Battery basic questions - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #51

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It can't be all that wild an idea, since there are switches made to allow this sort of thing:
BLUE SEA SYSTEMS 350A Compact Battery Switches | West Marine
Not a wild idea at all. On our boat (ancient history) we used a switch like that. Mainly for emergencies when a single battery wouldn't turn over the diesel engine in cold weather.

Since I'll be outfitting our Escape with 2 12v SLA batteries, one of those switches is on the "buy" list. (Along with a long list of pricy goodies that for reasons my wife doesn't totally understand, we must have. )

--
Alan

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
It can't be all that wild an idea, since there are switches made to allow this sort of thing:
BLUE SEA SYSTEMS 350A Compact Battery Switches | West Marine
Like this?

I've used my 1500 watt inverter with only one battery and it works fine for that kind of short term use. But, yes, it is a big draw and if it gets to setting off the alarm then I'd switch to "both" for sure.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03-08-2014 4-18-55 PM1_resize.jpg (174.6 KB, 8 views)

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Yep. Not having A/C in Florida for a certain portion of the year would be like not having a furnace in the Yukon in February. And I have camped without A/C in the summer and it's not my idea of fun. That's why I would rather have my Honda 2000 instead of solar. But when temperatures are appropriate, I would rather run a roof vent and open windows. I rarely boondock, so I do not have a problem with keeping the battery charged. For us, the trailer is a rolling bedroom. We go somewhere, set up, then take off and see the local sights. About the only time I really go "camping" and spend a lot of time hanging around the campsite is when we attend a rally such as Scamp Camp, etc. While we do have open spaces in the east, it is far different from the vast open spaces found in the western parts of North America. That, to a degree, determines camping style and equipment needs. I believe if I lived in Montana or BC, I would be more likely to jump on the solar bandwagon.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Here's something to think about: before RVs had air conditioning, is it true that no one used an RV (travel trailer or otherwise) in Florida? Now that there is A/C, is every RV in use in Florida plugged in at a serviced site or running a generator
Easy to address that one Brian, by answering a question with another question:
When it is minus 40 in Alberta and the wind is blowing, where are most of the campers set up? Try to imagine temperatures AND humidity in the 90s. Perhaps the temperature drops to the mid 80s by midnight or 1 am. There are two types of campers in Florida in the summer, those plugged in at a serviced site or running a generator, and those that wished they had A/C and were plugged in at a serviced site, or that they could afford a generator. Come to Florida in the winter and you have to be lucky to find a campsite on a moments notice, come in the summer and the campgrounds have plenty of vacant sites.

Oh, the answer to the question is that the campers are probably in storage because most people in their right mind do not find camping pleasant when they are either freezing their butts off or sweating them off. In Alberta you winterize your camper unless you are a snow bird and head to a warmer climate, in the south we summarize (park and store) our campers unless we have A/C or we are heading north in search of cooler temperatures.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Great examples of camping options, Carl.

In FiberglassRV, I've noticed a few owners from hot areas describing their camping season as being everything except the hottest months, just as most around here don't have trailers suited to winter (which is more of a matter of insulation and plumbing features than a furnace) and may camp in all but the coldest months.

Lots of options for camping style, just as there are lots of options for Escape equipment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Alan I use the rapid cure version which is good to travel in about 24 hours.
I got curious about this stuff, and what options there are in the product line. Looks like a variety of choices. See this 3M pdf:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/3...400-5507-1.pdf
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
in the south we summarize (park and store) our campers unless we have A/C or we are heading north in search of cooler temperatures.
Or, as a person in Louisiana once said to me to explain the heat and humidity situation, "Where you live it rains outdoors......"

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote