New 19 needs campgrounds to Winnipeg - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 (June)
New 19 needs campgrounds to Winnipeg

Our new Escape is ready in early June. We'd appreciate any tips on campgrounds along the #1 on route from Chilliwack to Winnipeg. Thanks in advance!

Lpv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Sorry Leanne cannot help you with campgrounds but wondered whether you planned to attend the MB Fiberglass and Vintage trailer rally at St. Malo in August. So far have two Escapes there, ours and Iowa Dave's and maybe others I don't know about.

Adrian

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Thanks Adrian, We have been there before with the 1974 Boler we just sold. Maybe see you there this year!
Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Until someone answers with personal recommendations:::

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks (plug in city --- there are other websites too, like the "campground report" link conveniently located to the right of this post). Yelp or trip advisor also have some listings

for a thread here that I found:
Campground recommendations: Alberta and Saskatchewan

Good luck and enjoy the Escape.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just to add to what Bruce mentioned as I have no experience pasted Saskatchewan. This is a website I use and it is pretty good for campsite research.
www.campscout.com

Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Very helpful! Thanks��
Old 05-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Are you definitely taking the Trans-Canada the whole way? There's nothing wrong with that, but there are choices:
  • You can take the Coquihalla (#5) from Hope to Kamloops instead of the Trans-Canada (#1) - that can be faster, but the long grades are not much fun with a trailer, and there is much less to see with fewer places to camp.
  • You can skip Kamloops entirely and head east on the Crowsnest (#3) at least to Keremeos and potentially all the way through B.C., not returning to the Trans-Canada until Medicine Hat AB.
  • You can start out on the Crowsnest and shift up to the Trans-Canada via the Okanagan (Highway 97 through Kelowna) or other routes (such as 95&93 through Radium Hot Springs) further east; these would still send you through Banff.

I'm not recommending other routes, but which route you take will determine what campgrounds are available. The other routes will typically be a bit longer and definitely slower, but you might want to use the trip as an opportunity to see and do more along the way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
We just drove the Trans Canada from Thunder Bay, Ontario to Jasper, Icefield Parkway, Revelstoke, and are now in Kelowna.
If you can take any other routes, I'd recommend something else. The big trucks get very impatient if you don't go well over the speed limit, and 110+ is a bit much with a trailer.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
We can recommend sites in Kelowna, Revelstoke, Jasper, Hinton, and perhaps others, if any of those mesh with your plans. As you can see, we weren't covering that much distance each day, but had several good spots.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
New 19 needs campgrounds to Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
The big trucks get very impatient if you don't go well over the speed limit, and 110+ is a bit much with a trailer.

The big trucks can just go ahead and get upset as far as I'm concerned. My safety and the safety of my other occupants is paramount.

I recall a jerk in an 18 wheeler several years ago who was tailgating me in Arkansas and eventually laying on his airhorn because he was "stuck" behind me at 60 mph in a 55 zone.

When he was finally able to pass me, he intentionally tried to run me off the road. I managed to brake and drove on the shoulder to avoid crashing.

A few miles later, there was a weigh station. I followed him into it. I then got out of the car, approached a State Trooper who was standing outside the office, produced my badge, and asked the trooper to take the driver into custody. He was convicted of reckless driving and 2nd Degree Assault, lost his CHL and his job.

The roads are to be shared - peacefully - not a place for reckless or dangerous behavior. When I was a Police Officer, I saw the tragic consequences of such behavior too many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk