Victron settings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2023, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Victron settings

I just finished up an install of a Victron 100/30 smart charger and the Victron smart shunt. In trying to set everything up (including the factory installed Victron 12/12 18 regulator for the tv) I知 a little overwhelmed by all the numbers out there and am completely confused as to which charge settings to use. In addition to the above my electrical system includes the standard.WFCO power center 2 100ah lifepo batteries and 2 190 wh solar panels. What settings have others used for this setup or what would you use with this system. Many, many thanks. Ed
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlynnrich View Post
I just finished up an install of a Victron 100/30 smart charger and the Victron smart shunt. In trying to set everything up (including the factory installed Victron 12/12 18 regulator for the tv) I知 a little overwhelmed by all the numbers out there and am completely confused as to which charge settings to use. In addition to the above my electrical system includes the standard.WFCO power center 2 100ah lifepo batteries and 2 190 wh solar panels. What settings have others used for this setup or what would you use with this system. Many, many thanks. Ed
We have Go Power batteries and a Victron controller. I contacted Go Power to request the settings for our Victron controller.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 11:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Into my Casita I temporarily installed 2 Battleborn GC2's in parallel, Victron BMV-712, Victron 100/30 MPPT (upgraded from a Victron 100/15 to be able to connect all 4 of my 100w panels in series.)

After several calls to BB & Victron, these are the settings that were recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
img1.jpg   img3.jpg   img2.jpg   img5.jpg  
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
We have Go Power batteries and a Victron controller. I contacted Go Power to request the settings for our Victron controller.
I should have thought of that. Thanks. I sent Go Power a message and I値l post their response.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks Don. I have the Escape installed Go Power batteries. I should have mentioned that. It will be interesting to see how Go Power charge profile compares to Battleborn.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:55 PM   #6

Here is a picture of Go Power recommended settings. The float voltage seems awfully high to me compared to other battery recommendations that I致e seen, but what do I know. What do the electrical wizards think.
Attached Thumbnails
DE99BE47-A1B9-40C5-B015-CB5E5DF7DEE8.jpg  
Old 06-28-2023, 08:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Quote:
Here is a picture of Go Power recommended settings. The float voltage seems awfully high to me compared to other battery recommendations that I’ve seen, but what do I kanow. What do the electrical wizards think.
Wow! That is exceedingly high. Those numbers are Absorption-high. Everything I've read confirms that LiFeP04 batteries are not supposed to be floated. The ones I've personally worked with over the years (Winston/Thundersky, Calb, Headway, Battleborn and a few others I can't remember) all state in their datasheet to either disable float charging (in the charge controller or charger/inverter) or set the float voltage as low as the device will allow. Setting the float voltage to the lowest voltage available will ensure that it will never float charge.

AND EQUALIZE VOLTAGE?!!! YOU NEVER EQUALIZE LITHIUM CELLS/BATTERIES! NO NO NO!
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:30 PM   #8

Thanks Don. I noticed that your float voltage was set at 13.2. Do you recommend that voltage for my Go Power or should I set it lower like zero? I’m aware that lithium batteries shouldn’t be equalized but thanks for the reminder. Ed
Old 06-29-2023, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Don. I noticed that your float voltage was set at 13.2. Do you recommend that voltage for my Go Power or should I set it lower like zero? I知 aware that lithium batteries shouldn稚 be equalized but thanks for the reminder. Ed
Hi Ed,

I asked Go Power customer support last year for their recommendations for our Victron 100/50 MPPT controller. The following recommendations were provided by Bob Lane for the Go Power batteries that were installed in our 21 NE last year. We have 2 x 100 amp LiFePO4 batteries.

Quoting Bob:

please see my answers below: absorb voltage !$>$e

Absorption Voltage: 14.4
Float Voltage:13.9
Equalization Voltage: Low you don't want to equalize these batteries (12 VC
Re-Bulk Voltage offset:
Absorption Duration: (Adaptive/Fixed) 4 Hours but depends on size of battery bank
Maximum Absorption Time:4 Hours but depends on size of battery bank
Tail Current: not required
Equalization Current Percentage: have to ask Victron about this one
Automatic Equalization: (Disabled / Equalize every ____ Days) do not equalize these batteries
Equalization stop mode: (Fixed Time / Automatic on Voltage) do not equalize these batteries
Maximum Equalization Duration: 4 hours but do not equalize these batteries
Temperature Compensation (mV/ーC):
Low-Temperature Cutoff (optional): zero C

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Darrell
Old 06-29-2023, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Wow! That is exceedingly high. Those numbers are Absorption-high. Everything I've read confirms that LiFeP04 batteries are not supposed to be floated. The ones I've personally worked with over the years (Winston/Thundersky, Calb, Headway, Battleborn and a few others I can't remember) all state in their datasheet to either disable float charging (in the charge controller or charger/inverter) or set the float voltage as low as the device will allow. Setting the float voltage to the lowest voltage available will ensure that it will never float charge.

