Which is it,15 or 20 amp. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2022, 03:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Which is it,15 or 20 amp.

2014 Escape 19 - the exterior gfci
I thought should be 15 amps. I went to replace and this optional add on poorly installed gfci outdoor outlet that won't reset is 20 amp.

I do not have this detail in my second hand manuals.

I read it matters if I install 15 or 20. RIght now installed is a fresh 20 amp exterior wet environment covered outlet. Green lite is on. No power.

Should it be 15 and might that be why its not showing power while using my testing device?
Attached Thumbnails
20220423_124921.jpg  
dmc94572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The amperage rating of the GFCI has nothing to do with having power or not. If the outlets are wired with 14 gauge wire on a 15A breaker (which I believe they are) then replacing with a 15A GFCI is fine. A 20A is ok too because it is rated higher but it probably costs a few more bucks and would be unnecessary on a 15A circuit.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc94572 View Post
2014 Escape 19 - the exterior gfci
I thought should be 15 amps. I went to replace and this optional add on poorly installed gfci outdoor outlet that won't reset is 20 amp.

I do not have this detail in my second hand manuals.

I read it matters if I install 15 or 20. RIght now installed is a fresh 20 amp exterior wet environment covered outlet. Green lite is on. No power.

Should it be 15 and might that be why its not showing power while using my testing device?
The GFCI not having power has nothing to do with it being 20 amp - you need to go back and check the wiring. By the way, you should use a 15 amp GFCI to meet electrical code as the trailer is wired using 14 ga wire. It's the breaker in the wfco that protects the circuit but a 20 amp outlet has a different socket pattern to distinguish it from a 15 amp.

There are two GFCI protected outlets in your trailer. One is the outside outlet on the passenger side of the trailer. The other is the outlet located below the kitchen sink. They can be wired two different ways depending on your preference.

My preferred method of installing the GFCI in the Escape trailer is to have two GFCI outlets - one installed at the outside outlet and another installed at the kitchen sink outlet. This method is shown in the first pic. That makes resetting the kitchen outlet (the one that most commonly gets tripped) easier as you don't have to go outside to do it.
ps. Don't use wire nuts as shown in the pic.

The way Escape wires the GFCI outlets is like the second picture. The outside outlet is a GFCI and the kitchen outlet is a standard outlet which is wired to the "load" terminals on the outside GFCI.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
GFCI.jpg   GFCI2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2022, 08:09 AM   #4

Ok swapout to 15 pending. Galley non resetable GFCI failure seems remote? Are you suggesting a fresh resetable 15 amp there too, with that little green lite?

As for wiring, is that in the vacinity of breaker box?
Old 04-30-2022, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Ok swapout to 15 pending. Galley non resetable GFCI failure seems remote? Are you suggesting a fresh resetable 15 amp there too, with that little green lite?

As for wiring, is that in the vacinity of breaker box?
Yes. Your trailer has a standard outlet box in the kitchen sink location so it is easy to replace the outlet with a GFCI.

The wires / breaker don't change - just where they land on the outlets. You would not have to change any breaker terminations, etc. - just where the wires terminate on the GCFI outlets. Using two GFCI, you would wire to the "line" terminals on both outlets.

I always hated having to go outside to reset the GFCI on the side of the trailer. With a GFCI installed in both locations, the one you trip can be reset right where you are.

I would suggest using a weather resistant outlet on the outside outlet.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...996792#overlay

The kitchen outlet can be a standard GFCI as it shouldn't see rain.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-0KW/205996763

Why does Escape wire the GFCI in daisy chain (second pic)? It saves the cost of the second GFCI and they cut costs wherever they can. The downside is that you would not believe the number of posts here asking why their kitchen outlet is dead and they don't know why. (outside GFCI tripped)
Old 04-30-2022, 08:38 AM   #6

Power failure may be i guess in the breaker box wiring? If so could they have made access any more difficult?
Old 04-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Power failure may be i guess in the breaker box wiring? If so could they have made access any more difficult?
Using a voltmeter, check the voltage on the line terminals of the GFCI - if it shows approx. 120 volts, the breaker wiring is good.
https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Ma...87&sr=8-6&th=1

An outlet tester is handy to own as it will check both your trailer wiring as well as campground pedestal wiring for miswiring.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...T210/206517824

More than likely, your GFCI is miswired.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:50 PM   #8

I do have two types of volt testers. The plug in variety is simple. The other has pointy objects and a wheel for multiple settings. Clueless how to use it.
I assume the OEM install was wired at least correctly. I mapped to that. I even reversed wiring. Made it worse as the green gfci light did not shine. These wires are dead. Not my first gfci.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #9

Was not trying to be nasty. Sorry if it came out that way.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
This is a 20 amp receptacle, NEMA 5-20R

This is a 15 amp receptacle, NEMA 5-15R

ALL 15 amp GFCI receptacles are capable of passing thru (downline) 20 amps via the LOAD terminals (daisy chain the receptacles to allow one GFCI to protect other regular receptacles downline from it). It has to be capable of 20 amps because NEC allows 15 amp receptacles to be installed on a 20 amp circuit (20 amp breaker and 12 gauge wire) provided there is more than one receptacle.

If 14 gauge wire is used such as in an RV, never use a 20 amp breaker or receptacle.

Charles
Old 05-02-2022, 01:50 AM   #11

Good info!
Old 05-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Good info!
Hi: dcm94572... GFCI's are not infallible. They have been known to fail before. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #13

Understood. I put in a 20 as that was per orig owner what ETI installed. Then i questioned that as I bought a 15. New 20 amp did not work but the little green lite did. Not able to reset. So i put in the 15 amp now installed and same result. Flipped the line vs load to see if i messed up. Same result. Dead. Put it back to what it was when I started and dead.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #14

Solution found. Reread manual and used my Klein Tool to test power. Discovered in fact I had it reversed Line and Load. Thats how it was and I perpetuated the error. Got good counsel here and from a fellow Escape artist. Now ok.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Solution found. Reread manual and used my Klein Tool to test power. Discovered in fact I had it reversed Line and Load. Thats how it was and I perpetuated the error. Got good counsel here and from a fellow Escape artist. Now ok.
Great! You can't imagine how hard it is to help troubleshoot stuff over the internet where you can't look at the problem.

Glad you got it fixed!