Leveling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Leveling

Do you like the Anderson levelers ? I just use the little plastic blocks that came with my trailer but with the new trailer double axel I thought about buying them and leaving my blocks with my 17. Also do I need to buy those metal ex things that go between the tires? Anything else I need to park a 5.0?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
My plan is to buy the Anderson levelers, jack and pads as well as getting two of the big round Trailer Jack Blocks to put under the front jacks. I'm hoping that will make it stable enough to avoid having to buy X chocks. My build list is signed but I am still several months away from delivery. I'll report on how the stuff works.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Do you like the Anderson levelers ? I just use the little plastic blocks that came with my trailer but with the new trailer double axel I thought about buying them and leaving my blocks with my 17. Also do I need to buy those metal ex things that go between the tires? Anything else I need to park a 5.0?

Many happy owners of the Anderson levelers. Jon V has that great LED level indicator that helps with them.

Personally I use the legos or the BAL levelers but have been lazy and not going for perfect level on most sites this past season.

I use the plastic X chocks and it seems to reduce sway some.

I do recommend some chocking of the wheels, especially for the TT's, as the hitch decoupling can let the trailer free wheel momentarily. Maybe not so much on the 5th.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
There are lots of different types for both the levelers and the chocks, but we are quite happy with the Andersen levelers and the x-chocks too. I've nothing to compare them to since I've used them from day one. The only thing that is sometimes a pain is getting in and out of the truck and inching it forward until it's perfectly level side to side. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though, so I'm probably making it harder than it is.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yes I wondered about that it looks pretty easy with someone helping but hard to get out and check and adjust but I guess I did that with my blocks too.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those going from single to dual axles must realize it is an entirely new type of towing and set up. Whereas the single axle pivots on the single wheel with the dual axle sometimes the rear wheels will scrape sideways or be up in the air while maneuvering. With a single axle you had 4 chocks, you still need 4 chocks plus the "X" chocks between the axles to prevent movement. The B@L leveler worked well with the single axle, now you need plastic or wood blocks to raise one side in leveling.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
For checking side to side level I use a Level Master by Wheelmaster, can see it well in the rear view mirror. Keep in mind I have a 5.0TA.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I personally love the Andersen levelers. They allow precise leveling from side to side (I, like Robert, am somewhat of a perfectionist), as well as serving as chocks for that side of the trailer. I would still recommend using chocks on the other side. While I have the "Lego" blocks, spacing between the 5.0TAs wheels make it difficult to configure them for more than a "2-block" height. Getting a perfect side to side level is, as you say, difficult without an assistant due to all of the in and out of the truck. I, too, like Bob (Pailin) have affixed a level which is visible from the driver's seat to the frame supporting the loft.
As far as the X-chocks between the wheels are concerned, I find the support provided by the two landing gear legs stabilizes the 5.0TA better than dual axle bumper pull trailers (single point in the front touching the ground) I have been in, and the "cradle" effect of the Andersen levelers contributes to the stability. Actually, the biggest cause of shaking is when other occupant(s) walk around or roll over in bed, so if camping alone, they are not necessary at all. If you yourself are in motion, you won't feel the trailer's motion. And as a final thought, I have a set of RotoChoks for between the wheels. They cost me $100, slightly used ($300+ when new), but they are no longer made. They do not work any better than the yellow plastic ones (Camco, I believe) that cost around $40 and eliminated any and all shaking. They come in two sizes, large (most common) and small. You would want the small. They are both lighter and less expensive at half the cost of the X-chicks. I don't believe you will need them, however, if you use Andersens on one side and the inexpensive yellow wheel chicks you can find in the RV section at Walmart (AKA, Chinamart). Keep in mind you will probably want to trim a bit off each of the Andersen levelers, due to the short distance between the tires. Other threads have discussed this issue. I trimmed mine using a chop saw, but it could be done with a table saw or a hand saw, if you can follow a straight line.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
The Andersen is the only leveler that we have used and love it. We did end up trimming the second one to fit between the wheels. And since we did have some movement in the trailer last year when my wife would be up moving around after I went to bed, we bought a set of X-chocks over the winter hoping that they will make a difference, but we won't know for sure until our first trip in April.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
level wood

