August 2017 Solar Eclipse - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #61

Trailer: shopper
If you are game for the potential cow pies, we have a pasture right off Highway 126, 6 miles east of Sisters OR. Dry camping on grass, with fresh water spigots, wide open but no shade. NOT a commercial operation, but Escapes welcome with prior arrangement, and donations to Sisters Habitat for Humanity welcome. We'll pull the cows and sheep off the pasture and quit irrigating a couple of days ahead. Please don't plan to be on the road the day of the eclipse - roads will be jammed!
contact karaneswaner@yahoo.com (aka Eurekagirl1950)
Eurekagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:27 AM   #62
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurekagirl View Post
If you are game for the potential cow pies, we have a pasture right off Highway 126, 6 miles east of Sisters OR. Dry camping on grass, with fresh water spigots, wide open but no shade. NOT a commercial operation, but Escapes welcome with prior arrangement, and donations to Sisters Habitat for Humanity welcome. We'll pull the cows and sheep off the pasture and quit irrigating a couple of days ahead. Please don't plan to be on the road the day of the eclipse - roads will be jammed!
contact karaneswaner@yahoo.com (aka Eurekagirl1950)
Thank you for the thoughtful offer, although I'm already $500+ committed to a private park for a 5 day minimum in the Madras area. Confirms my belief in the good people on this forum.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #63

Trailer: 2012 19
Anyone camping in the southeast during the eclipse?

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I made reservations in Riverton Wy a couple months ago. About double $ for the Sunday night, but that is OK. The RV park is giving out 2 pair of eclipse glasses per trailer. There will be an eclipse in Austin, TX on April 8, 2024. Although in April one has about a 50-50 chance of cloudy weather if not rain.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #65

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyuill View Post
Anyone camping in the southeast during the eclipse?

Graham
Does TN count as the southeast? will be at Indian Boundry Campground a little south of Knoxville in the national forest.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
Just Say No To Partial Eclipse

We've seen 5 total eclipses all over the world. Partial eclipses don't cut it. The beauty of the corona at full eclipse is awesome. Some people cry I always get choked up. So try for total. Remember there is a lot of public land in the path. Don't get stuck trying to stay in a campground. We have a spot picked out for our new 19' and will arrive several days early and put out the awning and chairs (don't ask where). If you do drive the morning of, leave very early since the roads will be crowded and leave yourself a path to drive if clouds creep in. But you won't forget it if you see it!!
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #67

Trailer: 2012 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
We have a spot picked out for our new 19' and will arrive several days early and put out the awning and chairs (don't ask where).
What state are you planning to view from? The Southeast is much closer to us but I am concerned about cloud cover. Mid west looks much better.

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #68

Eclipse

Somewhere in Utah, Idaho could work also. It is pretty dry there in the summer. If you are father east you might be able to drive awhile to find clearer skies if sketchy. We were in China for our last eclipse and were watching the early phases and it clouded up and rained during the eclipse. We watched from a TV in the lobby of the hotel. The beer tasted the same... But we still count the minutes of totality for our lifetime total (yeah we're nuts). We didn't have a backup plan and people east of us a ways saw it.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #69

Eclipse Glasses and tips

By the way, you will need eclipse glasses for the early and post eclipse phases. You want to be able to see the moon biting out of the sun. We bought a number of them a few years ago (only use them once since they're a little flimsy) from www.rainbowsymphonystore.com but Amazon sells them also. Order now and avoid the rush. Have extras for folks that don't have them (trade for beer). You can use binocs during totality, but I find just watching with the naked eye during totality the best. Don't bother trying to take pictures, they don't turn out very well and you miss it with only 2 mins or so. Let the experts like Fred Espenak take multi-exposure pictures and buy from him: MrEclipse.com. We did put a movie camera pointing at the horizon with auto exposure turned off (important or it adjusts for the light) during 30 min before to 30 min after. You can see the darkness come and go sometimes with a sunset 360 degrees, then ask people for their opinions. Pretty cool.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #70
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm not going to bother to camp. I thought about it and then saw how nutz people were getting trying to find campsites. There's a good chance the weather will be sunny and dry west of the coast range in August, in Oregon. If it's hot inland, those at the beach may very well get fogged in. That's what happens when it's hot in the Willamette Valley. And why everyone heads to the beach to cool off!

