Wife needs wifi - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2022, 03:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
We just started with the T-Mobile tower for home WiFi and I had not thought of taking it with us. BUT - that makes perfect sense - thanks!

Also - I may be incorrect about this, but a previous post on this thread mentioned that WeBoost is not compatible with the TV cable that Escape Installs. I thought there was one WeBoost model that did fit those connectors, so it may be worth a call to WeBoost to confirm if you decide to go that route and have the Escape TV cable installed. I spoke with Angie and Rhonda (Adventures in NoMadness on YouTube) at the rally earlier this year and they have a WeBoost they attach to the TV cable, then use an aluminum extension pole with suction cups to elevate the WeBoost antenna and secure the pole to the side of the trailer. They do a lot of videos, but not sure if they did one on the WeBoost.
Good luck, I just did a install of weboost, it’s a road with many different opinions.
Even the weboost tech support gave me conflicting advice.
With that in mind it’s hard to fault Escape putting in the wrong cable wire even when, as I did specifically let them know what I intended to use it for. Extra 12 volt drop line and all…

I can tell you, use the cable line supplied in your weboost kit, TV cable uses a different size connector. Any adapters will decrease the units effectiveness, according to weboost. I’m not even sure there is such an adapter.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm confused why anyone would be attempting to mix TV coax cable and WeBoost antenna cable. Two different types.

Since I have a TV antenna that can be raised high in the sky as well as a WeBoost antenna that goes high on a separate pole the two cables are coiled up inside and I pull out as much as I need depending on which antenna I'm using.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:32 PM   #23
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We researched options in the summer for wifi in the trailer so that I could work remotely while traveling. We found all options to be quite expensive, but then remembered that our vehicle has built in wifi. For $25 a month for 5G, I worked while we were on the road and we cancelled it when our trip was over, with the option to resume any time. It’s a good inexpensive option if your vehicle has it.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm confused why anyone would be attempting to mix TV coax cable and WeBoost antenna cable. Two different types.

Since I have a TV antenna that can be raised high in the sky as well as a WeBoost antenna that goes high on a separate pole the two cables are coiled up inside and I pull out as much as I need depending on which antenna I'm using.

Ron
I may be able to help with your confusion..

I like many others have never dealt with weboost components, plenty of cable and all the usual going back to rabbit ears. I haven’t used a TV antenna or listened to am or fm in quite awhile, so I’m somewhat up to date on things.

You are very familiar with the term R22, you would be surprised with all the people who know nothing about what it is. I know exactly what it is as do you, but there are many things we don’t know of that many others do-I’m not touching a transmission- on and on. In your lane you’ve forgotten more than most will ever learn.

Not having a problem with asking those who know, or should know for guidance can be very helpful. I myself couldn’t get much help from the different resources out there.

There was this guy who’s name popped up on here in the past-Randy., he was selling the weboost product and come to find out-lets say incomplete information.
Him, reviews from supposed know it alls, Escape, weboost tech support-all with different answers. I even had one weboost tech send me, no charge 50’ of TV antenna telling me it was the best out there for my booster, an upgrade due to the thickness.

Finally a lady, Sania who took over for Randy helped me to get it right.

I never trip over what I’ve yet to learn, and try and be understanding of those who are trying to learn.

The lazy people, I have nothing for…
Old 10-26-2022, 10:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quite a confused sounding rant. You Ok?
Old 10-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I had TMobile at home. Mine specifically said not mobile. I know longer have it since they “updated” towers and I lost signal.

I now have StarLink RV which is okay sometimes, and poor signal at other times. I can’t get regular SL where I live. I do not travel with my SL. I rely on my truck and our phones. The SL is permanently mounted at home.

If you get TMobile’s home box, there are hacks to attach external antennas which is what I did in order for it to work at my home.

My only other choice at home is a fixed wireless provider that is extremely poor.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
One advantage of a cell modem (Jetpack, etc) over using the hotspot function of your phone is most modern cell modems have a pair of antenna inputs. With a pair of outside antennas, the cell modem will be wired in the MIMO configuration, providing the gain of the external antennas and a major increase in speed.

While I still carry a cell amplifier, I have not used it on the last two cross country trips - the external antennas have provided coverage on both AT&T and Verizon almost everywhere. In the few places where there was no cell signal (for example Cades Cove in Great Smoky Mountain NP or Big Bend NP), adding the amplifier didn't help.

If you are looking to increase WiFi distance (not cell coverage) look at the Ubiquiti NanoStation as a possible solution. Combined with an AirCube, you can connect to a WiFi station as much as a mile away. While a bit complex for many, of how to put a system together.
I’ve had that system for a while, it works depending upon the parks router, some will just not connect to the ubiquity. When it does it works within the limitations of the parks usually overloaded band width. If I have cell it’s usually better. Starlink just announced their new very expensive mobile antenna for permanent mount on an rv, 2500. 135 a month cost . If I was still working and was traveling to remote places in the NPS like I used to, I’d consider it. Through my old friends still in telecom in the agency, they are using Starlink in the Yellowstone flood area and are deploying it more in remote locations.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Quite a confused sounding rant. You Ok?
That’s not even the half of the nonsense I went thru in untangling the web of misinformation. I didn’t get into the antennas, the placement of each one or the power to the booster.

Anything else you need to ask, feel free…