Washing the trailer - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #61

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
roof

I'm probably swimming upstream here based on all the previous posts but I'm wondering why anyone cares what the roof of their trailer looks like? I've never seen it and hope I never do. If I don't wax it will it be unfit for use in 20 years?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
I'm probably swimming upstream here based on all the previous posts but I'm wondering why anyone cares what the roof of their trailer looks like? I've never seen it and hope I never do. If I don't wax it will it be unfit for use in 20 years?
I washed my trailer today and applied 2 coats of synthetic marine wax to the roof . Why ? Cause I wanted something to do , l want to protect the gel coat , I am attracted to shiny things and I am really anal .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Maybe, because when you're reaching with a brush on a pole, you're also looking at the vent caps and caulking and paying attention. Because you know major water damage to these all-molded-towables happens from the top down. I don't give a $%^# if the underside ever gets washed and waxed (I also don't live in a state where they salt the highways during snow storms)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #64

Trailer: 17
Well in the thread Hugh, some folks were protecting the UV damage on parts up there and me, I was asking how I should instruct an RV tech working on the A/C (scorching hot climate here). I've had roof flex break caulk seals around A/C and vents before then leak. All unseen by the eye. A lot of maintaining or preserving can happen up there over the years.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #65

Got it

No A/C and not in Arizona so I will take my chances. This trailer will outlive me.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #66

Btw

Quote:
No A/C and not in Arizona so I will take my chances. This trailer will outlive me.
I get that the seals and non fiberglass pieces need to be protected from UV and intend to do that but my issue was with waxing the roof
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I find Simonize Wash 'n' Wax is sufficient for the roof.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
The roof will deteriorate more than any other part of the shell no matter where you live. It is certainly your choice how you want to maintain your trailer and you don't have to wash or wax anything if you don't want to. I have rehabbed several vintage Scamps where very little maintenance was ever done. I've known folks that never do any services including wheel bearings, and they seem to keep rolling along, sometimes.
Doing semi-annual wash wax on my one year old 19 roof last fall I discovered two major issues that required or will require repair. If I wasn't washing and waxing roof, never would have seen the problems. I look at wash and wax as more of a detailed semi-annual inspection of the trailer that allows me to correct issues before they become major and ruin a trip.
As far as what these trailers will look like after 20 years, we won't know that answer until about 2025 when the first ones made exceed 20 years.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 AM   #69

Quote:
.....but my issue was with waxing the roof
Does your roof have gel coat? Do you get uv in Calgary? If so, Rease says protect from UV, thus wax or 303.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I find Simonize Wash 'n' Wax is sufficient for the roof.
Hi: gbaglo... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If I thought I needed to do major work on the top of my trailer, I'd rent scaffolding I could back the trailer under. Either lay on my stomach or sit with my feet on top of the trailer and work between my knees. I hope I never have to find out.

I did capture this photo from somewhere else. Since I have a carport like this one, I thought the photo may be useful
Rube Goldberg comes to mind and perhaps Peter Pan.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I park my 19' right beside my 2 story house and have a great vantage point of the roof of the Escape from my bedroom window. It is obvious from looking down on them that the roofs of these trailers can accumulate a lot of dirt, leaves and other crap. Crap attracts crap and things only get worse with time. Often if you leave it in place, rainfall and rotting vegetation may result in staining of your roofs gel coat, which can be a real challenge to remove. My preference is to wash the roof a couple times a year when I wash the rest of the Escape. Then the whole trailer is nice and shiny and the view from my bedroom window is much better.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #73

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Does your roof have gel coat? Do you get uv in Calgary? If so, Rease says protect from UV, thus wax or 303.
A really great ladder for our trailers is a "Little Giant " suggested by Ron in BC . You can get in closer and safer then a regular A frame ladder . Because we shouldn't get on our trailer roofs . The "Little Giant " also can be made into a A Frame if need be. The best ladder I have ever owned . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #74

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As Reace has said, the biggest problem with fiberglass trailers is UV damage. And as Greg says, that is the roof. So we use 303 up there. From a ladder.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #75

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I can just make it for washing and 303ing the roof on this ladder. Bought at Menard's.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0771.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #76

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have a 4 ft , 6 ft , 8 ft , 10 ft , and 24 ft extension ladder.
( All Industrial rated fiberglass ) Yet it still seem that none of them is the right size for the project at hand.
My next purchase is going to be an adjustable bakers scaffold plus getting my knees fixed so I can climb the ladder without crying
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #77
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I wash and wax the trailer because I like the look of the gelcoat when it gleams in the sun. Wouldn't make much sense to have shiny sides and an oxidized dull roof. And yes, you can see it, particularly if you're camped in the mountains or hills and your campsite is below you as you approach. It's mainly cosmetic of course, but as others have mentioned, doing the roof gives you the chance to inspect all the roof mounted vents and caulking for any potential leaks as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #78

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Don't pressure wash, and don't use dish soap. High pressure water picks up dirt particles and pushes it into your paint or gel coat. Dish soap strips off all protectant and etches the surface. I only pressure wash my truck when it's really bad in the winter.

I have always used Meguiars car wash and a mit. Recently I changed to Toyota car wash, just as good and cheaper
Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Don't pressure wash, and don't use dish soap. High pressure water picks up dirt particles and pushes it into your paint or gel coat. Dish soap strips off all protectant and etches the surface. I only pressure wash my truck when it's really bad in the winter.

I have always used Meguiars car wash and a mit. Recently I changed to Toyota car wash, just as good and cheaper
Hi: Doug2000... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #80

Pressure wash standing away at an angle= you make it low pressure mist.