Instead, I'll get up early and drive south to Salem, have breakfast then stand outside with my viewing tools. When it's over, I'll head home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I looked at the camping for it back when it was too early to make reservations where I was looking. I expect to be on Washington Island, Wisconsin about that time which is a great place to be, eclipse or no. I will just have to hear about it from you all.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
It feels like I've been planning for this eclipse for years. We'll be in the Grand Tetons and I keep saying that if we don't see it at least we'll be in a beautiful place, but I really really hope it doesn't cloud up.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #73

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Let me solve all of your solar eclipse reservation problems:

https://www.oregonsolarfest.com/
https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/e...utm_medium=bks
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #74

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
We got reservations there quite some time ago. Now to figure out which day we're arriving.

I was in Corvallis OR this past weekend and the campground at the fairgrounds still has some spots available during the eclipse. The full hook ups are booked, but they have some with water and power available. I don't know the price. The fairgrounds office was also selling eclipse glasses, so I snagged two.

Benton Oaks RV

Yeah, I know, might be cloudy in that part of the state, but something to keep in mind.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #75

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not going to bother to camp. I thought about it and then saw how nutz people were getting trying to find campsites. There's a good chance the weather will be sunny and dry west of the coast range in August, in Oregon. If it's hot inland, those at the beach may very well get fogged in. That's what happens when it's hot in the Willamette Valley. And why everyone heads to the beach to cool off!

Instead, I'll get up early and drive south to Salem, have breakfast then stand outside with my viewing tools. When it's over, I'll head home.
Better start early Donna (I know you'll be up). The OMSI website had this note posted: Travel time: 'The current estimate to travel from Portland to Salem is 2.5 hours. (Oregon is expected to see over 1 million visitors for the solar eclipse.)' We're headed down to the OMSI event with the grandkids, I think we'll start really early and take some chairs and books, just hang out until the event then maybe find someplace to poke around until the traffic clears.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Here's another way to see the eclipse in Central Oregon.

JohnDay Fossil Beds National Monument is searching for volunteers to help fromAugust 16th-22nd. We need assistance with a variety of tasks, including helpingto prepare parking and viewing areas for the event as well as directing trafficbefore and after the eclipse. We are searching for flexible, hard-workingpeople willing to do a wide variety of tasks, many of which will be performed outdoorsin hot summer weather.

Campsiteswill be provided for tents or small RVs.

Formore information or to get a volunteer application, contact us by phone at
541-987-2333 or e-mail joda_interpretation@nps.gov

Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Was anybody able to get a reservation in Oregon with the new release? I started clicking at 7:58am till 8:15 when I gave up. I was trying two parks . . . Unity and Farewell Bend. No joy.

I guess I'll be going out to see my sister who lives in NE Georgia, but I'm guessing it will be cloudy eclipse day. Such a pessimist!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #78

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post

https://www.oregonsolarfest.com/
https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/e...utm_medium=bks
Ok, maybe I was a bit too cryptic, but anyone wanting to see the eclipse who doesn't already have a site should seriously check these links out. I booked my site several weeks ago and they still have availability! Madrass is a farming community, so someone just set aside a HUGE chunk of farmland for the event and, as of today, it is still not full. They chose a farm directly in the middle of the path of totality. The center of the path of totally literally bisects the lot!

The best part is that Madrass is supposed to be one of the best places in the country to view the eclipse in terms of weather. There's only a 20% chance of clouds, which is either the lowest or one of the lowest probabilities along the eclipse path.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #79

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
Was anybody able to get a reservation in Oregon with the new release? I started clicking at 7:58am till 8:15 when I gave up. I was trying two parks . . . Unity and Farewell Bend. No joy.
This is why - lots of other folks trying as well. Same thing happened months ago.

1,000+ camp sites sell out in 90 minutes for solar eclipse | KOMO
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
For months I've felt like a travel agent, first getting RV Park and Cabin Reservations and then getting plane and rental car reservation for my kids. When Terry was in Hawaii for a solar eclipse in 1991 (I think it was '91) they ran out of rental cars, but that could be because it was an island. In any case, the rental fees for the cars were sky high. He couldn't get one and was forced to stay at the hotel where it was predicted he'd miss the eclipse. Turns out that he saw it and the folks that had cars and drove away missed it. You just never know. Anyway, now that logistics are sort of set, I can worry full time about whether or not we'll actually see it.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote