A word of caution on the new "self-dumping awning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Back to the issue with the OP. The sensitivity of the auto-retract mechanism can be adjusted, no? Perhaps theirs was not set correctly when it was installed? Maybe something to check for everyone with the electric awning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Was out camping last week in a well-treed and protected campsite with my 2 month old 17B. We were going on to town for the day and I thought about retracting the awning, but recalled the claims of "wind sensor" and "self-dumping" features so I left it open. Bad idea.

I returned after some rain to find the awning full of water and sagging about 18". One of the arms is bent, the canvas is stretched and damaged, and the back side doesn't retract all the way.

So, Tammy advised me to contact Dometic and find someone in the area. She said it should be covered under warranty. However it plays out, it's going to be a pain in the butt st least. So I strongly recommend at least partially retracting the power awning both at night and when you're away. Would've taken me 30 seconds...
Yes, you might have avoided what happened if you had spent the 30 seconds you said you needed. Seems a good idea though for everyone to check that the awning actually works in these situations. See it do so, before leaving it some time. There are others who have had problems with these awnings and a check of the features might be a good idea even at the factory. Are they deploying them at orientation but no way to tell if wind or water feature works? That could be a first check on the shake-down stays or right outside of the factory. No telling, I guess, how yours worked, or did not, in the first place.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
That could be a first check on the shake-down stays or right outside of the factory. No telling, I guess, how yours worked, or did not, in the first place.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at Cathy. Something to make sure of before relying on it.

Even if you aren't away from the campsite, the auto-retract could save the awning in the event of sudden wind gusts etc.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
While you read automation is coming and humans will be replaced it isn't there yet. Don't trust the bots! A human interaction with the awning is still preferable. They haven't replaced us yet.....
Old 06-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #25

Trailer: pondering.....
so does Dometic's Awning warranty cover replacement and/or repair if the owner does not retract the awning in heavy rain, wind or bad weather and it is damaged as a result of that? ..
excerpt from Dometic Awning warranty..

"3. This Warranty covers only specified parts which shall be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use. This warranty does NOT cover conditions unrelated to the material and workmanship of the product. Such unrelated conditions include, but are not limited to: (a) damage not reported within seven (7) days of ownership; (b) failure or damage caused by storms, rain, water pooling, or any acts of God; (c) faulty installation and any damage resulting from such; (d) the need for normal maintenance and any damage resulting from the failure to provide such maintenance; (e) failure to follow Sellers instructions for use of this product; (f) any accident to or misuse of any part of this product and any alteration by anyone other than the Seller or its authorized representative; (g) damage or failure caused by installation of accessories not manufactured and marketed by the Seller; and (h) normal wear and product abuse."

if this is the case then the OP might be pretty lucky like the other new awning owner that had the ETI ramp hook issue (Escape 21 ?) that damaged the awning and apparently got the awning replaced.

have no idea of the details for part 12 of the warranty are

"12. All products (except those specifically built for commercial use) are warranted only when installed on vehicles built to current edition R.V.I.A. A119-2 and C.R.V.A. Z-240 Standards."
Old 06-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
so does Dometic's Awning warranty cover replacement and/or repair if the owner does not retract the awing in heavy rain, wind or bad weather and it is damaged as a result of that? ..
as in the OP case?
Most warranties don't cover misuse or failure to follow product guidelines. BUT, if the automatic retract feature failed to operate correctly, I would assume that IS covered. Don't know, just speculation.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 17
Float5,
Yep they are deploying them at orientation. They even take off the wind sensor and show you how to replace the battery. Op, I sure hope you get your bent arm paid for, and as posted above, they don't claim user error, or your awning battery. It's an expensive awning. Keep us posted and thanks for posting. Ps- excellent advice Jim
Old 06-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the instructions also say do not leave the awning unattended. I would be careful when explaining how the accident happened. I remember when a deer ran onto the road and my car hit it. I called the insurance and said my car was damaged when a deer hit me. I asked about the deductible and was told there was -0- because it was comprehensive vs collision. If I had called and said I hit a deer, then that is collision, subject to deductible.
Perhaps the storm occurred when you were away at the bathroom, thus not unattended?
Old 06-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #29

Trailer: None now
The auto retract does not work for rain, rain with no wind does not shake the awning. It simply collects and starts to sag. I chickened out and did not wait for the auto dump as we had a very visible sag starting with ours during a heavy rain. I see from the original posters comments that was a smart thing to do.
The one time the auto retract might have worked we had a sudden gust while in North Florida and the awning raised a good 3 feet above the trailer and the retract did not do anything. I grabbed the control and brought it in. Now we have a obvious slope or angle adjustment needed at the front. I have to push up as it comes in so it does not hook the guide tab as it hits at the very end now..
Testing it, with awning out shake it about 8 inches up and down and after a bit it worked perfectly. Same with a more violent shaking so it appears a single shake does not activate it . Reading the directions it says it takes 8 seconds of shaking to activate it. I tried it at 1 and at max to see if this affected the time as well as how much shake. at 1 even very light shaking for 8 seconds and it retracted. at maximum I could not get it to sense so I left the sensor at max until I adjust the slope. I do not want it to retract and possibly destroy the awning . I retract if if we leave or are not nearby and if the weather looks iffy.
I wish we had opted for the manual one now.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #30

My question was whether there was a way to tell if wind or water pooling features work when deployed at the factory. If they remove the wind sensor, then I guess not. Something everyone needs to see about at the time since the warranty apparently gives you a ridiculously short seven days to know. Many if not most would not use those features in that time.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
8 seconds out here in the Desert will get you the points on the back of a bull, but if hit with a sudden Desert 70 mph gust or whirling dervish it will already destroy the awning/gel coat before you reach the 8 second horn. I would treat it as always, practice good awing habits and retract it when not in attendance.
Unfortunately, it also doesn't appear to be able to be staked out due to it's design which we do with the manual awning and then we don't have to worry about the gusts, etc.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #32

Per the instruction manual, the auto dump is for light rain. We are to retract the awning in heavy rain. I'm not sure if it works as we observed it during heavy rain.

The auto retract takes 8 seconds of shake to activate per the manual. After auto retract is enabled there is a timeout period before you can extend the awning again.

If the battery is weak the awning will retract within 30 minutes.
If it is dead or the sensor is not on the awning it will retract after 1 hour.

We were shown how to replace the battery and it was explained that there was a water shed feature. How much rain was not mentioned,. I found that in the manual it says a light rain. The rain we were in started light and very quickly became heavy. We were inside the trailer and I opened the door and looked at the awning and saw it sagging between the arms so I retracted it.

They shook the awning and showed it would retract. They might consider saying to only depend on rain shed in light rain, my issue with the awning is mostly due to how long it takes to activate auto retract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
My question was whether there was a way to tell if wind or water pooling features work when deployed at the factory. If they remove the wind sensor, then I guess not. Something everyone needs to see about at the time since the warranty apparently gives you a ridiculously short seven days to know. Many if not most would not use those features in that time.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #33

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Back to the issue with the OP. The sensitivity of the auto-retract mechanism can be adjusted, no? Perhaps theirs was not set correctly when it was installed? Maybe something to check for everyone with the electric awning.
Good question and one I should look in to. I've only had the awning out a few times as it was usually too wet to deploy it. However, one time I did and I was there when some wind came up. I was rather curious how much wind it would take to have it automatically retract. I chickened out and pulled it back in when the wind flopped it around enough that part of it flipped up and kind of backwards. Nope, didn't deploy, but it sure did when I used the remote on it.

I have to kind of laugh over those that post "yeah, if you had brought it in, etc, etc, etc". I think the OP figured that one out as soon as they got back to their trailer. As I tell Dirk "yeah, Mr Obvious Man" over some of the things he says to me.

Even though it's a bitch this happened to someone, I'm glad it was brought out in a thread as I'll remember it in the future and think "yeah, don't wanna be having that happen to me". Although I'm sure something else will!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #34

NW Cat Owner,
I think the auto retract should not be depended on to protect the awning. If you are not near the trailer or can not quickly access the control you should consider retracting it. Since it is not supposed to be tied down there is not a lot that would keep wind from damaging it.

Now that I have been thinking about it again I'm going to see if I can adjust the slope to correct the issue with ours. I checked and nothing appears to be bent as far as the arms so I should be able to correct it.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #35

Laura, you have had more than your share of problems with the trailer. It has to get better. Most of us do not have to deal with all of that.

Too bad Reace did not have at least two or three of these plumbing lines bad before Osoyoos. And he is doing the awning tabs at the same time. He is running all over the country fixing trailers that he could have fixed there but only had one there. Those in Texas and many others he is now seeing were at Osoyoos. If he had had it figured out by then, he would have had many fewer to fix on the road.

And by the way, I will say what I and others have said many times, namely, to turn off the water pump and/campground faucet and the water heater when leaving the campground. All kinds of things have happened including by pets.

And maybe add to that to bring in the awning unless no chance of wind and heavy rain --- which is probably about never. Well, except maybe in Texas in the middle of the hot season! We rarely deploy the awning. Will probably have to start doing that more.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Although for me the wind sensor is set to sensitive on my awning, the feature works great. I have had it retract on me a few times when the wind got really strong. The one time we watched it dance around, going up and down a good foot or two for a bit, then in it went. Seeing these awnings are built to flex a lot like that I am not concerned with this feature at all.

I do have to wonder how the water shed feature would work for a light rain, yet not work with heavier rain. How could the rate the water builds up affect this feature? This really is my only concern. Brought in halfway works fine, but I would like it to be out further keeping our matt and other stuff dry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do have to wonder how the water shed feature would work for a light rain, yet not work with heavier rain. How could the rate the water builds up affect this feature? This really is my only concern.
Come to another Fall NOG and we'll give it a workout and determine it's ability
Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #38

Jim, did you check the setting on the sensor? Ours was set originally between 3 and 4. I tried 1 and it is very sensitive, it still takes about 8 seconds but very minor shaking set it off. I have it on 8 so it does not go off now though since there is an issue with ours possibly catching the tab on the front.
It's a good last resort but I do not plan on trusting it when I fix the slope problem. I'll retract if we are not around the trailer.
At least doing so is easy now. I do remember the one with an 18 footer it was a pain to do by myself. Even the 10 foot on the last was not quick to do, Push a button now and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Although for me the wind sensor is set to sensitive on my awning, the feature works great. I have had it retract on me a few times when the wind got really strong. The one time we watched it dance around, going up and down a good foot or two for a bit, then in it went. Seeing these awnings are built to flex a lot like that I am not concerned with this feature at all.

I do have to wonder how the water shed feature would work for a light rain, yet not work with heavier rain. How could the rate the water builds up affect this feature? This really is my only concern. Brought in halfway works fine, but I would like it to be out further keeping our matt and other stuff dry.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #39

Trailer: August 2017 17b
For those with manual awning experiences.... Did you leave your awning out over night, and/or away for a few hours during the day? ...or is it always supposed to be closed when not in attendance, electronic OR supported with the manual set-up?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
For those with manual awning experiences.... Did you leave your awning out over night, and/or away for a few hours during the day? ...or is it always supposed to be closed when not in attendance, electronic OR supported with the manual set-up?
The manufacturer of the Carefree Fiesta awning says to not leave it deployed and unattended. They also recommend stowing it when it's windy.

We've been frequent violators of those rules, guilty as charged. There have been quite a few times when the wind started blowing and I've watched Casita owners running back to their trailer to stow their Fiamma awning while I sat under ours doing nothing. Its very sturdy and can stand up to a breeze easily. In fact, if deployed properly, its so rigid that a wind gust will make it shake the trailer. Of course, if its really gusty or stormy we stow it.

This might sound weird but one of my favorite activities is sitting under the awning when it's raining. As long as it's not a severe thunderstorm, I don't give the awning a second thought.