New tow for 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching

Old 10-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Here is my .02$ worth on the subject. Taken that I have not purchased tires nor brakes on any of my vehicles, or for that matter filled both propane tanks on any of my trailers, over the past 30 years, I look at my final price paid on a new vehicle or trailer similarly to a "tip" paid for good service. If both of us are happy then we have reached an agreement. There are ways the dealer can sweeten a deal with add ons that really do not cost anything to the parties involved. Often called "an arms length transaction" it is freely reached in the open market. As long as you and they are happy then that is all that matters.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Carl,
I tow with a Honda Pilot, and am very happy with it. However, I'm only towing a 17, so my comment has little import.
When I researched tow vehicles, the top candidates ended up being Pilot and Highlander, with Sorrento being a close second tier. I had read of issues with the Kia power plant/powertrain, although friends have a small Kia sedan that is approaching 200k miles.
As far as reliability: I posed the question to a friend who owns an auto parts store. He said that he "sells the least repair parts, for Hondas and Toyotas."
So, Pilot and Highlander were the final choices, and I found a good deal on a Pilot.
It is a V6, with HP and torque almost identical to the Highlander. We have towed over the Cascades, Sierras, and Tehachapi Mts. (several mountain passes in the 5000 ft elev. range) with no problems.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Shopping
It sounds like the 2016 pilots have torque vectoring awd from the mdx, which is a plus in my book. Also going to add the touareg tdi to list, but it would need to be a good deal as I worry about their future with the vw scandal.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
I am not really interested in a fight over how to get a good deal on a car, I will do my research and negotiate. I expect the dealer will make some money, otherwise they won't sell it and I am ok with that.

I am interested in peoples towing experience with an escape 19 and a 2nd or 3rd gen highlander, 2016 Sorento, 2016 Pilot, 2014+ MDX or Mercedes ml350 diesel.
Hi there Sailor,
I have had a 19' since May and have put about 5000 km on it now. We tow it with a 2014 Highlander AWD and have had no troubles. One of the roads we use to get into the interior of the province is the Coquihalla Highway, featured on a TV program called Highway From Hell because of the steepness. The Highlander zips up there like stink. Hope this helps.

My Blog; http://lenanddiansadventures.blogspot.ca
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Wish vehicles used for towing had the option for oversized brakes other then just bigger engines.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19
I tow my 19 with a Honda Ridgeline, and it is my only vehicle. It tows the 19 with ease, I do have Anderson hitch, which I tighten just enough for anti-sway.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19'
We just finished an 8,500 mile trip to the east coast and back, towing our 2015 Escape 19 with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with a 270 hp V-6, and 9-speed transmission. We use the Andersen hitch, and have been very pleased with both the Jeep Cherokee and the Andersen (and of course the virtually flawless Escape trailer). The Cherokee has a 4,500 towing capability (with the tow package), and we have weighed our Escape loaded at about 3,500 pounds. The Jeep does well even up and down the mountains.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have a 19 and a Highlander, that we purchased new in 2011, and have towed the trailer with this vehicle since the trailer was new in 2013. We have 87,000 kms on the vehicle with about 16,000 kms towing. We have had no problems with the vehicle except for replacing an axle bearing. We change the transmission fluid earlier than required. Brake wear has been normal. We have the factory receiver hitch and heavy duty alternator and transmission cooler.

The vehicle is a very smooth ride, reliable and a comfortable daily driver, the best SUV we have owned for this purpose. It's a good tow vehicle, I would prefer more torque and firmer suspension for towing, but it offers a very good balance between a daily driver and a tow vehicle. We plan to tow with this vehicle for another 5 years.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - Delivery July 2017
I am contemplating the purchase of a Toyota 4Runner to tow my 19 ( to be delivered in July 2017). I am buying new so that there will be used vehicles for others to buy. Call it a public service!
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Wish vehicles used for towing had the option for oversized brakes other then just bigger engines.
I wouldn't worry about it. We use trailer brakes so that the tug doesn't do any more braking work that it would if fully loaded and not towing. Descending grades is a job for engine braking, not the brakes. In case of trailer brake failure, any modern braking system has the capacity to handle a single stop from highway speed without fade. It's tire traction, not the size of the brakes, which is the limitation to braking in street conditions (racing is different).

Some performance packages for some vehicles do offer larger brakes, but those are typically high-performance cars rather than SUVs, vans, and trucks. I suppose some of the high-priced German SUVs would offer both sufficient towing capacity and optional performance braking packages... although at huge expense.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote