Winterizing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Winterizing

I’m in the process of winterizing my trailer I drained the hot water tank and low drain fresh water and put the tube in the RV antifreeze I turn off both flippers to stop anything going through the hot water heater but when I turned on the pump air and frenzy water come out the faucet the anti freeze is not being sucked up. What did I do wrong? How do I get it to suck up the antifreeze?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #2

I have the easy winerizing system usually works perfectly
Old 11-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #3

I’m thinking I got air in the system…?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I’m in the process of winterizing my trailer I drained the hot water tank and low drain fresh water and put the tube in the RV antifreeze I turn off both flippers to stop anything going through the hot water heater but when I turned on the pump air and frenzy water come out the faucet the anti freeze is not being sucked up. What did I do wrong? How do I get it to suck up the antifreeze?
Did you also turn the "flipper" on the valve associated with the tube you placed in the antifreeze container? Is the tube firmly fixed to this valve, so that no air can be sucked in under this hose connection (I use a small hose clamp)? Any place the pump can suck in air is a problem. If above are not relevant you might try priming the pump (clear screen cover) with antifreeze, though I have never needed to.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #5

You were right didn’t do the third flipper fixed thank you ,! Sometimes I forget a step
Old 11-14-2021, 09:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
I usually fill the hose going to the bottle of antifreeze, with antifreeze to get as much air out of the system as I can. And, yes, the valve lever has to be in the direction of the port you are feeding the antifreeze to the valve. I start with the faucets off so the pump builds pressure, then open each valve till the output runs solid pink. Then, I'm in the pink.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:25 AM   #7
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Another winterizing question:
I park my Escape under a lean to shelter attached to my barn, (open to the outside on three sides but has a roof over it). I have a small electric heater that I can set to 45 and let run on cold nights. I also have spray foam insulation under the trailer. We plan to take a couple more trips to the South Carolina coast during the winter and I don't want to winterize the trailer if I don't have to. They are calling for a couple of nights in the mid 20's next week.

With the heater on and the extra insulation, how low can the outside temp get before I need to think about winterizing?

Thanks
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My viewpoint on winterizing is to make it as efficient as possible so going from winterized to ready to go doesn’t affect your decision to camp. A $4.00 or so cost for antifreeze vs. the cost of time and money to make repairs (especially for the toilet valve) is a no brainer. As to avoiding the taste of antifreeze in your drinking water, I use a Y at the water source so that I can draw the water into my Brita from the source instead of using the trailer plumbing.