AND EQUALIZE VOLTAGE?!!! YOU NEVER EQUALIZE LITHIUM CELLS/BATTERIES! NO NO NO!
Instead of stating "if applicable" for equalization voltage, Go Power could have specified "not applicable" in their recommendations for their LiFePO4 batteries.

See the manual for the 100/30 and 100/50 Victron controllers, pages 13 and 14, where it states "The table below indicates the charge algorithm and charge settings for each rotary switch position." Position 7, for LiFePO4 batteries, sets absorption voltage at 14.2 and float voltage at 13.5 for 12 volt systems.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/.../index-en.html
Old 06-29-2023, 11:09 PM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
SOK currently recommends a float voltage of 13.8.

Food for thought,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Float voltage is normal in the lipo range
My SOK does not recommend equalization at all.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question

Genuinely curious because I have no idea of the answer ....

Even though all being discussed are LiFePO4 battery chemistry, is it possible that some of the various controller / charger settings / parameters may appropriately be different for different batteries depending on a given battery's specific internal construction (e.g. 'prismatic cells' vs 'pouch cells' vs 'cylindrical cells', etc) or some other battery-specific characteristic?
Old 06-30-2023, 12:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Float voltage is normal in the lipo range
My SOK does not recommend equalization at all.
setting the equalization voltage the same as the float voltage is equivalent to disabling equalization .

the float voltage for LFP can be anything high enough that the battery doesn't discharge as long as the actual load current is equal or less than the charger output current. I think anything in the 13.2 to 14.2 v range will do. 13.6 is probably a good setting. these values are pretty much the same for all lithium iron phosphate, any difference in the specifications of a given brand have more to do with how that brand's engineers interpret the battery chemistry.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
OK I have no idea what float voltage is or equalization? I am just beginning to get into this stuff. This site is the best thanks in advance.
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
OK I have no idea what float voltage is or equalization? I am just beginning to get into this stuff. This site is the best thanks in advance.
equalization is strictly for flooded lead acid batteries.... its a higher voltage, often around 15-16V, applied once every month or so to an already fully charged battery, designed to prevent sulfating.

float voltage is the voltage the charger outputs once the battery is fully charged. lead acid batteries like a more complex charge cycle, with 'bulk', 'absorption', then 'float' stages. Lithium Iron Phosphate batts are perfectly happy with just bulk then float. Ideal lithium cycle looks like max current until the voltage hits 14.2-14.4V, then hold that voltage for an hour or two, then drop to the 'float' voltage of 13.6 or so.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
setting the equalization voltage the same as the float voltage is equivalent to disabling equalization .

the float voltage for LFP can be anything high enough that the battery doesn't discharge as long as the actual load current is equal or less than the charger output current. I think anything in the 13.2 to 14.2 v range will do. 13.6 is probably a good setting. these values are pretty much the same for all lithium iron phosphate, any difference in the specifications of a given brand have more to do with how that brand's engineers interpret the battery chemistry.
I知 glad to see this thread is getting some traction. I知 slightly less confused than when I first tried to set up my solar controller. Following John痴 advice I知 going to set my float voltage to 13.6. The absorption voltage I知 going to set at the mid-point of Go Power recommendation at 14.3. If someone starts screaming NO, NO , NO! I値l change them.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
I知 glad to see this thread is getting some traction. I知 slightly less confused than when I first tried to set up my solar controller. Following John痴 advice I知 going to set my float voltage to 13.6. The absorption voltage I知 going to set at the mid-point of Go Power recommendation at 14.3. If someone starts screaming NO, NO , NO! I値l change them.
John's advice is solid. I have three Renogy batteries, and the Absorption voltage is 14.4 V and the Float voltage is 13.5, and no Equaliztion. I notice that the float voltage maintains the batteries at about 95 - 97% charge, which is good for a Lithium battery. Lithium batteries do NOT like to be stored at 100% charge. As others have said, if you cannot turn off Equalization function in your charge controller, set the Equalization voltage equal to or slightly less than Absorption voltage. Typical equalization voltages will cause the Lithium battery BMS to shut down and could possibly damage the battery.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote