Will there be tech sessions at the 2019 appreciation ralley? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, 1980 Tayana Vancouver 42, sold Jan 2019
Send a message via Skype™ to Upfisk
Will there be tech sessions at the 2019 appreciation ralley?

We recently read on a travel blog that the propane burner on the fridge needs at least an annual cleaning, more if the trailer is used primarily for boondocking.

We do know where the burner is located. We don't know if it is accessible, and we have no knowledge of how to clean it. Any seminars on care and feeding of our Escape appliances? Any gurus with knowledge that would like to show us the ropes on burner cleaning?

We have been through about 6 20# propane tanks since picking up the trailer, so Jim cannot answer this question.

Thanks in advance

Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe cleaning the burner is an annual owner maintenance item which other owners have done themselves, but doubtful ETI can provide any assistance with issues other than warranty at the rally. A local rv repair shop should be helpful at least now, during the off season.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Cleaning propane fridge burner

There is not much of an off season in AZ. We are currently in the middle of snowbird season. In spring starts the AZ camping season where we all head to 7000 ft elevation to avoid the heat. We contacted an RV repair shop about replacing an awning part, it will be at least a month before they can get to us.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
When we were selling our 19', the refrigerator wouldn't turn from electric to gas (naturally). The new owner (who had rebuilt a refrigerator on his old trailer), found that the burner tube was clogged and suggested we clean out our next refrigerator's tube yearly with a can of compressed air (the type you use for computers). There are a number of YouTube videos on how to maintain that darn burner tube. Type in: "cleaning burner tube dometic RV refrigerator".

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I think this would be a great feature of the appreciation rally, or any rally really. It could help get more owners doing some of their own maintenance or just getting more familiar with the trailer inner workings.
MikeS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Two things
I have attended educational sessions at rallies where wrong information was presented.
I have seen argumentative individuals question information even when it was correct. This is generally upsetting to the presenter. I’ve thanked people for their presentation and been told never again because of auduemces being rude. Especially talking during the presentation. If you need specific information or technique training it would be my suggestion to make that known before a rally. Most folks would link up with you and give you one on one information on site. I know when I mentioned last summer that I had a manometer several folks availed themselves to my offer of loaning it to them and walking them through the procedure of checking their regulator pressure setting.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
I've done workshops at rallies over the last couple of years covering inverters, solar, 12V systems, and, most recently, photography, and it seems there are two major groups that attend - those that are really interested and want to learn, and those that are there to prove they know more than the individual offering the workshop (during my 32 years teaching very specific, advanced technical theatre courses, I never ran into the latter, and it was a surprise to me).

In any case, I always did my best to work with those interested in the content, and my best to ignore the others. For those that made a career of teaching, sharing knowledge is one of the more important things in life!
Old 12-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #8

We come from a touring motorcycle background. The BMW sport touring group has "unralleys" where the manufacturer and suppliers of parts are NOT invited. Then we just ride nearby interesting roads, there will be informal tech sessions ie changing the rear drive fluid with the pivoting rear end that does not have a drain plug. We have not experienced the know it all's, but perhaps they are in the "barley session" at the bar.

The more formal BMW ralleys feature tech courses exclusively on riding, the manufacturer has tractor trailers full of new model bikes to ride, the after market venders have booths selling stuff you really need. While we have attended both ralleys we prefer the unralley setup.

We were assuming the Escape Trailer appreciation ralley would be more home grown unralley type in operation. Just a group of owners coming together and discussing all things Escape, including tech hints. If anyone wants to show us fridge burner cleaning tips we'd appreciate it. We have new knowledge of swarming FL ant removal tips we just learned from our 5 weeks there. We'd love to pass that one on.

We'll be in the 19 with aquamarine trim being towed by a Jeep grand Cherokee, AZ tags.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Mostly people just walk around the campsite, with a beer in hand.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The Motto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mostly people just walk around the campsite, with a beer in hand.
And if you really want to be prepared, a shot glass in your pocket.
Iowa Dwve