We have the 21 and we use the lego style blocks and also have 4 pieces of 2/6 with edges cut at 45 degrees makes it easier to drive up on One piece is labeled "1" the other "2" so you can drive up on these 2 pieces and get 3 1/4 in higher. Number "1" is 2 foot long the number "2" is 18inches long .This is also good if one gets a flat tire much easier to change a tire on a tandem axle trailer .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I am also a perfectionist. I have a handful of pressure treated 6" x 3/4" fence boards that I cut just long enough to fit under a pair of tandem trailer wheels. I back in onto bare ground, take one look at the bubble on the level and decide how many boards to use, pull ahead, place the boards, and backup onto the boards. Nine times out of ten the trailer is perfectly level on the first try. Sometimes if the trailer is only a smidge out of level on bare ground and only minimal adjustment is required, I may kick the gravel around a bit before backing up onto it. I use plastic chocks on both sides of the trailer and have a pair of custom wedge chocks that I use between the wheels for extra movement resistance.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
My comments have more to do with stabilizing than leveling, but I, too, like a rock solid trailer. With our twin axle 21', we found the standard BAL stabilizers located on all four corners of the frame function well to stabilize any side-to-side sway while moving around inside the trailer. But even with the wheels chocked tightly (using rubber chocks from Tractor Supply, not plastic), there was still front-to-back sway. The X-Chocks (purchased through ETI at a 25% discount thanks to the exchange rate) do a nice job of removing that front-to-back sway. The x-chocks are easy to use and come with their own wrench, but they are heavy to lug around and store when not in use. All said, we'll continue to use the rubber chocks for initial setup, drop the BAL stabilizers once the trailer is leveled, then use the x-chocks as final stabilizers. Sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't take more than a few minutes to give us the solid trailer feel that I like.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Those going from single to dual axles must realize it is an entirely new type of towing and set up. Whereas the single axle pivots on the single wheel with the dual axle sometimes the rear wheels will scrape sideways or be up in the air while maneuvering. With a single axle you had 4 chocks, you still need 4 chocks plus the "X" chocks between the axles to prevent movement. The B@L leveler worked well with the single axle, now you need plastic or wood blocks to raise one side in leveling.
Jim, are you saying the B@L will work with the 15 inch tires on a 17?
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have found that if one desires a perfectly level trailer , using the little plastic bubbles on the side of the trailer aren't the answer.
There is a huge variation between what the little factory levels say and what a 6 ft level or laser transit says in regards to trailer level.
I have tried my little level experiment on numerous trailer and everyone was off .
From what I've seen , the factory levels follow the close enough is good enough philosophy.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
Think Jim's talking about the BAL Levelers.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
I have purchased the LevelMate Pro - Bluetooth Vehicle Leveling System https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1to help setting up our model 21. I also will be using a set of the Anderson Levelers to raise the low side of the trailer.

I realize this may be more than many are willing to spend and seems to be over kill to such a simple problem as leveling a trailer. But, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a gadget nerd.

I am waiting for the snow to melt in our area before the trailer comes out of winter storage. As soon as I have some experience with this device, I'll post a review.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
The description says 13/14/15" wheels
Old 03-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We use these because they they fit between the dual axles and the BAL X-Chocks.

Slant Levelers, Set of 2 - Cp Technologies Company RKCW819004 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9645.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Here is a short YouTube video on how the LevelMate Pro system works.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
We use these because they they fit between the dual axles and the BAL X-Chocks.

Slant Levelers, Set of 2 - Cp Technologies Company RKCW819004 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
We have the same too Tom . Don't cost a arm and leg , store real nice in front storage box . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote