LT trailer tires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
LT trailer tires

I have been looking for a good LT tire to replace the Carlisles on my trailer. Yes, yes, I know ST tires are what it came with and I haven't had any problems with the Carlisles but I have used LT tires before on my Casita and like the enhanced reliability and higher speed rating the LT tires give.

The problem is that not many 15" LT tires are available. P rated are a dime a dozen but LT rated are rare. Going to 16" tires increases the selection but requires changing the brake drums and rims - just not ready for that at this time.

Searching the web, I found the Michelin LTX tires are used a lot on Airstreams but the size that would fit my trailer are actually P rated so doesn't fit my criteria. Michelin does make an E rated LT tire but only in the 17" and up sizes.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S Highway Tire 215/75R15 100T

I did find these that look to be a contender but would ask the forum if they know of a better choice. These are D rated LT tires, 215 width, and 65 lb max air pressure so they should fit my rims.

GOODYEAR WRANGLER HT LT215 /75 R15 106Q D1 BSW
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ler-ht/p/31657
Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
My original tires are 5 years old and have quite a few miles on them. I've also been considering the LTX's. I'll be following this thread with interest.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
tires

I thought I would replace the tires on my 17 when I picked it up. When I had the Casita I gave up and went to Lt tires and then I was happy. The current tires Escape uses are Ranier, rated like Lt tires. I have given them a good workout and I am happy with them.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
The current tires Escape uses are Ranier, rated like Lt tires.
Jack

What does rated like LT tires mean?
Aren't all tires rated?
Below is Carlisle Radial Trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 9.40.45 AM.png  
Old 04-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
LT trailer tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What does rated like LT tires mean?
Aren't all tires rated?
Below is Carlisle Radial Trail.

LT means they are designed for, and intended to be used on, Light Trucks, as opposed to ST tires which are designed for, and intended to be used on, trailers (Special Trailer).

Truck and trailer tires are designed differently as they have different requirements to perform correctly and are subjected to different dynamic forces.

In my personal opinion, putting LT tires on an ST vehicle is a lot like putting P rated (passenger vehicle - car) tires on a truck. You can do it. But is it really the best choice? YMMV.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #6

I agree. Seems a lot of effort on these forums goes into using something that was not designed for the application instead of a product that specifically designed for the application.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Did all the excitement of the Goodyear Endurance ST tires die down... or out?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can't say I get much excitement out of tires, but the Endurance's are fine for the 1st 10k, ask again in 30k miles or so.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I agree. Seems a lot of effort on these forums goes into using something that was not designed for the application instead of a product that specifically designed for the application.
It's a bit amusing to me because, back in the day when I was still a teenager, I'd make a trailer axle by going to the auto wrecker, buy front spindles, hacksaw them apart, make a drop axle and throw on a set of passenger car tires. In the following years I'd do the same for boat and motorcycle trailers etc.

To me it's only in relative recent years that the concept of ST tires has come into play. I'm not concerned that the difference between ST and LT precludes using the LT's on an Escape.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I installed Endurance tires on my E21 last week. The installer inflated them to 65 psi (the max) and the ride home was harsh. Have now deflated them down to the recommended (by Escape) 50 psi. According to the Goodyear inflation schedule, they will be well over the load capacity for my trailer at 50 and could go considerably lower - if I felt so inclined.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I installed Endurance tires on my E21 last week. The installer inflated them to 65 psi (the max) and the ride home was harsh. Have now deflated them down to the recommended (by Escape) 50 psi. According to the Goodyear inflation schedule, they will be well over the load capacity for my trailer at 50 and could go considerably lower - if I felt so inclined.

--
Alan
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that you are not supposed to ride in a trailer while it is moving ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that you are not supposed to ride in a trailer while it is moving
Steve, your suppose to use an emoji to let others know you're making a joke.

emoli corrected:
Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #13

Spell check.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
There has been a debate raging for years on another RV forum on trailer tires vs Light Truck tires. This from The Tire Rack "Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer." The Goodyear LT215-75-15 load range D specs are as follows: Max load 2096 pounds per tire, max inflation 65psi, tire weight 32 pounds, 27.7 inch diameter, a 99mph rating and made in US for about $155 per tire. The Goodyear Endurance ST205-75-15 load range D specs are: max load per 2160 lbs per tire, max inflation 65 psi, weight is 29 pounds, 27.1 inch diameter and made in the US for about $119 per tire. I have no opinion to give on this, but I can see benefits with either tire.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
In my personal opinion, putting LT tires on an ST vehicle is a lot like putting P rated (passenger vehicle - car) tires on a truck. You can do it. But is it really the best choice? YMMV.
A P-type tire may not have the load capacity required for a truck (depending on the size), so it is not like using an LT tire on a trailer... but in fact, many pickup trucks come from the factory with P-metric and Euro-metric tires, where the tire size, load capacity, and vehicle application are compatible. Are the pickup truck manufacturers wrong?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I thought I would replace the tires on my 17 when I picked it up. When I had the Casita I gave up and went to Lt tires and then I was happy. The current tires Escape uses are Ranier, rated like Lt tires. I have given them a good workout and I am happy with them.
Jack
I have the same question as baglo... what does "rated like LT tires" mean? They may have a load and speed index, as all modern tires should; ST tires often omit these values, since they have only the default speed rating (65 mph) and the old-fashioned Load Range or antique "ply rating", but now that some have a higher speed rating they're showing the load and speed index.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A P-type tire may not have the load capacity required for a truck (depending on the size), so it is not like using an LT tire on a trailer... but in fact, many pickup trucks come from the factory with P-metric and Euro-metric tires, where the tire size, load capacity, and vehicle application are compatible. Are the pickup truck manufacturers wrong?

A friend of mine owns a GMC Acadia. It is two wheel drive only, but is sold as an “SUV”. Is GM wrong? I think so. I think the Acadia is actually a mini van with an identity crisis.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
To me it's only in relative recent years that the concept of ST tires has come into play. I'm not concerned that the difference between ST and LT precludes using the LT's on an Escape.
Right - the Tire and Rim Association (TRA) added the P, ST, and LT categories in something like the late 1970's or later. The corresponding standards organization in Europe (ETRTO) doesn't have these categories. Also, both LT and commercial tires are perfectly suitable for trailer use (by design), and there are even some tires sold specifically for trailer use (such as the Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST) which are rated and specified by the manufacturer using these standards rather than ST.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I did find these that look to be a contender but would ask the forum if they know of a better choice. These are D rated LT tires, 215 width, and 65 lb max air pressure so they should fit my rims.

GOODYEAR WRANGLER HT LT215 /75 R15 106Q D1 BSW
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ler-ht/p/31657
It's amazing how fast this thread skewed off the original question.

For those that have considered LT tires for your trailer, is there a better choice than the Goodyear Wrangler HT or should I go with it?

ps. the Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST looks like a great tire but over $250 ea, 110 psi, and 31" diameter.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
A friend of mine owns a GMC Acadia. It is two wheel drive only, but is sold as an “SUV”. Is GM wrong? I think so. I think the Acadia is actually a mini van with an identity crisis.

"Station wagon", "crossover", and "SUV" are all marketing labels which really mean nothing; in Europe they used to call these (and minivans) "multipurpose vehicles". Many vans and SUVs could reasonably be considered in the "truck and van" category of commercial vehicles, or light trucks; this is determined by how they are used, and if the vehicle is very tall (which causes high load transfer in turns). The way the Acadia - or my Toyota van - is used is compatible with P-type tires as long as they are a suitable size; in the stock size, an LT tire would probably be unnecessarily harsh, but would work.