How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #71

Re: How To Winterize a Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Look dead center at the bottom of the pic.

baglo

Thank You so much Bagio, I didn't realize that the anode socket is also the drain plug for the water heater.

Gerardo.

gclatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #72

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

Make sure you use Teflon tape on the threads before you re-install it. Wind it counter-clockwise onto the threads so it stays put when you screw the anode in.

And, you can find pix on Google if you look up 'when to replace your anode'. Shows what a corroded anode looks like.

Mine still doesn't need replacement after three years.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #73

As the anode sacrifices itself, a wonderful mass of sludge accumulates in the bottom of the tank. It was so wonderful on our old Casita I ended up jury-rigging a piece of garden hose to my shop vac hose to suck up the gook.

However, there's no telling how many anodes gave their lives in the Casita before I cleaned the tank, as we weren't the original owners.

Dave
Old 11-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #74

There's an anode in your water heater at home too. It too should be replaced from time to time, so you don't have to buy a new water heater.
Personally, I've never done it. Don't know how. I should probably learn, or at least pay somebody to do it.

baglo

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

As Dave says, there was a lot of whitish sludge in the bottom of mine this year when I drained it. I put the end of the hose against the drain opening and flushed it out with water until the sludge stopped coming out. My anode was eaten only on the end closest to the drain, but quite deeply there. The rest of it was untouched. I was glad that the anode has that plastic rod in the center to keep it from breaking off.

Here is some interesting info on anode rods: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...er-anodes.html
I found the answer here to why our water smelled nasty at home after our last trip in Blue.

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #76

I use method 2 on my 2006 17b, but on my trailer there are low point drains for the cold and hot water lines near the front mounted exterior shower.

Even though I raise the shower hose to drain the exterior shower hose and handle, last year the exterior shower nozzle cracked so this year I am going to remove the shower nozzle and store it inside the trailer.

I turn off the propane to make double sure no one turns on the water heater when it is empty.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #77

Not the trailer, but, I just removed the Y valves on the outside taps. One year, I stored them outside and they cracked. I was told that the steel ball bearing in the valve expands and contracts a different amount that the brass and that that caused the problem. So, I now store them inside.

The exterior shower head on the trailer, however, stays where it is. I just make sure that it is open. I think it is all plastic. No problem in three years.

baglo

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #78

Ok, I got My 1-1/16" socket and a good wrench to have leverage, But I can't remove the anode element to drain My water heater, the drain plug seems to be extremely tight and I am afraid to brake the adjacent parts, I had put some effort to the point that I am shaking My trailer big time, Any one have a suggestion besides elbow grease?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #79

Depending upon the proximity of other stuff, you might try a little heat on the surrounding tank. I'm not at home to peek at the water heater, but heat helps. Another option might be to fill the tank with water and heat the water. That may loosen the death-grip. BE CAREFUL if it does come loose as the water will be scalding!!.

I'd avoid using penetrating oil as it could easily contaminate your water supply.

Another tried-and-true method is to whack the plug a few times. I'd use a thick (wide) pin punch or a screwdriver and bang at the fitting all around its edges.

I had the same problem with my old Casita and finally got it loose with an extension on the socket wrench. A thorough wrap of Teflon plumber's tape will prevent the problem from occuring again.

Dave
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Depending upon the proximity of other stuff, you might try a little heat on the surrounding tank. I'm not at home to peek at the water heater, but heat helps. Another option might be to fill the tank with water and heat the water. That may loosen the death-grip. BE CAREFUL if it does come loose as the water will be scalding!!.

I'd avoid using penetrating oil as it could easily contaminate your water supply.

Another tried-and-true method is to whack the plug a few times. I'd use a thick (wide) pin punch or a screwdriver and bang at the fitting all around its edges.

I had the same problem with my old Casita and finally got it loose with an extension on the socket wrench. A thorough wrap of Teflon plumber's tape will prevent the problem from occuring again.

Dave
Thank You very Much Dave, I will try Your method, ¿Should I leave the teflon tape even after winter?