sanitizing tank and lines - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have a 19 Escape and not sure if the tank is 20 Imperial or US gallons. According to my math 20 Imperial gallons is more volume at 91 litres versus 76 litres for 20 US gallons. I error on side of caution so I add 455 mLs of bleach (2 cups) (5 mLs/L x 91 L = 455 mLs) to a container of water and pour into the water tank.

I fill the water tank full, let it slosh around a bit but moving around in the trailer for 10 minutes or so, then run it through all the water lines with the water pump on (sink, bathroom sink and shower, and outside shower. Let it sit in the water lines for a few minutes, drain the water tank, fill tank with fresh water, run through the water lines again, then repeat one more time.

It takes a bit of time but I like knowing the system is clean. We use the water tank to cook and drink from.

gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, you have to keep your p traps lubricated or switch to the Hepvo valve.
Jim I have heard the name Hepvo valve but how does that work ? Can I install one at my kitchen sink ?Would it be a good change to do ? The sink in bath is used more so I am not worried about that one . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Very easy install, I put one in my EggCamper sink.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #54

Quote:
Very easy install, I put one in my EggCamper sink.
Jim how does it work compared to p trap which I guess always has water in it , hence smell if not flushed enough . Pat
Old 02-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
It mounts horizontally or vertically, has 2 plastic lips that seal the odors. see here Hepvo Waterless Valve
Old 02-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #56

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
I have a 19 Escape and not sure if the tank is 20 Imperial or US gallons. According to my math 20 Imperial gallons is more volume at 91 litres versus 76 litres for 20 US gallons. I error on side of caution so I add 455 mLs of bleach (2 cups) (5 mLs/L x 91 L = 455 mLs) to a container of water and pour into the water tank.

I fill the water tank full, let it slosh around a bit but moving around in the trailer for 10 minutes or so, then run it through all the water lines with the water pump on (sink, bathroom sink and shower, and outside shower. Let it sit in the water lines for a few minutes, drain the water tank, fill tank with fresh water, run through the water lines again, then repeat one more time.

It takes a bit of time but I like knowing the system is clean. We use the water tank to cook and drink from.
I basically did the same procedure for a 30 gal. Airstream I had for 10 years and never had a problem. The differences I did was put 1/2 cup bleach (approximately) in the filler hose to disinfect that. Then hook up the hose to the water faucet and inject the bleach into the trailer that way. I let it sit over night. I also flushed twice.

My Blog; https://lenanddiansadventures.blogspot.ca
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
I basically did the same procedure for a 30 gal. Airstream I had for 10 years and never had a problem. The differences I did was put 1/2 cup bleach (approximately) in the filler hose to disinfect that. Then hook up the hose to the water faucet and inject the bleach into the trailer that way. I let it sit over night. I also flushed twice.
Not sure here where the business end of the house went, but if you connected to the city water inlet you would not sanitize the tank.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #58

Quote:
It mounts horizontally or vertically, has 2 plastic lips that seal the odors. see here Hepvo Waterless Valve
Thanks Jim I am going to check this out . Pat
Old 02-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #59

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not sure here where the business end of three house went, but if you connected to the city water inlet you would not sanitize the tank.
Put bleach in hose while the hose outlet is stuck in the trailer inlet. Hook up hose to city water. The bleach goes through the hose into the holding tank rather than putting bleach directly into holding tank. It is amazing how much gunk can grow in the hose if left on the ground while hooked up directly to city water in hot weather.

My Blog; https://lenanddiansadventures.blogspot.ca
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
Put bleach in hose while the hose outlet is stuck in the trailer inlet. Hook up hose to city water. The bleach goes through the hose into the holding tank rather than putting bleach directly into holding tank. It is amazing how much gunk can grow in the hose if left on the ground while hooked up directly to city water in hot weather.
I can believe it. I am assuming that you put bleach into the hose and ran lots of water through it before putting into trailer inlet. Excellent idea to do the hose and we will make sure we do that.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote