Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2022, 04:31 AM   #161

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
I might look into a Dickinson https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...op/00-2BP.html. (It’s out of stock).
Thanks Perry.
I made the mistake of showing Terry the Dickinson stovetop about a week after my explosion. A couple of days after we ordered the Dickinson I realized the SDS2 stove could be easily fixed, but at that point there was no going back.

In late July we replaced the entire countertop, sink, faucet, and also installed the Dickinson cooktop. The Dickinson is a superior product, but it better be at over $600. Terry loves the new Dickinson! I would have been happy with a repaired SDS2, but she cooks, I just eat.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-04-2022, 07:09 AM   #162

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I made the mistake of showing Terry the Dickinson stovetop about a week after my explosion. A couple of days after we ordered the Dickinson I realized the SDS2 stove could be easily fixed, but at that point there was no going back.

In late July we replaced the entire countertop, sink, faucet, and also installed the Dickinson cooktop. The Dickinson is a superior product, but it better be at over $600. Terry loves the new Dickinson! I would have been happy with a repaired SDS2, but she cooks, I just eat.

Enjoy,

Perry
I initially looked into getting the Dickson also. But, even where I looked it had a 3 month back order and I needed the cooktop prior to the New Year.

I'm glad I contacted Escape. They offered the new Dometic cooktop the are using at a fraction of the price of the Dickson.

My wife and I both like the new Dometic cooktop. In addition to having offset controls and burners, the flame has a much greater range and is easier to control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The new Dometic cooktop is more square than the previous Suburban cooktop.

At least in my trailer the rounded part in the middle was about a 1/2" wider (side to side) and 1/2" deeper (front to back) than specified for the Dometic cooktop.

The corners of the opening needed to be cut out to accommodate the Dometic cooktop.

The Dometic cooktops uses 4 metal corner reinforcements to seat it. These fit perfectly as they were in the areas I had to cut out to square it. I cut those areas to the exact size specified by Dometic.

The only issue I had was the two screws that hold it down were half in the wider area side to side.

I used part of the Suburban cooktop' plastic corner mounts and used that to screw up into the counter top from the bottom, and then receive the screws from the Dometic cooktop.

Attachment 60125

Attachment 60126

The new Dometic stove top is a much nicer unit over all.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:21 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
My 2019 camper has the SDS2 cooktop. Yesterday, on FB, I read about an explosion an Escape owner had, and found this thread here, today. I’ve read the last several pages, and found no remedy except to report it. Which, of course it should be reported.
Please do take the time to report your propane leak to the NHTSA. Had everyone taken the the time to report their stove issues to the NHTSA, it is likely you would have been notified of the issue via a recall rather than finding out about it on Facebook.

Quote:
If NHTSA gets enough complaints they will prompt Suburban to recall the stove.

To file a complaint on the stove you need your trailer VIN, the make and model of the stove Suburban SDS2,. and preferably the stove serial number too.

I called the 800 number:
Vehicle Safety Hotline
888-327-4236, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm ET

Or you can file online at:

NHTSA Report a Safety Problem
Old 01-04-2022, 11:16 AM   #164

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I initially looked into getting the Dickson also. But, even where I looked it had a 3 month back order and I needed the cooktop prior to the New Year.
Probably a good decision. A friend ordered their stove for a reno in his boat. It had a 3 month back order, which turned into another wait on back order which turned into another. At that point he gave up and kept his old stove.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #165
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
I ordered a Dickinson 2 burner cook top in September and was notified it's on backorder until January. Notified earlier this week that it's NOW on backorder until March.

Unlike TTMartin, we can wait until it's available, be it March or Sept this year. We have other cooking options, and always cook outside, so we haven't used the Suburban since this whole issue arose.

The only "inside propane" (really they're outside) usage is the water heater and furnace - so unless there's leakage after the Suburban valves, we should be good.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:08 AM   #166

Us Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Please don’t whine on this thread. It really does no good here and clutters up the intention of this thread. I’m trying to be proactive, not reactive.

Are there any others that have had leaking with your Suburban SDS2 stovetop?

The list below is those who have expressed their stove has leaked gas from a broken feeder pipe from the control to the burner:
NWTraveler
Effie
Perryb67
CarlNH
j3cub
Dee
bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com
Fun Pig
Eggscape
I'm trying to get my letter written for Karl and Melissa at Escape and the NHTSA.

