Backup Camera Report - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Backup Camera Report

If you like the WIRELESS backup camera currently on your trailer, and it is always reliable, please tell me the make and model.

I currently have a "Rear View Safety" brand, RVS-7706123WQC, with a 7 inch monitor and wireless camera, bought in 2014. It is powered through a manual switch, so it is on when driving forward as well as backward.

It has never functioned perfectly on my Escape 5.0. The picture is always jerky, but the real problem is that the screen goes black intermittently, seemingly without reason, & with no discernible pattern. Sometimes the monitor goes black just as I am changing lanes in front of that semi truck!

When I called the manufacturer (who is also the seller) they promptly sent me two, new, mag-mount antennae, each with a long wire, to replace the rubber duckies. I attached one of these to the camera, which is mounted on the curve of the roof, above the trailer's rear window. I ran this antenna wire through plastic guides over the roof and down to the kingpin, where it is magnetically mounted. The other antenna is attached to the camera. The wire is run under the seats to the inside of the rear window of the pick-up. The two antennae are about 2 feet apart. This helped a little bit, but the problem largely persists. I do not want to drill any holes in the cab of my truck. That is why I went with a wireless camera to start with.

So, which WIRELESS models work reliably? And, how have you configured yours? (trailer model, antenna style, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the info.
Rich
Currently in Catalina State Park near Tucson, AZ

aldertree2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I purchased the wireless back up camera that ETI provides (RVS-155W-FB) and it has performed flawlessly on my 2018 5.0TA. I know some wireless backup camera's can suffer from cell phone interference of which I have not experienced.

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Tadi Brothers - very good people to work with. Been happy with their system since ETI installed it in 2014; previously had an RVS system that behaved as you've described. All of their cameras are the same; you choose the style of monitor you wish. I use a clamp-over-the-truck-mirror monitor since there's nothing to see once the trailer is attached.

Whatever system you decide on, minimize the distance between the camera side transmitter and the receiver in the tow. Otherwise you might need a repeater (which TADI does sell) but I don't need one with my 21. My transmitter is 4 feet behind the hitch ball and the receiver is VHB taped to my rear window for a separation of maybe 12 feet.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/categor...IaAuTeEALw_wcB

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have the ETI provided camera in my 2018 17. I didn't go look because I assume it's the same as Kent's. It's been perfect every time. I did a 12,000 mile trip this summer (and probably 3000 miles before that) and it has been used the whole way.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Thanks to all for replying. Sounds like the RVS-155w system works well. But, before I purchase another system from Rear View Safety I would like to know if anyone using any model of RVS has experienced any problems with it. Please reply if you have.
Thanks.
aldertree2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup monitor, camera, electrical, rear, rear view