Sail Switch Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Sail Switch Questions

There are many recurring posts involving sail switches, including cleaning, bending and/or replacement.

I want to stock up on parts that I may need when we get our new 22C, including sail switches. Which appliances use them, and do they all use the same switch, or will I need to have several different ones? Is there anything else that could function as a substitute? Is it a standard part number? What is the best source, ETI, Amazon?

Are there special tools, techniques needed to clean or replace, or is it pretty much plug and play?

(do not currently have an Escape, so I cannot go and look).
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest you contact Dustin in parts at Escape factory. Depending on model he can inform you which part is needed. I do not carry spare parts but my trips are all less than 30 days, as Donna states :YMMV>>>>>
Old 10-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Sail switch

A sail switch is ONLY used in the furnace. Wait until you get your rig to know for certain the exact model furnace you have, then get your spare. Not exactly plug and play with replacement, but with the access now available on newer models, much less labor intensive.

Best spare part is a good credit card. If it ain't broke....yet...don't fret. A range of fuses, a multi-meter, some basic tools.......a roll of duct tape & the tubes of JB Weld epoxy will get you far.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Thanks, that clears up some questions I had. Was hoping there was a universal solution, but guess that is folly with an rv.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Had an 80s camper with a sail switch on a Suburban furnace; the switch part was actually a Micro Switch brand switch. Maybe $5 each these days , less then - always carried a spare or two and had spade connectors on the wiring so it was simple to just replace the switch on the sail and get heat again. Good experiment would be to mount 2 of them in parallel and see it that conquers the lint/hair problem, but that would depend on the start sequence logic.

Guess I'm blessed, a 2014 21 with 3 dogs and have never had the furnace problem (yet.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021
General the sail part of switch is ok and lasts almost forever but the micro switch can fail anytime plus new switches are junk or poorly made .
whatme34 is offline   Reply With Quote