Cold weather camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17b
Cold weather camping

I am in Cottonwood Arizona camping. Thinking of visiting the Grand Canyon but I see temps dropping below 0 c overnight. Cameron seems to be above 0, but can I see the Grand Canyon from there? I do not have an insulation pkg. on my 2006 17b. Anyone have comments or suggestions for me? How cold of weather can I camp in without freezing up my systems?

grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
We have overnighted several times when temperatures dipped into the lower 20F's, daytime temps rising back into the 50 range. No issue in our 2008 17B sans insulation package - water heater ON and furnace running at lower setting. I think I recall seeing a note from ETI, long ago, that may have suggested that night temps could dip into the high teens (F) without damaging the water system, as long as daytime temps rose comfortably above freezing. Enjoy...

soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm assuming ur at Deadhorse state park in Cottonwood, which is an awesome park. You can day trip the Canyon from there if you just are wanting to see it. About 2.5 to 3 hrs each way drive time from Cottonwood. If you move N from there this time of year you could encounter some serious weather and temps. Trailer Village in the park is open year round, but wouldn't recommend it in Feb.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: All...We seem to be doing a lot of cold weather camping here in the south... Not by choice but by chance. Weather can be quite fickle along the Gulf of Mexico. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Have cold weather camped, once in Bryce when at 7am it was still in the teens and walking from the truck to the edge my fingers almost fell off. With propane and that furnace never had freeze issues in ET-19.

Tip: We also keep our sleeping bags in the trailer.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
We are in Benson AZ at the SKP. Was 29 night before last. Ran the heater, no problems other than it was brrrr.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We're looking at some nights in the mid teens F and days only in the 40s as we head into northern New Mexico and then southern Colorado. Our 2010 17b does not have spray foam on the bottom. Anybody tried the these temps? If it was getting into the 50s during the day I'd feel more comfortable

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I camped in January where it RAINED and temps were 37-39 at night, 43-48 during the day. Used the furnace during the day and the Vornado at night. I know that's not the teens you're talking about.... I wasn't hooked up to water, but had plenty of electricity. Have fun and make good memories.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...Have fun and make good memories.
Thanks Donna, we have been.

Not so much tonight as Patagonia State Park AZ has turned into one large very loud party tonight. We had to move from a quiet loop to the middle of the apparently loud family designated area as we could only get 2 nights in the first site. Approximately 15-20 people in the site right across the road from us. So much for this place being full of birders this time of year as we were led to believe. We can watch the U of A basketball game on the big screen TV in the next site over.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

Trailer: None
We have camped several times in below 0 F temperatures
The coldest was 17 below zero F. Our water system was drained and winterized. We hauled jugs of water in our vehicle and used RV antifreeze for flushing the toilet. When temps get that low every thing tends to freeze , so we carry very little with us except for frozen food , alcohol and plenty of propane.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote