Black Tank Rinse on 21? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a Tornado Rinse System since system to my 17B. It worked well at clearing the level sensors, but so far the Horst probes installed in my 21 are working without a rinse system.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Can someone confirm that I could switch my original (standard) sensors to the "Horst" brand? Will they work with the existing display?
You can always install probes or sensors, either in the original locations or in new locations (just abandoning the original probes).

The Horst probes are just electrical contacts (a bolt through the tank wall) like regular probes, so yes, the work with the same level indicator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our factory probes / tank level sensors have never given an accurate readings as far as I can determine by comparing what the sensors indicate and the amount that leaves the tanks when draining . The fresh water tank sensor reads low and the black tank sensor reads high
IE ; Our fresh water level sensor says the tank is empty but when I drain the fresh water tank I can fill 3 -5 gallon pails
I realize that this problem is not unique to Escape and the system they install is one of the better ones on the market . I am laying no blame on ETI

My wish is too fix this issue and have sensors that give fairly accurate level indications
I have tried cleaning the tanks with RV chemicals designed for cleaning the probes and have flushed the tanks with warm / hot water and soap to no avail .
I have also checked the wiring connections at the black tank and at the visual display

Our trailer has the spray foam under floor insulation
How difficult is it to remove the probes on all 3 tanks and either physically clean them or replace the existing probes ?
I do not know which probes were installed - old style or Horst . If the older style , I would install the never style Horst probe if possible and practical
I am trying to decide if the project is possible and if the gain is worth the effort
Has anyone repaired or modified their tank level sensors ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my sensors will give an accurate reading if I use the tank wand to blast the side of the tank that the sensors are on, on my 21, thats the left or street side. I typically only do this once every so many dumps, when I'm at a dump station without a line, and when I'm not trying to get back on the road. it is a lot to have a helper to run the wand while I'm outside working the faucet and dump valves.

I *never* open the grey until after the black is completely empty and flushed and closed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Steve,
I believe your 2018 already has Horst probes, but you can confirm that with the factory.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve,
I believe your 2018 already has Horst probes, but you can confirm that with the factory.
Thank you , that well may be the place to start .
Old 01-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my sensors will give an accurate reading if I use the tank wand to blast the side of the tank that the sensors are on, on my 21, thats the left or street side. I typically only do this once every so many dumps, when I'm at a dump station without a line, and when I'm not trying to get back on the road. it is a lot to have a helper to run the wand while I'm outside working the faucet and dump valves.

I *never* open the grey until after the black is completely empty and flushed and closed.
Same here , exactly what we do . Wand goes very easy through bath window . Sometimes we just wait until we get home and use our clean out . Really keeps the sensors working . We just have the old sensors but believe in Odorless tank additives too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Odorlos, if you're searching.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Odorlos, if you're searching.
Sorry Glenn I spelled it wrong but that’s it ! Pat
Old 01-22-2020, 12:40 AM   #30

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Sensors! How cool would that be! And a window you could pull a hose through? Very cool! Someday! A wand is great, but after I dump I like to go into the store and buy a bag of ice and pour it down with the blue stuff. As I drive, the ice bangs around and cleans the walls a bit. At least that’s how I picture it. Then when it melts, I have a decent amount of water mixed with the deodorizer. Hmmm...maybe that ice wouldn’t be good for sensors, however they work. But it works for me.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Sensors! How cool would that be! And a window you could pull a hose through? Very cool! Someday! A wand is great, but after I dump I like to go into the store and buy a bag of ice and pour it down with the blue stuff. As I drive, the ice bangs around and cleans the walls a bit. At least that’s how I picture it. Then when it melts, I have a decent amount of water mixed with the deodorizer. Hmmm...maybe that ice wouldn’t be good for sensors, however they work. But it works for me.

Actually, it doesn't work at all. There is a video that I've posted here before. Fellow built a clear plexi tank and filled it with "stuff", put it in the back of a pickup truck and drove around while filming. The ice just sloshed around in the middle and accomplished nothing. I'll do a search and post it, if I find it.
Here you go. It's long than necessary, but proves the point. https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/do-...k-really-work/
Old 01-22-2020, 12:55 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I've done numerous wand flushings on the black tank but my sensor always reads "full".

Can someone confirm that I could switch my original (standard) sensors to the "Horst" brand? Will they work with the existing display?
--
Alan
Figure out where the sensors are relative to the toilet, and after draining and generally rinsing the black tank, concentrate the spray on that side, slowly panning up down and back and forth. It's probably old TP hung up on the sensor probes
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I added a Tornado Rinse System since system to my 17B. It worked well at clearing the level sensors, but so far the Horst probes installed in my 21 are working without a rinse system.
We also have the Tornado installed on our 21' since 2014, it has worked well for us.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:18 AM   #34

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Quote:
Actually, it doesn't work at all. There is a video that I've posted here before. Fellow built a clear plexi tank and filled it with "stuff", put it in the back of a pickup truck and drove around while filming. The ice just sloshed around in the middle and accomplished nothing. I'll do a search and post it, if I find it.
Here you go. It's long than necessary, but proves the point. https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/do-...k-really-work/
Well shoot, it’s made me feel good all these years! Oh well, I guess I owe you a thank you for saving me the price of a bag of ice from now on!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #35

Calls for a gin and tonic.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Calls for a gin and tonic.
Glenn who knew I like gin too if I get a drink ! Pat
Old 01-23-2020, 01:22 AM   #37

I have never let gin pass my lips since my first girl friend's mother gave me a gin and tap water with no ice.
Not keen on any whiskies either, but I do enjoy Drambuie for some reason. I was in to port for a while and have two unopened bottles in the trailer that have been there for ten years.

Don't understand vodka and OJ or whatever.
Dos cerveza por favor.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Figure out where the sensors are relative to the toilet, and after draining and generally rinsing the black tank, concentrate the spray on that side, slowly panning up down and back and forth. It's probably old TP hung up on the sensor probes
Sigh - if only it worked. Since the black tank on the '21 is easily visible and the probes are obvious, I have spent many minutes aiming the spray towards that side - with no luck. The monitor always shows full.

But I did look at Horst sensors and they imply they will work with many brands of monitors, so I will give them a try.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve,
I got an E-Mail from Escape today The black and gray tank probes in our 2018 21 are horst
Escape believes the issue is not with the horst probes or the monitor but with the wire / resistor connected to the probe . My plan is to replace the wires / resistors on the black tank
( Easily accessible) and see if it solves the problem . If it does then I can decide if I want to cut out the underfloor foam insulation to repair the gray and fresh tanks

** I wish to compliment Escape for their prompt , polite and detailed answer to my inquiry
Hopefully their diagnosis is correct and with a little effort on my part , the issue will be resolved **
Old 01-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #40

Quote:
I have never let gin pass my lips since my first girl friend's mother gave me a gin and tap water with no ice.
Not keen on any whiskies either, but I do enjoy Drambuie for some reason. I was in to port for a while and have two unopened bottles in the trailer that have been there for ten years.

Don't understand vodka and OJ or whatever.
Dos cerveza por favor.
Not much of a drinker here either Glenn . Would like a Tom Collins if offered and once in a while a imported beer in glass . At this age my stomach can’t deal with much alcohol . Pat