Lounge Chairs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Lounge Chairs

We have LaFuma 0 gravity chairs, comfortable yes, but not at all convenient. They are too heavy and too bulky to take along, even with the 8' truck bed, so they stay home.

Looking for an alternative, something that works out well when traveling. Doesn't need to be zero gravity.

I currently take a pair of Kermit chairs.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We have LaFuma 0 gravity chairs, comfortable yes, but not at all convenient. They are too heavy and too bulky to take along, even with the 8' truck bed, so they stay home.

Looking for an alternative, something that works out well when traveling. Doesn't need to be zero gravity.

I currently take a pair of Kermit chairs.
I know my wife would love one. We too have the LaFuma (was my parents), great chair, but no way something that huge and heavy is coming with us. If there was something that was a light, and easily stowable alternative, I would be considering it too. I will not have a chair laying loose while travelling, as it is just too inconvenient when not getting deployed when stopped.

Loving our Kermit chairs after 5 years now. They are holding up great, and the festival size without the feet have come in handy a lot. I know a couple others who bought them due to having tender backs and appreciate the firm seat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know my wife would love one. We too have the LaFuma (was my parents), great chair, but no way something that huge and heavy is coming with us. If there was something that was a light, and easily stowable alternative, I would be considering it too. I will not have a chair laying loose while travelling, as it is just too inconvenient when not getting deployed when stopped.

Loving our Kermit chairs after 5 years now. They are holding up great, and the festival size without the feet have come in handy a lot. I know a couple others who bought them due to having tender backs and appreciate the firm seat.
The Kermits worked out very well for us last winter, I really like them being so compact. Worth the time it takes to assemble them, for short moves I left them assembled.

Now if only we could get Kermit to build a break down lounge chair.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Boy, it is going to take a lot to beat a LaFuma. They are sooooo . . . comfortable. On trips with chance of lounging I always find a way to pack them. Frequent stops, lots of quick overnights and they stay home.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I have a zero gravity recliner, not a Lafuma but just as comfy (don't tell me otherwise!) and it's worth the space and weight. But I would take something lighter and smaller if it were just as comfy. Has to let me put my feet up, though.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Boy, it is going to take a lot to beat a LaFuma. They are sooooo . . . comfortable. On trips with chance of lounging I always find a way to pack them. Frequent stops, lots of quick overnights and they stay home.
I'm the exact same way. I'll leave extra socks at home if I need space for my LaFuma. But no it doesn't always go. Short time trips it stays home. But, I'll be out for 3 weeks in July and you can bet it's going along!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I take my recliner, and I take my other chair, too, when I'm camping with a group. The other chair can stay at the group site while I enjoy the recliner at my site. But there is only one of me (though sometimes I share the recliner).
Attached Thumbnails
13569004_10100839126470931_4256573758300171426_o.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
My zero gravity chair is like my Amex card, I don't leave home without it.

Yup, it's heavy and takes up a lot of space but when I want to kick back and really relax, nothing else comes close.

I keep looking and hoping to find one in aluminum but I've never found one. So until then, the clunker is it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I had one of those aluminum folding chairs with the webbing for 18 years. Cost me $1.99. But the frame broke several years back and I haven't been able to find a decent replacement since.

The Kermit looks great but how do they last? Especially the fabric? The camp chairs they sell nowadays are mostly junk. Hate to waste money on them.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
The Kermit looks great but how do they last? Especially the fabric? The camp chairs they sell nowadays are mostly junk. Hate to waste money on them.
For us, and others I know that use them, most everything about them is great; awesome support, quality build, stows in a small package, and looks great. The only down side is they are costly. I just checked, and I got ours just over 5 years ago, have used them hordes, and they are still in great condition.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
We have a pair of these and are very happy with them.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I take my recliner, and I take my other chair, too, when I'm camping with a group. The other chair can stay at the group site while I enjoy the recliner at my site. But there is only one of me (though sometimes I share the recliner).
Hi: Bobbie54... How do you draw straws with the dog? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My zero gravity chair is like my Amex card, I don't leave home without it.

Yup, it's heavy and takes up a lot of space but when I want to kick back and really relax, nothing else comes close.

I keep looking and hoping to find one in aluminum but I've never found one. So until then, the clunker is it.

Ron
We picked up two of these at Costco - aluminum frame, but still big and bulky to travel with.
So comfy though......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0245.jpg  
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #14

Has anyone tried an inflatable lounger? Also called air couch, air hammockThey are interesting, but I would like to try one first. They also stow away small. I imagine one would want to tether them when not in use, especially in a windy area.

There are a plethora of them out there, this is but one set of reviews. For the cost, it would certainly be worth a try.
Top 10 Best Inflatable Air Lounges Reviewed in 2017
Old 06-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I had one of those aluminum folding chairs with the webbing for 18 years. Cost me $1.99. But the frame broke several years back and I haven't been able to find a decent replacement since.
A web chair is the only "sitting" chair for me. A very bad back and one back surgery, I have to be really careful what kinda of chair I sit on.

You're not going to find another chair for $1.99 . But if you want a web chair, that's great quality, you can get it here: https://www.lawnchairusa.com/

I bought two in the spring, with shipping came to a bit more than $100. For my back, priceless.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Has anyone tried an inflatable lounger? Also called air couch, air hammockThey are interesting, but I would like to try one first. They also stow away small. I imagine one would want to tether them when not in use, especially in a windy area.

There are a plethora of them out there, this is but one set of reviews. For the cost, it would certainly be worth a try.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Great idea but probably won't accommodate my inflated ego too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #17

Quote:

Reviews state they deflate on their own. May be worth trying for $40 US.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
My wife's zero-gravity recliner was so comfortable (back support is important to her), we had to get another one for me.
Oversize Gray Recliner - Pride Family Brands Inc F5342OPDB35OX873K - Recliners - Camping World
For being "over-sized", they are relatively light, collapse relatively flat and stow nicely standing up in the back seat area of our crewcab truck. When not camping, they are in our gazebo where we sit to watch the sun set.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I can't use those recliner type chairs as they play havoc with my acid reflux, which is pretty much under control due to diet, but I don't want to chance it, so I don't use those types of chairs.

After much testing at stores, this is what we use. Folds up nicely in a carry bag. I use them at shows I vend at and it's really nice to have the fold up arms.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...type%3Dproduct

When I want to rest my feet, I use this:

Blue Ottoman - Mac Sports ROO-100 - Chair Accessories - Camping World

It also has a carry bag. Both are easy to fling in the back of the truck - either in the bed or the backseat.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I carry three different chairs -

I have 2 West Marine High Backed Chairs I use in place of the front cushions in the 17B. I've also taken them outside to sit backwards on picnic table benches. Very comfortable. Expensive, but they often go on sale.

I have an inexpensive Folding Director's Chair with Table that I bought a Quartzsite & use for pot lucks or snacking outside when I don't want to set up a table. No where near as comfortable as the West Marine chairs, but they do have legs...

My favorite chair is a folding chair with sunscreen I purchased at Ace Hardware. Unfortunately, they no longer sell them. I purchased a Renetto equivalent, but it really isn't. It is heavier, and the back of the arms keep sliding down when you rest your arms on them. The sunscreen chairs are handy if you don't want to bother running out the awning, but want to get out of the sun.

I did carry a Zero Gravity chair with me this winter, but rarely got it out of the truck. I'll leave it home on the trip to pick up the new trailer.