New Escape 17B order pending for Scamp 16 owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fortuna, California
Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Posts: 4
New Escape 17B order pending for Scamp 16 owners

My partner and I have just made the decision to make an Escape from our ancient and beloved Scamp 16. We, mostly he, have made zillions of mods to the Scamp, so it is very quirky. It will be distinctly odd to have a standard travel trailer, but also very luxurious for us. We will no longer be showing off our unique little house.

A few questions:
Just looking at the Build Sheet, does Escape Inc. have more than one standard upholstery fabric? Partner doesn't like their Formica pattern, but that is easy to replace. I sewed all our Scamp's upholstery, and figure I'll replace the upholstery once it and/or the foam the new Escape comes with needs replacement, probably a few years.

How dark are the tinted windows? I'm potentially not happy that I won't be able to see the landscape clearly. Anything to be troubled about?

Our delivery date is set for Sept. 6. We'll take another Scamp trip before that. There are, of course, repairs to the Scamp in progress. That's the way it is with a 30 year-old trailer!
__________________

Aspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspinner View Post
My partner and I have just made the decision to make an Escape from our ancient and beloved Scamp 16. We, mostly he, have made zillions of mods to the Scamp, so it is very quirky. It will be distinctly odd to have a standard travel trailer, but also very luxurious for us. We will no longer be showing off our unique little house.

A few questions:
Just looking at the Build Sheet, does Escape Inc. have more than one standard upholstery fabric? Partner doesn't like their Formica pattern, but that is easy to replace. I sewed all our Scamp's upholstery, and figure I'll replace the upholstery once it and/or the foam the new Escape comes with needs replacement, probably a few years.

How dark are the tinted windows? I'm potentially not happy that I won't be able to see the landscape clearly. Anything to be troubled about?

Our delivery date is set for Sept. 6. We'll take another Scamp trip before that. There are, of course, repairs to the Scamp in progress. That's the way it is with a 30 year-old trailer!
While they have made minor changes in the stock fabric, floor & counter colors & patterns over the years, there is only one choice. If you want something different, for an additional charge they will install your choice of materials. The thread covers some of the options.

I don't notice the tint on the windows, at least from the inside. It could be my 73 year old eyes, but I am a photographer.

Welcome to the Escape family!
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspinner View Post
We will no longer be showing off our unique little house....

A few questions:
Just looking at the Build Sheet, does Escape Inc. have more than one standard upholstery fabric? Partner doesn't like their Formica pattern, but that is easy to replace. I sewed all our Scamp's upholstery, and figure I'll replace the upholstery once it and/or the foam the new Escape comes with needs replacement, probably a few years.
Welcome! But whoa on the first comment as you will still be showing off your new Escape to many people as they generate a lot of interest.

ETI will add an upcharge for customer-supplied upholstery fabric. You can also chose a different Formica-brand laminate (for an additional charge) for the counters. See the Options list on the ETI website.

Again, welcome to the Escape world and to the forum.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,230
I bet close to 80% of all people who buy an Escape trailer choose custom upholstery, Formica and flooring... in that order. It's the thing that really stands out and makes each trailer unique to the owner... along with the exterior decal color. It only took me five long months to find the upholstery fabric I wanted and it had to ship (by boat) from Hawaii. So plan ahead!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I bet close to 80% of all people who buy an Escape trailer choose custom upholstery, Formica and flooring... in that order.
Oh man, once again I'm the minority. Factory upholstery,
Formica and flooring. I've made it unique in other ways.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspinner View Post

How dark are the tinted windows? I'm potentially not happy that I won't be able to see the landscape clearly. Anything to be troubled about?
I take a lot of photos through the glass. You can still see the rainbow colors so I'm guessing that the tint doesn't do much to outward visibility. I'm really glad to have the tint because of the privacy if someone walks but close to you. Easy to see out, difficult to see in.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0024_resize.JPG (157.1 KB, 19 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
With regard to the tinted windows, seeing outside is not an issue in my opinion. This picture shows a regular window and a non-opening window comparing the visibility of a window with and without a screen. Granted, these are the old style awning types but the principle of visibility lost with a screen is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WindowComparison.jpg (242.1 KB, 33 views)
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fortuna, California
Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Posts: 4
started the search for fabrics

Thanks to all who sent encouragement! We've started the search for fabrics, and know where we'll go for Formica once the fabric samples come in. You're right, of course. We have to make it ours, and color is the main way I do that, anywhere. Having spent many months living in our Scamp 16, we've learned that less is more... to a point. It will be great to have a full-time bathroom (don't ask) and other conveniences.
Aspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
If you call Formica, they will send you much bigger samples than you can get in a store.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspinner View Post
Thanks to all who sent encouragement! We've started the search for fabrics, and know where we'll go for Formica once the fabric samples come in. You're right, of course. We have to make it ours, and color is the main way I do that, anywhere. Having spent many months living in our Scamp 16, we've learned that less is more... to a point. It will be great to have a full-time bathroom (don't ask) and other conveniences.
We lived with the Escape colors for 3plus years then did our thing . That way we could spend funds on things we wanted done at the factory and have more money to do those options which start to add up . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,230
There is nothing wrong if you choose to buy an ETI built trailer with the standard upholstery, Formica or flooring!

I know Tammy and Reace on a personal level and have told Tammy I can't even imagine the disagreements when trying to choose these items for the masses and there's NO divorce at the end.

ETI has figured this out, there is nothing "wrong" with the default spec items. Pillows, rugs, and bed coverings can make any trailer... your own.

Make memories!
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upholstery choices, window tint

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.