Weight capacity question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2023, 06:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19' sold, 2022 21C
Weight capacity question

I have a 2022 21C. I'm fully aware of the listed 150 lb limitation of the 2" receiver. My question is - does anyone have a clue what the weight carrying capacity is of the back bumper? I have removed my spare and mounted it under the front tongue. I have also removed the post which carries the spare on the back. So... I feel +/- 200lb is well within limit. I have attachments which create a platform - attaching directly to the bumper. This keeps my carried contents closer to the trailer and wider. Curious as to how much weight I could carry. The attached apparatus itself is rated at 600lb carrying capacity. I'm not looking for that much but wondering if anyone has knowledge of said limitation/rating (bumper). Thanks for any thoughts on this subject.
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
..... I have attachments which create a platform - attaching directly to the bumper. ....
Just curious, can you post pics of this attachment and platform system? Is it anchored to only the bumper, or also to the frame rails extending forward from the bumper? Attached using "U" bolts around the steel members or ....?

Separate from structural considerations, I'm avoiding questions about the effect of this load on overall trailer weight bias (tongue weight as % of total loaded-for-travel trailer weight).
Old 12-01-2023, 10:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
There are members that have attached huge aluminum boxes on the back. I am sure the will post pictures soon.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
There are members that have attached huge aluminum boxes on the back. I am sure the will post pictures soon.
One example: 5.0TA Cargo Box (Jim Bennett)

Not a bumper-pull trailer, but I believe that the 5.0's rear bumper structure is essentially the same as the OP's E21.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just curious, can you post pics of this attachment and platform system? Is it anchored to only the bumper, or also to the frame rails extending forward from the bumper? Attached using "U" bolts around the steel members or ....?

Separate from structural considerations, I'm avoiding questions about the effect of this load on overall trailer weight bias (tongue weight as % of total loaded-for-travel trailer weight).
I agree, leaving out the effect on trailer tongue weight etc. this is a straight forward calculation based on the size of the rectangular tube. Not absolutely straight forward based on the length of the cantilever because the body attachment points do add some support.

I do think that the upper structural limit would be less than the weight that would make any semblance of a reasonable trailer tongue weight. Or, in other words, I don't think the rear weight would be the limiting factor.

In my case I did add a large rear box, based on a ready made platform. I did move the spare tire forward. The end result is that I'm, at most, only carrying an extra 20-30# on the rear. Additionally, there is a secondary attachment point directly to the point where the frame and bumper join.

Zero problems with this setup and the convenience of the box has definitely proven itself.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-01-2007 8-33-25 PM_0005_resize.jpg   22-10-2020 5-48-43 PM_0007_resize.jpg   IMGP0023_resize.jpg   08-11-2020 12-11-34 PM_0013_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 19' sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Centex - trailer is in storage. I will post pics next time I visit it. I used multiple pairs of Cargo carrier brackets from 'GENNYGO'. Each pair (for what it's worth) states 200 lb capacity. I simply put aluminum rails over the brackets for the platform. About 4.25 feet in width. Currently using 2pairs (4 brackets). I did not tie into vertical frame coming from front. I did, however use frame supports which attach to the vertical and offer additional support to the rear frame. Again, for what it's worth, they state this increases carrying capacity of rear bumper. Total weight of my system is approx 25 lb +/-. I had to make blocks in order for the brackets to attach. They need a 4x4 bumper. This posting brought in some serious rear attachments/boxes for viewing. I'm not that talented. If the receiver can handle 150... I feel safe in placing 200 +/- (175 cargo / 25 brackets/platform) on the rear bumper. Tire and tire carrier removed.
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
.... I used multiple pairs of Cargo carrier brackets from 'GENNYGO'. ....
Gotchya, that satisfies my curiosity, thanks!

https://mount-n-lock.com/product/gen...tray-supports/