to be happy with my manual awning).

Congrats on your impending E21!
Old 03-26-2024, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I think if you search posts related to issues with the Dometic electric awning you'll find that most problems are related to awning adjustment or sensor batteries. Those don't seem to be frequent issues and most seem to be relatively easily resolved.

My overall impression is that the vast majority of those who have the electric seem happy with their choice over the long run - the Dometic electric seems to be as robust as any of the similar type. Given your experience and "ALOT" of satisfaction with your current electric awning, and assuming it is the cantilever-type similar to the Dometic, I'd not anticipate any different with the particular Dometic awning ETI installs.

Note, though, that if you have the type with the option to drop-down and anchor built-in legs at the outer corners (e.g. some Fiamma electric models) the Dometic installed by ETI does not offer that feature which might bear on your choice (the Dometic electric only functions as a pure cantilever awning, has no built-in legs which can be deployed as an optional setup configuration).

Your experience with both manual and electric awnings likely makes you familiar with the legitimate pros and cons of each which are the basis for the fairly evenly split camps represented here (I happen to be happy with my manual awning).

Congrats on your impending E21!
Thanks for that. Our electric awning is like most of the other awnings I've ever seen. It has struts on either side and can be pulled down at the corners to release unwanted water or debris. The Domestic seems to be a totally different design. That is why I am seeking feedback from someone who has one. I will try the search engine again. Unfortunately, there really aren't that many posts re buyer's satisfaction. Thank you for your response....and your congrats!
Old 03-26-2024, 12:21 PM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Search for the number of electric awning failures and then search for the number of manual awning failures. Probably 10 or more electric failures to each manual failure, although I can't remember a single manual failure.

We wanted an awning that worked in heavy rain. The manual awning wins that hand down.

We wanted an awning that worked in heavier winds. Again the manual is better, but closer to the electric awning.

If you don't care about rain, then the electric awning is for you. It's great for shading the sun and goes in and out with the push of a button (till that fails).

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 03-26-2024, 12:35 PM   #9

Thanks. Good info. We are leaning, at this point, toward the manual.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Don't forget the windows

If you're planning to get frameless windows, hinged at the top, the closed manual awning can interfere with the windows. You need to make sure you've closed the obstructed windows before stowing the manual awning.

The electric awning doesn't have this problem, and the manual awning works fine with the slider windows.

So many decisions.... so much fun...
Old 03-26-2024, 01:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I have the electric awning on my 2018 19 and have been very happy with it. It works great, and I have a routine where I can use it in the rain. I love its sleek look, the automatic wind sensor, and the fact the awning rolls up so it's not exposed to the elements. That said, I had no choice but to get this option, as at the time, it's all ETI offered for an awning. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely not get it.

Why?? It's just one more electronic gizmo that will eventually fail. It also requires yet another remote control to keep track of, and the wind sensor starts chirping when the batteries are about to die. This happened on one trip where I was camped way out in the middle of nowhere. I did not have spare batteries, so I took the failing ones out, which solved the chirping problem but made it so I couldn't use the awning for the rest of the trip. I've since made sure to always carry spare batteries, but again, it's another freaking thing to have to think about bringing along.

My Escape is now in its 7th year of camping, and every time I put the awning out, I worry that it won't go back in, or that it will get damaged and not go in straight. It just seems to me that the manual awning is more robust, will last a lot longer if properly cared for, and would mean I have fewer things to worry about. Yes the convenience of the electric awning is really nice, but is it worth the expense and the trouble?? These are pros and cons that should be weighed before anyone makes a decision. The electric awning is not a cheap option, and for me, there are a lot of others I would prioritize a lot higher.

Hope this helps!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM   #12

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
When I look back at the start of our configuration on our 21C I chuckle every time on where we started and where we ended.

The great thing about Escape is the available options and the bad thing about Escape is the available options. Just wait until you start picking fabric, laminate and decal colors.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM   #13

It helps immensely to hear from someone who owns and has experience with this particular electric awning. Thank you !
Old 03-26-2024, 03:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I have the electric awning on my 2018 19 and have been very happy with it. It works great, and I have a routine where I can use it in the rain. I love its sleek look, the automatic wind sensor, and the fact the awning rolls up so it's not exposed to the elements. That said, I had no choice but to get this option, as at the time, it's all ETI offered for an awning. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely not get it.

Why?? It's just one more electronic gizmo that will eventually fail. It also requires yet another remote control to keep track of, and the wind sensor starts chirping when the batteries are about to die. This happened on one trip where I was camped way out in the middle of nowhere. I did not have spare batteries, so I took the failing ones out, which solved the chirping problem but made it so I couldn't use the awning for the rest of the trip. I've since made sure to always carry spare batteries, but again, it's another freaking thing to have to think about bringing along.

My Escape is now in its 7th year of camping, and every time I put the awning out, I worry that it won't go back in, or that it will get damaged and not go in straight. It just seems to me that the manual awning is more robust, will last a lot longer if properly cared for, and would mean I have fewer things to worry about. Yes the convenience of the electric awning is really nice, but is it worth the expense and the trouble?? These are pros and cons that should be weighed before anyone makes a decision. The electric awning is not a cheap option, and for me, there are a lot of others I would prioritize a lot higher.

Hope this helps!!
It helps immensely to hear from someone who owns and has experience with this particular electric awning. Thank you !
Old 03-26-2024, 03:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2023 Escape E23
My new camper came with an electric awning and have had no issues in the short time I've had it, but if I were doing a build and had the choice, I would go with the manual awning. My previous unit had a manual and I have had a few issues with it but was always able to deal with them without too much problems. The manual awning has held up and been very useful in some pretty rough weather that I don't think my new awning would. Once again, it is all about personal choice and it great that Escape gives you a choice.
Unit # 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
If you're planning to get frameless windows, hinged at the top, the closed manual awning can interfere with the windows. You need to make sure you've closed the obstructed windows before stowing the manual awning.

The electric awning doesn't have this problem, and the manual awning works fine with the slider windows.

Thanks.! We will take that into consideration.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:20 PM   #17

Thumbs up Thank you for the input!

We've decided on the manual, and that...I believe, was the final decision . All the best, Beep and Ed
Old 03-26-2024, 04:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:

I agree that window choice would be the strongest influence in my awning decision.

I seldom open my manual awning....because I use the trailer in an area which is prone to strong and unpredictable winds. I have slider-style framed windows, so ventilation is never an issue. However, the closed manual awning would really impede the amount on ventilation available from the affected frameless windows. I think it would be even more problematic with acrylic windows (which I understand is an upcoming option on all models).

BTW...I thought that ETI had switched the vendor for their electric awning option from Dometic to Girard (still a cantilever style). I recall learning that when I configured my trailer last year. Perhaps it was only a temporary change.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:

I was puzzled by this, so took at look at some photos. Sure enough, with the frameless windows that open on the top, the manual-awning arms could hit the open window when you close the awning (on all models?). Also, the arms could prevent the frameless windows from opening fully (not that they open very far).

So if I were getting the frameless windows (which are better in the rain), I'd get the electric awning.

Our used 21C came with frameless windows and an electric awning. We haven't used the awning much, but when we did, it worked fine. Woke me up from a nap one time when the winds got high and it decided to retract: "What the dickens?" I said, before I realized what was happening.

As salmo7000 says, an electric awning (with wind sensor!) is another gizmo that can go wrong. But if I were buying new, I'd still want the 'frameless' windows (or maybe the new acrylics, which open farther), so I'd still need the electric awning.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
But if I were buying new, I'd still want the 'frameless' windows (or maybe the new acrylics, which open farther), so I'd still need the electric awning.

Its my understanding that some frameless window customers have asked for a slider in the position where the awning arm would contact the frameless window. This gives you most of the benefits of the frameless window without the negative aspect of the arm contacting the rear PS window.

Tags
electric awning, review electric awning