Can someone school me on how to use a manometer for propane? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Can someone school me on how to use a manometer for propane?

Gordon Lyman on the Scamp Facebook page gave me the basics... like what it's for. I'd like to buy the meter, I don't want to make one. Anyone have a link to the 'right' one?

Soon I will be going out for months at a time. IF this is something I can do for myself, I'd rather do that than need to search out an RV shop... especially in an area I'm totally unfamiliar with.

I want to do this as part of routine maintenance, not for trying to do repairs, etc.

Whenever I take Ten Forward in for bearing/brake service, I ask that the propane be tested. Don't know what they did, but I haven't blown myself up yet...

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Site Team

And THIS is why: KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Firefighters investigating trailer explosion in West Wichita

Old 06-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
This is the one I ordered. Looked good, but never got to use it before it disappeared.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
This is the one I ordered. Looked good, but never got to use it before it disappeared.
That looks like a nice unit and I recognize the name. I wonder with these short trailers (low pressure drop) is it sufficient to just measure after it comes off the regulator or do you really need to measure at an appliance which would be considerably harder?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
You operate 1/2 of your BTU load appliances and adjust the regulator to the desired pressure. Pressure changes as more items are operated. Some regulators have a test port for your guage.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Manometer

Hi Donna
When we bought the 21 from AZ Jack he included the yellow jacket manometer. Looks pretty straightforward. I have not had to adjust the regulator as Jack said he had done that and in ensuing months, we did not have any problems from 500 ft to 7,000 ft elevations where we camped. Heres pics of the unit. Looks like shut tanks off, disconnect pigtail to trailer propane, insert fitting into regulator, slide hose into barbed end. Open tanks, observe reading, turn adjusting screw on regulator to desired water column pressure. Shut off tanks and reconnect pigtail. Hope this helps. If you’d ever come to an Eastern USA rally we could fix you up with a test.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you have the (optional) low-pressure outside outlet, you could put a quick-disconnect plug on the gauge, and just plug it in to use it, instead of disconnecting hoses.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Site Team

ooooh thanks group! This doesn't sound are hard and scary as I thought. I envisioned disconnecting each appliance and testing each one. And yes Brian, I DO have the low-pressure outside outlet.

Feel free to continue the help!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Getting a quickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you have the (optional) low-pressure outside outlet, you could put a quick-disconnect plug on the gauge, and just plug it in to use it, instead of disconnecting hoses.
Hey that’s a great idea Brian. I have one of those ends for my campfire in a can and I know where I can get another one. The first one I got for the campfire was a Mr. Heater brand and while it fit in the quick connect, the propane would not flow because it did not seat right. One of the local camper dealers had what I needed though and it’s worked great. I think I’ll get one for the manometer. Thanks for the idea.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Hey, Donna. Skip bought one a couple weeks ago... It's a Yellow Jacket Water Manometer, similar to what Morgan told us how to make, years ago. $31 on Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 613pSIfVdCL._SL1500_.jpg (57.0 KB, 21 views)