2017 19' Exterior Photos - Page 20 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #381

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is a possibility that Escape will not delete the standard automatic awning or they may delete but not credit anything. It is their perogative....

Jim I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #382

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I do like the willingness of Escape Trailer Industries to accommodate individual preferences. On the other hand, there are limits. Modern cars and light trucks are full of features which I don't want because they add complexity and associated cost, weight, and failures... but just try to factory-order one without them. Live up here and don't need air conditioning? Too bad, just pay for it and don't turn it on. Can wind your own windows? Too bad, the doors are going to be full of wiring and motors. Don't think you need two dozen airbags? You're paying for them and getting them anyway (and don't try to work on the interior trim ).

In this case, a manual awning might be a reasonable thing to ask about, because it would mean just omitting stuff without a requirement to re-design anything or to do custom construction. Leaving off the the awning entirely might be possible, too, but for the buyer installing an alternative awning with the interior already complete would be a pain. Having Escape install a different awning sounds to me like something that would not fit in the flow of production, but only Escape can say.

Maybe it's time to ask?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #383

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is a possibility that Escape will not delete the standard automatic awning or they may delete but not credit anything. It is their perogative....
Without an awning, you would be left with the recessed area designed for the awning looking a little odd. That is the way it was when I visited Escape Feb 29. It looked a little weird, but does look so nice with the awning in place. At that time Reace was still evaluating which awning to use. Given this recessed area that is now in the shell, I too have to wonder whether they would want to sell a trailer without an awning. I would be willing to give odds that they would not entertain using a different awning either, as they have to draw the line somewhere with custom mods.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #384

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, then there is the issue of buying in bulk.
They get the price they get by agreeing to buy a certain number of a particular product. What are they supposed to do with the extra awnings if people opt out? Would raise the price for everybody.
I expect for my next trailer that I'll opt out of wheels. They cause nothing but problems. Flat tires, potential for traffic accidents, need to buy chocks, have to replace tires as they age.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
But cmon, Jim. You have enough field camping experience to know that an awning that can only be deployed in a straight out/straight in with no ability to change slope or tilt in the field will not have a high level of practicality. Once one has years of experience camping and trailering, we can look at new products and determine potential shortfalls very easily without having to try one first. We all do it on this forum all the time on all kinds of products that we haven't purchased or tried yet. So far I've not seen any evidence to the contrary that this isn't exactly the case on this relatively new awning. I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer a Fiamma option (still a case awning retaining the clean lines) if it doesn't present any serious issues with assembly or reworking the existing molds, etc.
Not only have I had a trailer for 25 years now (except the last few months), when camping deployment of the awning is almost always done, either for shade, or rain. While I have admitted that I am a wee bit skeptical (I am a complete skeptic by nature, there are no ghosts, ufo's or bigfoot ), I fully trust that this awning will work great. I definitely am not going to start looking at an alternative until this one gets a good trial. I personally think it would be unfeasible for Escape to offer an option at this time.

I am not following wanting more than 15 degrees (assuming of course they can achieve this with the distance from the door). I keep it up and out of the way as much as possible. The old type with arms did need a good slop to shed water effectively, but this new one that automatically dips to dump water off takes care of that nicely.

If it is deemed to be necessary, I would be willing to pick up the tie-outs, and/or poles. A buddy with this type awning(not sure the make) uses straps tied down to those spiral tie-out stakes whenever the wind picks up.

Just as doubters may doubt, I have every right to look for the positives in this, and I am getting quite keen on giving this awning a go.

If I end up being wrong, no worries, I am certain something can easily be done to correct it, just as it works out for all those others things in life that don't work our right the first time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
i expect for my next trailer that i'll opt out of wheels. They cause nothing but problems. Flat tires, potential for traffic accidents, need to buy chocks, have to replace tires as they age.
roflmao...
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #387

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
They get the price they get by agreeing to buy a certain number of a particular product. What are they supposed to do with the extra awnings if people opt out? Would raise the price for everybody.
I expect for my next trailer that I'll opt out of wheels. They cause nothing but problems. Flat tires, potential for traffic accidents, need to buy chocks, have to replace tires as they age.
Quack.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #388

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
why didn't I think of that before that blowout on the busy highway?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #389

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19' - 2013 Chevy Silverado
Glen.......
That is what I love about your ideas......they make life so much easier!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #390

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
See post #26 on this FGRV thread:

Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Old 04-14-2016, 12:38 AM   #391

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: gbaglo... Next thing we know you'll be bragging about taking your Escape out for a "Drag"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #392

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
One thing I appreciate about this forum....it's a great place for ideas so I am grateful to the forum group for everyone's input. As for the new awning, I'd much prefer a manual awning and if possible one that has struts like the 2016 and earlier Escapes had. Right or wrong it just seems there will be fewer problems given some of the reviews of the new awning. I'd like something along the lines of the Fiamma F45. I've asked Escape if a manual awing version is available. They are looking into it. That's all I ask. And it might come to be that the new awning is part of the trailer price and I have to buy my own substitute. And that's very understandable. If it isn't possible to substitute a manual awning then I have three options...take the new awning and deal with it, leave it off or do something on my own. I've got lots of time. My trailer isn't due to be delivered until March of 2017. And I'm sure I'll know one way or another by then.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #393

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I put a Fiamma F65 on the Scamp 16 we had before we bought our first Escape.
It looked cool folded, but wasn't nearly as strong or adjustable as the Carefree Escape used to install.
I'm interested to see the new awning at the rally next month.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #394
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Lots of comments both good and bad here, but in my opinion the one comment that makes the most sense is to wait and see if the new awning poses a problem or not. Truth is we won't know until it's been in use for awhile. It could be the neatest thing since sliced bread, and all the speculation will have been much ado about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #395

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I put a Fiamma F65 on the Scamp 16 we had before we bought our first Escape.
It looked cool folded, but wasn't nearly as strong or adjustable as the Carefree Escape used to install.
I'm interested to see the new awning at the rally next month.
The Carefree on our 21' seems a lot sturdier then the Fiamma we had on the Casita.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #396

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Lots of comments both good and bad here, but in my opinion the one comment that makes the most sense is to wait and see if the new awning poses a problem or not. Truth is we won't know until it's been in use for awhile. It could be the neatest thing since sliced bread, and all the speculation will have been much ado about nothing.

Robert that is easy to say when it isn't our money or problem . I certainly don't want to be the Guinea pig . For us the awning ,is one of the most important components of our trailer . In 30 + years the Carefree is the 3rd awning we have owned, just the way it is , and we are glad we aren't faced with this decision . Truth be told as been said ,we would be looking elsewhere , really not crazy with the changes ,some that first got us interested in the first place . Our right to our opinion . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #397

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

I have to agree up to a point. I believe the new awnings are on the 2017 trailers. So it won't be until sometime in 2017 that we'd see problems..if there are any. I'm taking delivery of my trailer in March of 2017. I'd rather not risk problems and return trips to Canada for repairs. My preference would be to have a manual awning option and leave it at that.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #398

Trailer: 17
"return trips to Canada for repairs."
The appliances have their own Manuf. warranty so you go to your nearest service center. No need to drive to Canada. Love your little graphic at the bottom
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #399

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I always wanted a manual awning like our 2016 Escape will be built with, but that being said, I see definite advantages to an electric awning. We have been in campgrounds (especially remember a time in Missoulla, Montana KOA) and gone to the store only to return to tree branches flying thru the air. I see an electric awning as easy to put up and take down, even when you are only leaving for an hour or so. The auto retract feature would be nice too. I have looked at Lance trailers for the past few years and I see they have gone to an awning just like the one Escape is using. I think ETI did their homework and is just trying to make their trailers better in a competitive market.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #400

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In addition the newer style awning will have less chance of unfurling while under tow, something the stock awning did on BlackJack, ironically in Missoula KOA where it was discovered. I also had 2 Lance Trailers (1880 and 1575) with the automatic awning, very nice.