Gray Tank Drainage - New Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Gray Tank Drainage - New Escape 21

Do gray tanks drain well on the new 21? I have a 2014 Escape 21, and the gray tank drains slowly and incompletely unless the trailer is slanted toward the driver's side.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
In addition to raising the passenger side, it helps to open the stopper in shower and sink drains. The vent pipe is a small diameter.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
In addition to raising the passenger side, it helps to open the stopper in shower and sink drains. The vent pipe is a small diameter.
Our experience too....and even then it trickles for 15-20 minutes, if you have the time.......

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Jeff, Everything about the gray tank in our 2017 21' is slow - from the galley sink drain to the dump valve. But I just use it as an excuse kick back and relax a little longer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Drain speed

Our 21 drains at about the same speed as the 19 did. Not too fast after the initial push of water. Like Bob says, open at least one drain, I like the shower drain myself. When I'm winterizing I either ran the 19 up on a couple of 2X6s or parked him on a slant an let him set a while. At dump stations after a few minutes it's still trickling out and I might rock it to get a little slosh and call it Good but I never shake it. Easy does it
Iowa Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1786.jpg (169.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Jeff, Everything about the gray tank in our 2017 21' is slow - from the galley sink drain to the dump valve. But I just use it as an excuse kick back and relax a little longer.
And the opportunity to engage in conversation those that are in line waiting to dump !
Old 07-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
The issue with the slow draining tank has to also do with the way the tank is installed (almost flat). The almost level tank is slightly angled on my 5.0ta with a piece of wood about 3/4 of an inch. All the above ways of getting it to fully drain are helpful but that is what causes the slow drainage on our beautiful campers! Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
The E-21has the same issue as the Casita 17. The drain pipe is only 1.5" in dia. LHC speeded up the draining process in the C-17's by upgrading to greywater 2" drain plumbing and changing out a 90 deg. fitting to two 45 deg. fittings to improve flow. A 2" pipe has almost twice as much volume as a 1.5" pipe. There are formulas to figure out pipe flows if you like to see the exact figures. Opening up drains will not speed the process since there are traps in the drain lines between the drains and tanks. One reason the greywater tank does not empty completely is the tank is bowed down at the bottom which traps water in the tank. A third center tank support would help resolve this issue. Blocking up tires on the door side or just waiting is the fix for now.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Replacing the shower trap with a hepvo helped - I guess the grey tank is getting additional venting somewhat from that. But it's not enough.

I'm in the process of replacing the sewer wye and valves with 3" on both sides, replacing the 1 1/2" with 2" piping, and adding bracing under the grey tank to minimize the sag. On my trailer, the grey water discharge is going somewhat uphill going into the dump valves - replacing with 2" will get rid of the uphill and should help.

On the Casita, the grey tank already had a 2" drain outlet - we used that outlet with 2" piping to speed up the drainage. On the Escape, the outlet is a 1 1/2" threaded outlet with little room to increase the outlet size. Any ideas on how to get around this?
Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
That's exactly what I did a week ago, Iowa Dave! ( See pic on Post #5). I'm wondering if the gray water tank on the newly designed 21 has been modified so that the tank will drain efficiently without tipping the trailer toward the driver's side. That should be easy to do.