Propane Tank Valve is stuck - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Propane Tank Valve is stuck

Hello everyone. Thankfully this isn't on my trailer, with warmer weather I wanted to do some grilling and tried to turn on the tank to ol' Weber BBQ and couldn't get it to turn to the open position. Tried the grill thinking maybe it was already open. Nope, no propane flowing. I have another tank and changed it out.

I can't muscle it open, can't seem to get a wrench to grip it. Took some WD-40 and sprayed it and let it sit. Still won't open.

Any of you smarter people out there have any ideas before I simply take it and exchange it for a new(er) one. Hate to waste the propane that's still in there. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Is it frozen? Our regulators usually freeze during the winter...hair dryer, set it in the sun or bring into the house for a minute.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reetiredx2 View Post
Is it frozen? Our regulators usually freeze during the winter...hair dryer, set it in the sun or bring into the house for a minute.

It's been out for several days in the yard soaking up the WD40. Hasn't been below freezing for those days. Thanks for the hair dryer idea, maybe warming the valve could loosen something.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Best wishes....we have Weber’s Baby Q....stuck like chuck in the winter...unless we thawed it. Meaning check that as well! ����
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I saw this happen to someone at one of the Quartzsite gatherings. I tried everything I could think of but no luck opening. The trailer owner traded the tank at a propane exchange. Maybe not too ethical, however since many of the exchanges only partially fill their tanks, maybe not...
Old 03-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Hello everyone. Thankfully this isn't on my trailer, with warmer weather I wanted to do some grilling and tried to turn on the tank to ol' Weber BBQ and couldn't get it to turn to the open position. Tried the grill thinking maybe it was already open. Nope, no propane flowing. I have another tank and changed it out.

I can't muscle it open, can't seem to get a wrench to grip it. Took some WD-40 and sprayed it and let it sit. Still won't open.

Any of you smarter people out there have any ideas before I simply take it and exchange it for a new(er) one. Hate to waste the propane that's still in there. Thanks for any advice.
My guess is that the valve is already open, but the excess flow valve in the hose fitting had tripped and nearly shut off the propane flow. When the hose is removed another valve closes so that you might not notice that the main valve is still open; when the replacement tank was installed it would work because the excess flow valve would have reset. My suggestion is to try closing it... which will be difficult even if my guess is right because it's jammed open. If it is still open, then if you hook it back up again it might work, if connecting the hose to a wide-open tank doesn't trip the excess flow valve again.

It's a good thing a wrench doesn't fit - people would be breaking these things all the time if it were easy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Steven, Can you take a careful measurement from a given point on the valve wheel to a point under the wheel, the object being a comparison to your other tank? This way you may be able to definitely determine if the valve is open or closed. Probably did not word this well, but hopefully you get the idea.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My guess is that the valve is already open, but the excess flow valve in the hose fitting had tripped and nearly shut off the propane flow. When the hose is removed another valve closes so that you might not notice that the main valve is still open; when the replacement tank was installed it would work because the excess flow valve would have reset. My suggestion is to try closing it... which will be difficult even if my guess is right because it's jammed open. If it is still open, then if you hook it back up again it might work, if connecting the hose to a wide-open tank doesn't trip the excess flow valve again.

It's a good thing a wrench doesn't fit - people would be breaking these things all the time if it were easy.
Think I have an idea of what you're thinking. Will, if I remember, try it in the morning.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
I assume that you are talking about the five gallon tank? I had the same problem last year. I unstuck the OPD valve by dropping it (in the upright position) several times onto a handy tree stump.

https://everythingwhat.com/how-do-yo...-propane-valve
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #10

Stuck Open

Yes it seems to be stuck open, can't force it closed I don't have the hand or arm strength. Took pictures of the valve placement, the first is the stuck tank and the second is a closed tank I have.
Attached Thumbnails
20210313_122248[1].jpg   20210313_122259[1].jpg  
Old 03-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
OK. I was talking about the internal OPD valve, not the on/off valve in the photo. Do a web search for 'stuck propane tank valve' and you will find all sorts of suggestions.
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes it seems to be stuck open, can't force it closed I don't have the hand or arm strength. Took pictures of the valve placement, the first is the stuck tank and the second is a closed tank I have.
In your first post, you said you used a wrench to try and open it.

Quote:
You'll need to use a wrench to close it now. You should be able to get a grip on the handle with a pair of channel locks to start it. Once you get a quarter turn or so it should move freely.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote