Waxed my New 5.0 TA - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Another vote for the Starbrite. Works well and easy to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I used the Starbrite for the 1st two years on the 19. Just replaced it with Meguiers after running out, as I've always been a fan, but........... I think I'll be going back to the Starbrite! (Might just be that the roof has more UV damage than the sides as I've been able to keep more coats of wax on it). Will have to consider whether to go back or not!

Old 04-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #73
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Does it make a difference if one uses a cream wax vs. a paste wax? Are spray wax's effective? What have others done to protect the rubber around the windows?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #74

Trailer: 2016 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Waxed my new 5.0 TA

Bought a Makita 7" power buffer, and a 3M blue applicator head, and 3M buffer bonnet.

Used 3M Marine liquid polish. Bottle size is 500 ml, and I used slightly more than one bottle for the whole trailer.

Each side took slightly less then 2 hours- applying the polish, letting it dry and buffing it off. This includes the roof- which I stood on a ladder to access. I did not lean the ladder on the roof, nor stand on the roof.

I used small sponges to apply wax around the various fittings, and soft polyester/cotton clothes to buff the wax off.

There is a lot of ladder time. I reduced this a wee-bit by lowering the front of the fifth wheel using the twin power jacks- made the trailer kneel down, so to speak.

Waxing is still a job I'd rather skip but the combination of tools and wax, made it seem manageable.

--------------------
We've owned the trailer since June 27th, and gone on 5 trips, spending 23 nights in the unit. It has performed well.
My suspicion is that a 3M product is probably of better quality than other waxes and polishes sold by and at RV outlets. Short of a controlled study which evaluates polishes and waxes, 3M products would be my default choice. I might come to another conclusion as I proceed through this thread. (I picked up my new 17B six weeks ago).
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
My suspicion is that a 3M product is probably of better quality than other waxes and polishes sold by and at RV outlets. Short of a controlled study which evaluates polishes and waxes, 3M products would be my default choice. I might come to another conclusion as I proceed through this thread. (I picked up my new 17B six weeks ago).
Now having read through all the posts on this thread, I ask myself why I was compelled -- and I'm new to the RV world -- why I had to give my opinion after reading just the first post! At any rate, lots of good info on this thread including answers to questions I had not even thought of -- like when do you first polish or wax your new Escape!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #76
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I am reading this thread with great interest and have visited manufacturer's websites to look at the products and understand what is needed when. I searched and located an article from Trailer Life that discusses this topic. I will take that, and suggestions from others on keeping our trailer like-new for years to come.

RV Products for a Clean Start
Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
I am reading this thread with great interest and have visited manufacturer's websites to look at the products and understand what is needed when. I searched and located an article from Trailer Life that discusses this topic. I will take that, and suggestions from others on keeping our trailer like-new for years to come.

RV Products for a Clean Start
P&L, good article, thanks for posting!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Lots of folks here love NU FINISH

what is best - liquid NU FINISH or paste NU FINISH ?

thx.
Consumer Reports in their November 2011 edition rates car waxes. Both the Nu Finish liquid and paste are highly rated (for cars) and are "best buys." The Nu Finish paste is rated higher for "durability" than the Nu Finish liquid.