Do I even need an equalizer hitch? Help - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I would wait until you tow with the Tundra. I do not need one with my Ram, but I have an Andersen set up which I use on my cross country trips to Osoyoos Escape rally. Gives me a safer mind set in case of an emergency stop. But towing locally I use -0-.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2006 Casita/2016 Escape
Thank you!!!

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks, Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would wait until you tow with the Tundra. I do not need one with my Ram, but I have an Andersen set up which I use on my cross country trips to Osoyoos Escape rally. Gives me a safer mind set in case of an emergency stop. But towing locally I use -0-.

Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #13

Yea, yea!

That's great! I needed a laugh and you made my day! Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It looks like you need one of these for your jacket (from http://savage.andruschak.net/FTP/hardly-a-davidson.gif):
Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #14

Looks like the E2, but how about when...

Looks like the E2, but it seems you set this hitch up for the height of truck and trailer. What do I do on my next trip when I put an extra 350 lb.s in the truck bed it drops the hitch 3 inches? Unbolt everything and adjust? Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Equalizer Sway Control Hitches 6,000 lb 90-00-0600
True equalizer hitch.
Works very well and have not needed to replace any parts after 4k miles.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape
Unlike the E2 hitch the Equalizer hitch has sway control. To adjust for different weights of the tow vehicle or trailer the adjustment is made at the brackets attached to the trailer A-frame. The whole hitch assembly does not have to be unbolted ! All equalizer hitches should be adjusted for major weight changes in the trailer and tow vehicle before towing.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L View Post
Looks like the E2, but it seems you set this hitch up for the height of truck and trailer. What do I do on my next trip when I put an extra 350 lb.s in the truck bed it drops the hitch 3 inches? Unbolt everything and adjust? Kenny
I agree that this is an issue, with any WD system that is not trivial to adjust.

As an alternative, you could add air springs (such as Firestone Ride-Rite) to the truck, and adjust the air pressure to maintain the same ball height as before hitching, so that the same WD system adjustment would continue to be appropriate. It would likely take only moderate pressure to maintain any desired ride height up to the stock empty height with any load, and very little with just the scooter. Of course, with the air springs you might find that you have no need for the WD system, as long as the rear axle load stays reasonable when both scooter and trailer are added.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that this is an issue, with any WD system that is not trivial to adjust.

As an alternative, you could add air springs (such as Firestone Ride-Rite) to the truck, and adjust the air pressure to maintain the same ball height as before hitching, so that the same WD system adjustment would continue to be appropriate. It would likely take only moderate pressure to maintain any desired ride height up to the stock empty height with any load, and very little with just the scooter. Of course, with the air springs you might find that you have no need for the WD system, as long as the rear axle load stays reasonable when both scooter and trailer are added.
I was going to try the air springs as a first approach before the equalizer hitch. My left leaf springs have sacked so the LHS is about 1/2-3/4" lower than the RHS. I was thinking I could add a little more air on that side to accommodate the sag even when not towing. It was suggested I route the air lines up by the fuel filler neck for ease of applying air adjustment. That would certainly be easier for those with the 5.0.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape
Is your goal to obtain a level tow or sway control ?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
I pulled my Scamp 16 with a Ram 1500 without a WD hitch and am now towing an Escape 21 with the same truck, also without a WD hitch. The Scamp is probably about the same size and weight as your Casita and the Ram 1500 is probably comparable in size and weight to your Tundra. I have pulled the Escape 2600 miles so far. I was sure I would need a WD hitch for the Escape and bought one, but it is still in a box in the garage. The Escape has excellent towing manners. There is less bounce than with the Scamp and absolutely no tendency to sway. Perhaps this is a benefit of tandem axles? The back of my truck settles about 2.5 inches under the tongue weight.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Ditchrider - I think you may have an answer for me about towing with a Ram pickup. I have a Ram 2011, 1500 4x4 with a 21' Escape to be picked up in April 2016, and have been wrestling with purchasing a WDH. I towed a 2012 Casita without a WDH or sway control and had zero problems.

I did have problems lowering my tailgate and hitting the jack handle with the Casita. Do you have that issue with your Ram truck? I understand that 2012 and newer Rams have a slightly shorter tailgate and may not have this problem.

Thanks to your comments, I will forgo the WDH. When you measure from the hole in the shank that attached to your hitch, to the center of the ball, do you need a longer shank to make sure you don't hit the jack handle? I've been looking at some that are from 10" to 18". Any comments would be appreciated.

I have been to Walden a number of times, first being 1973, last being 2015. Walden has grown as have most Colorado towns. I lived in Colorado for many years and and plan to spend time there with our Escape. I will stop by the Love store next time I am there and ask where the Walden ditchrider lives, get directions and stop by.

ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build sheet, hitch, newbies, tow, towing vehicle