When I contacted Melissa at Escape last week only three of us have actually taken the time to contact either Melissa or Karl. Contacting Dustin does no good! If you haven’t already, please call/e-mail/write Melissa or Karl, and if using mail or e-mail ask for a response acknowledging they received the notification.

To repeat, "Are there any others that have had leaking with your Suburban SDS2 stovetop?"

After I contact another Escape Forum member I'll be posting the cheap fix that will make these stoves as reliable as any other, including the Dickinson. I wish I had known about this fix before we purchased our $629 Dickinson stovetop! You've waited this long, so you can wait a day or two until I post the simple correction. AND those that have the problem can have your stove fixed with under $20 (probably less) in easily obtainable parts. Patience grasshopper!

Again, please don’t whine on this thread. It really does no good. I’m trying to be proactive, not reactive.

Thanks,

Perry
We smelled gas. Traced it to the left burner. Aluminum tube was broken. Couldn’t find parts anywhere.
Bladesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesong View Post
We smelled gas. Traced it to the left burner. Aluminum tube was broken. Couldn’t find parts anywhere.
Please take the time to report your issue to the NHTSA.

Quote:
If NHTSA gets enough complaints they will prompt Suburban to recall the stove.

To file a complaint on the stove you need your trailer VIN, the make and model of the stove Suburban SDS2,. and preferably the stove serial number too.

I called the 800 number:
Vehicle Safety Hotline
888-327-4236, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm ET

Or you can file online at:

NHTSA Report a Safety Problem
Old 01-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #168

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The line breaks after the control knobs on the stove. If you don’t turn on the stove…there is no problem.
Thanks, I was thinking the defect was the inline tubing coming leading from the propane tanks. Now that I see your picture, I’ll have a good idea of what to look for. That is, two smaller aluminum (not copper) lines that are part of the stove.

I still don’t know if my stove is leaking. It’s too cold for me to go out today, plus I haven’t gotten my gas sniffing gadget yet.

Maybe I’ll be lucky, and not have a leak. For now.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #169

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
The new Dometic cooktop is more square than the previous Suburban cooktop.

At least in my trailer the rounded part in the middle was about a 1/2" wider (side to side) and 1/2" deeper (front to back) than specified for the Dometic cooktop.

The corners of the opening needed to be cut out to accommodate the Dometic cooktop.

The Dometic cooktops uses 4 metal corner reinforcements to seat it. These fit perfectly as they were in the areas I had to cut out to square it. I cut those areas to the exact size specified by Dometic.

The only issue I had was the two screws that hold it down were half in the wider area side to side.

I used part of the Suburban cooktop' plastic corner mounts and used that to screw up into the counter top from the bottom, and then receive the screws from the Dometic cooktop.

Attachment 60125

Attachment 60126

The new Dometic stove top is a much nicer unit over all.
I'm sure glad to see the photos you posted (#104 in this thread) of this new Dometic D21 cooktop. It's great that ETI is providing the model with the cast iron grates instead of the steel wire grates; cast iron works so much better in my experience. (The steel grates warped with the first use on the new Amana range in our house, and now the pans rock and skitter around. A complaint to Amana went unanswered.)
Old 01-18-2022, 04:09 PM   #170

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We also had the issue. Valve to manifold (?) tubing end ferrule broke off at the valve end. Fortunately the Escape propane sniffer/detector sounded off. Since no replacement parts were available, I had a friend with a machine shop reattach the ferrule. I replaced the tubing using some propane safe pipe thread compound. I also put lock washers on both valves (knobs) on the stove. I also purchased a propane sniffer, and use my nose and the sniffer every time we use the stove. In the 6 mos since we fixed the problem we haven't had an additional issue.

Here's a picture of the offending part, fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6642.jpg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #171

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder why a flexible connection is not used/available?
Old 01-18-2022, 04:56 PM   #172

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Probably several reasons, cost being the top one. The flex connector is between the cooktop and the branch line that feeds it. If everything is designed correctly, the unit should be stable as the issue is with the mounting of the control knobs. I installed the lockwashers and put locktite on and have had no problems.

