New diesel option: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
New diesel option: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado

For those still interested in diesel engines for their tow vehicles, news from the lead-up to the 2018 Detroit Auto Show:
The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Gets an I6 Diesel and 450 Lbs of Weight Savings
I was surprised by this, as I did not see any of the usual widespread rumours and "spy" info. More detail will follow, but this will complete the selection of 3.0 litre six-cylinder diesel engines in the full-sized pickups of the former Big Three automakers. This one is an inline, rather than vee, engine.

There's lots of information about the rest of the truck, and much of it is likely to trigger spirited discussion, but only the diesel engine looked particularly surprising and/or newsworthy to me.

Logically all of this will all apply to the GMC Sierra as well.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #2

The official General Motors release:
Introducing the All-New 2019 Chevrolet Silverado

Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Good for them. Another option and another choice. That's always good.

Just a general observation however - not trying to start a fight: I've seen quite a bit of effort from truck makers ever since I started paying attention to it decades ago. Much of it, in my personal opinion, can be summarized as following the leader - trying to knock the F150 off it's perch. If Ford stayed static that might work, but they're not sitting on their laurels. Good luck guys, you'll need it.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've seen quite a bit of effort from truck makers ever since I started paying attention to it decades ago. Much of it, in my personal opinion, can be summarized as following the leader - trying to knock the F150 off it's perch.
GM developed a diesel for their light pickups (the 4.5 Duramax) a decade ago, before economic conditions scrubbed a lot of projects. They've decided to put this new engine (which is a new design, not the 4.5) in production for 2019 with a new generation of the truck; that's one model year (and likely less than one calendar year) after Ford's comparable engine introduction, which means that the new GM engine project was approved several years ago, and the design was complete before the first F-150 diesel prototype as reported. No one is following anyone here; two major competitors in the market are doing similar things, which is not surprising.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
I don't mean following the leader by copying them. I mean it in the sense of being a step behind. There's a reason the F150 has been on top for over 4 decades. Chevy is also going to have to figure out a way to introduce their aluminum body without embarassment, although their redesigned 2019 body and shedding of a few hundred pounds does buy them some time.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #6

Quote:
I don't mean following the leader by copying them. I mean it in the sense of being a step behind
I don't think bringing out the a similar feature in the same year is "a step behind".

Quote:
Chevy is also going to have to figure out a way to introduce their aluminum body without embarassment, although their redesigned 2019 body and shedding of a few hundred pounds does buy them some time.
A lot of us thought the same thing when the ads about tearing aluminum pickup boxes came out - it seemed like short-sighted marketing. I think GM's 2019 body makes sense, using aluminum where it makes most sense... all of the "swinging parts", as one article described it (hood, doors, tailgate). Eventually they may want to change the box interior, but they can alway do composite again instead of aluminum.

And this is where we see the "spirited discussion" of features other than the most notable - the surprise diesel.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I always thought the straight 6 and 8 diesel motors were more robust, like the big rigs. The V-4 and v-6 were made to fit the smaller space in the smaller trucks. The one nice thing they mention in the article is a 10 speed auto and I assume most diesels have a more robust alternator and charging system thus more power available for the trailer.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think bringing out the a similar feature in the same year is "a step behind".

A lot of us thought the same thing when the ads about tearing aluminum pickup boxes came out - it seemed like short-sighted marketing. I think GM's 2019 body makes sense, using aluminum where it makes most sense... all of the "swinging parts", as one article described it (hood, doors, tailgate). Eventually they may want to change the box interior, but they can alway do composite again instead of aluminum.

And this is where we see the "spirited discussion" of features other than the most notable - the surprise diesel.
Seems like with a composite bed you're left wondering if a 5th wheel hitch will hold. The buyer of our 19' Scamp girded his Toyota up with an extra steel plate, and it looked fine to us. But all things being equal....
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought the straight 6 and 8 diesel motors were more robust, like the big rigs. The V-4 and v-6 were made to fit the smaller space in the smaller trucks. The one nice thing they mention in the article is a 10 speed auto and I assume most diesels have a more robust alternator and charging system thus more power available for the trailer.
And if it is the same 10 speed transmission they are putting in the Camaro, it’s development was a joint venture with Ford. Ford chose to put it in the F150 to increase fuel economy, GM chose to introduce it in the Camaro, but I have no idea why. I believe the older 6-speed in the F150 was also a joint effort of Ford and GM.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Casita 17 ft SD 2014 Ram 1500 V8
According to the E-Mail I received , Ram Is upgrading their 1/2 ton truck . Stronger frame , better payload capacity , more aluminum body parts some small interior upgrades , safety upgrades , slight increase in fuel economy with more information to come .
It seems non of the Big 3 are sitting on their hands.

I own a Ram , but the Ford , GMC and Ram all have appeal for me.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote