Pull 5.0 TA with a 2005/06 Tundra? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (Aug. 2017)
Pull 5.0 TA with a 2005/06 Tundra?

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and need to see if any of you have towed a 5.0 with an "older" Tundra or have thoughts on how one would match up with a 5.0 TA (ordered recently).
I currently own a 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with tow package, but feel it would be very close to the payload limit pulling a 5.0. I definitely want to stick with Toyota and it looks like a 2005 or 2006 might "fit the bill". I don't care too much for the super large newer Tundra (bigger starting in 2007), and thought if I could find a low mileage, excellent condition 2005 or 2006 Tundra Limited 4x4 double cab, it could be a definite consideration.
The "older" Tundra has the advantage over the Tacoma in that it has a 6 foot 4 inch bed, V8 (for our Colorado mountains) and a higher payload (300-400 lbs.) more than the Tacoma.
I'm I on the right track if I'd like to stick with Toyota?

LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
I have a 2010 Ford 2WD which I bought and used in Dallas. I recently retired and moved back to my home in Colorado. I probably won't drive it much in snow and plan on putting a second 100K miles on it pulling a 5.0 TA. Seems like with the pin weight of the fifth wheel I don't really need the 4X4 option and I plan to take it to the mountains in winter. I will probably invest in 18 inch wheels with good winter tires though. (Mine came with 20 inch aluminum wheels)

In 2010 I tried to buy a Tundra but the dealers didn't seem interested in lowering the price much. Ford dealers were anxious to sell and their lots were full of trucks so I got a Lariat with the HD Tow package for $11,000 off the sticker price. Way less than any Tundra and better options. I have 105K miles on it and haven't needed to change the brake pads or do any major maintenance other than change the fluids.

moral: While looking for a good used Tundra don't overlook a newer and lower mileage F 150 if it is significantly cheaper. Both will easily tow a 5.0 TA.

I have a short bed SCREW Cab so I am planning to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch as it is a lot lighter weight. I'm hoping that by next year they will have an aluminum version but the steel is fine. I'll get my 5.0 TA in July/Aug. 2017.

SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Am I on the right track if I'd like to stick with Toyota?
I'd say no but I'm biased - a Ford guy.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
As SFDavis50 says don't overlook a later model Ford. Two years ago I bought a 2010 2wd F150 to tow our new to us 2007 5.0. We had pretty good luck with it but took advantage of good trade in value and great discount on a 2015 this past April to buy a new 4wd F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost.

BTW we did look seriously at buying a used fully loaded Ltd 2005 Tundra two years ago but the price for what we'd get (high mileage, one DVD screen kaput) we felt not worth it. Having had a Ranger back in '92, thought I'd try the F150 and so far glad we did.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
moral: While looking for a good used Tundra don't overlook a newer and lower mileage F 150 if it is significantly cheaper. Both will easily tow a 5.0 TA.

I have a short bed SCREW Cab so I am planning to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch as it is a lot lighter weight. I'm hoping that by next year they will have an aluminum version but the steel is fine. I'll get my 5.0 TA in July/Aug. 2017.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I might consider a Ford F150, but wish they came with a 6 foot plus bed in the crew cab version.
The good thing about an older Tundra is that it comes in a "double cab", has the 6 foot plus bed and still will fit in my garage.
Also, I'm just so used to not ever doing anything to my Tacoma except oil changes. Our family was always a Ford family, so I'm not closed to the idea, but Toyotas are just so trouble free that it would take a bit of convincing to go back to Ford.
Thanks again!
P.S. Our 5.0 TA will be ready August next year, so I guess I have time to get more input and do more research on trucks.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
As SFDavis50 says don't overlook a later model Ford. Two years ago I bought a 2010 2wd F150 to tow our new to us 2007 5.0. We had pretty good luck with it but took advantage of good trade in value and great discount on a 2015 this past April to buy a new 4wd F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost.

BTW we did look seriously at buying a used fully loaded Ltd 2005 Tundra two years ago but the price for what we'd get (high mileage, one DVD screen kaput) we felt not worth it. Having had a Ranger back in '92, thought I'd try the F150 and so far glad we did.

Adrian
Thanks, Adrian. I'll try to keep an open mind and check out the Ford 150 also.
Happy travels!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I'll stay out of the brand wars... after all, religious discussions are taboo in these forums.

Quote:
The "older" Tundra has the advantage over the Tacoma in that it has a 6 foot 4 inch bed, V8 (for our Colorado mountains) and a higher payload (300-400 lbs.) more than the Tacoma.
The Tundra does have capacity and capability advantages over a Tacoma, for this purpose; however, the box length is still an issue.

Quote:
The good thing about an older Tundra is that it comes in a "double cab", has the 6 foot plus bed...
Yes, the bed is a good length; however, an unusually high proportion of the length is behind the axle. For fifth-wheel towing the key is the distance from the back of the cab to where you can mount the hitch. With commercially available hitch mounting systems the pin ends up close to the rear axle, and that axle is further forward (less space to cab) than you would expect with a typical pickup truck with the same length of bed.

At least a couple of forum members are towing Escape fifth-wheels with the second-generation Tundra, but there are substantial differences to the first generation. For a relevant and recent discussion, see
First generation Tundra.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'll stay out of the brand wars... after all, religious discussions are taboo in these forums. .
Yes, but I have seen the light!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:

At least a couple of forum members are towing Escape fifth-wheels with the second-generation Tundra, but there are substantial differences to the first generation. For a relevant and recent discussion, see
First generation Tundra.
Thanks so much! This link to "First generation Tundra" is exactly the information I was hoping to find! It will help me make a more informed decision. Appreciate it!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

The Tundra does have capacity and capability advantages over a Tacoma, for this purpose; however, the box length is still an issue.

Yes, the bed is a good length; however, an unusually high proportion of the length is behind the axle. For fifth-wheel towing the key is the distance from the back of the cab to where you can mount the hitch. With commercially available hitch mounting systems the pin ends up close to the rear axle, and that axle is further forward (less space to cab) than you would expect with a typical pickup truck with the same length of bed.

First generation Tundra.
Hi Brian - OK, if I'm getting it from the thread, even though the first generation Tundra has the longer 6 foot plus bed, it really doesn't help in regard to the hitch position since the "extra length" is behind the axel. That would mean you'd pretty much have a hitch installation similar to that of a 5.5 foot bed.
That doesn't preclude the first generation Tundra from being used as a 5th wheel hauler, just that the longer bed is not really an advantage, correct?