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:29 PM   #173

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPABrahma View Post
Yes we are talking about that EXACTLY. Don’t argue about it, file the GD report with the NHSA. That is the ONLY. thing ya tone can do to force a recall, not babble on and on in a forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPABrahma View Post
No one does what is right until they are forced to. File an NSHA report.
GD report? Hmmm. Where are ya really from TPABrahma Bro
Old 01-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #174

Trailer: 2020 E-19
In the continuing saga of my Suburban cooktop.... I've mentioned my history with the Escape-approved aftermarket warranty folks (in this case State Trailer in Peoria, AZ) and, as of today, their service people have no additional info from Suburban re replacement of the line from the left-side control knob to the left-side burner. This morning I had a local, highly-recommended, mobile RV service person out (for this and a hot water heater burner cleaning and contact spacing check). He did some sleuthing and learned Suburban no longer makes that part; and his two main suppliers, neither of which has one in stock, agreed. Seems the only option is replacing the unit.
However, I'm reluctant to contact ETI until their "approved vendor" concedes that the only option is replacement.
As Kurt Vonnegut noted: "and so it goes."
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:57 PM   #175

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
In the continuing saga of my Suburban cooktop.... I've mentioned my history with the Escape-approved aftermarket warranty folks (in this case State Trailer in Peoria, AZ) and, as of today, their service people have no additional info from Suburban re replacement of the line from the left-side control knob to the left-side burner. This morning I had a local, highly-recommended, mobile RV service person out (for this and a hot water heater burner cleaning and contact spacing check). He did some sleuthing and learned Suburban no longer makes that part; and his two main suppliers, neither of which has one in stock, agreed. Seems the only option is replacing the unit.
However, I'm reluctant to contact ETI until their "approved vendor" concedes that the only option is replacement.
As Kurt Vonnegut noted: "and so it goes."
By now, after all this time & with the info above- am hoping you hold ETI's feet to the fire. They haven't been proactive or IMO responsible with this situation.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #176

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
He did some sleuthing and learned Suburban no longer makes that part; and his two main suppliers, neither of which has one in stock, agreed. Seems the only option is replacing the unit.
So my fairly new trailer now has a stove for which repair parts aren't available. I think that's about the quickest anything that I've ever owned has become obsolete.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:22 PM   #177

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
So my fairly new trailer now has a stove for which repair parts aren't available. I think that's about the quickest anything that I've ever owned has become obsolete.

Ron
Yep! However, I would think that any decent appliance parts place could fix you up with the tubing to replace? They might even make up one for you if you took the old/broken one in. Or, at least they used to do that in my neck of the woods.
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:42 PM   #178

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I'm sorry to have to write this message, and I hope it is on the correct thread. If it should be on another thread, or a thread of its own, please feel free to advise--I will not take offense.

I have just gotten off the phone following an extended conversation with my baby brother (let's call him BB for short), the owner of a 2019 Escape 21 with the two burner SDS2 Suburban cook top. BB and his wife have been traveling across the southern US on their way to their ultimate destination of Boston to visit their grandchild and celebrate his first birthday.

They stopped at an RV park outside of Little Rock this evening where they intend to wait out the storm currently bearing down on the east coast. Started to prepare dinner when, you guessed it, there was an explosion in the cabinet beneath the kitchen counter. The result was singed hair for both of them, first and possibly second degree burns on the wife's wrist, and some melting of the synthetic fabric around the waist of BB's sweat shirt.As is often the case, other, hopefully minor injuries may become apparent later.

BB reports that the explosion blew out all of the openable windows in the trailer, and apparently sprung the door, though it seems to still operable.

BB is sending an e-mail off to Escape Industries, and will be documenting injuries and damages for insurance and legal purposes.

Due to the fact they are on the road, BB has asked me to write to the Forum and seek advice on how others in this position have proceeded and ask what success they have had in getting resolution to the issue of exploding cook tops.

Any comments, suggestions and or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:35 PM   #179
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
This is exactly the right place to post it. And while I agree they need to file a report with the NHTSA, that's little consolation to another owner injured by a stove that they didn't know was a hazard - and ETI could have told them.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:42 PM   #180

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Perhaps my decision to move out of the Escape world was the correct one. Grant has the reputation of fiercely supporting his customers. However there is no equity firm owning it, he, like the old days, is the sole owner. How hard was it to notify users of a potential issue with these
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote