Pickup day for escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

Trailer: New Escape 19 on order
Pickup day for escape 19

The big day is coming for my wife and I to pick up our new Escape 19. We are driving all the way from North Carolina and couldn't be more excited. We've begun thinking about what that pickup day will be like. We will need to get a lot of stuff out of our pickup truck and into the new escape and get some place to Camp so that we can begin to order things. My wife and I are beginning to worry a little bit about the day as being a little taxing for two senior citizens. It would be great if people who have had similar experiences could share how they did it and how things went where they went Etc. Thanks in advance.
renglish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm still trying to decide the best place to store what after ten years with our trailer. Just make sure you have a couple of camp chairs and beverages. Then take the time to discuss and change your mind, and change your mind again.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Hi, Robert. Lots of us spent a night or two at the KOA in Lynden WA. It's reasonably close to the rendezvous spot (Bob's Burgers, I think), and is nice enough.

We drove to Chilliwack from Texas and spent a couple of nights in motels along the way. (The rest were visiting family and friends.) Anyway, we weren't comfortable leaving a bunch of stuff overnight in our pickup bed (under cover of camper shell), so we packed as light as possible, using 2 large storage bins to facilitate moving stuff back and forth. Bulky things (like pillows) we left at home and bought new (in Bellingham) on the afternoon after we picked up the trailer. Expensive necessities (such as sheets) we did bring. Pretty sure I only brought one frying pan (I normally carry two), just a couple of towels, etc., and and we used paper plates, which we purchased as part of our afternoon provisioning.

Of course we also brought along stuff like leveling blocks and wheel chocks, but then ended up buying new ones from ETI.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We like to stay at Hidden Village RV Park on Guide Meridian Road halfway between a Safeway and Bellingham. It’s cheaper than the KOA and more convenient for stocking up on supplies. Just my 2 cents worth.
If you go south on I-5 there is a camping world in Burlington.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by renglish6 View Post
The big day is coming for my wife and I to pick up our new Escape 19. We are driving all the way from North Carolina and couldn't be more excited. We've begun thinking about what that pickup day will be like. We will need to get a lot of stuff out of our pickup truck and into the new escape and get some place to Camp so that we can begin to order things. My wife and I are beginning to worry a little bit about the day as being a little taxing for two senior citizens. It would be great if people who have had similar experiences could share how they did it and how things went where they went Etc. Thanks in advance.
It is so exciting and exhausting! We drove from Maine and were already tired from the long drive there. You'll learn a lot at the orientation but don't fret too much about retaining it all. The owners manuals make great reading after the fact as well as all the resources here on the forum for those things that you miss. We stayed at Bay View State park in Wa. for several days. The day of pick up we were just happy to get parked, make the bed and go to sleep! The next couple of days we spent familiarizing ourselves with the trailer and moving our belongings in to it. We did bring most things with us from home as I find shopping for things in an unfamiliar place more difficult. Just enjoy and take your time.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When we picked up our 19, we were staying next door at Best Western. With an Escape discount and pet friendly plus the breakfast included, it made being away more relaxing. I had judiciously packed the truck with labeled plastic storage containers, most of them were clear. On pickup day I returned to the parking lot around noon from Sumas. where we got the Escape at Bob's Burgers parking lot. It had been leveled earlier and the tanks were full of propane and water.
I requested a late checkout and we started unloading/reloading the trailer. Three hours later, most of the containers were empty, we paid our bill and headed back to the border.
We avoided Seattle traffic on I5 by getting off at Everett,Wa and taking US#2 east towards Mt. Baker and Snoqualmie Pass. We went through Wenatchee and hooked up with I90 East towards home. With our new home behind us, we stopped that night at a rest stop. Next morning we continued our journey to Wyoming where we were able to hook up and go to the store for provisions. Friday we continued on towards the Mississippi River Escape Rally meet where we stopped Saturday and Sunday to socialize with friends, new and old.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My wife and I started my retirement with the pick up trip to Chilliwackfrom Asheville. 6 days up, nine weeks back. Kept most driving days to 150 miles or less. First RV ever after 50+ days tent camping. Started out novices and got better every day. Stayed in various non commercial campgrounds thru the trip. Smile and learn as you go.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:

We're doing the exact same thing, from the same state, in a little while ! Amazing.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA as of June 28, 2018
Raleigh NC to ETI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
We're doing the exact same thing, from the same state, in a little while ! Amazing.

Going to be quite a few Escapes in North Carolina soon. We will be departing in out PU truck in another week and pick up our 5.0 TA on the 27th of June!! Mel & Ali Tucker
Mel Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Staying closer to Bellingham isn't a bad idea.

After we took delivery of the trailer (at Bob's Burgers) and checked into the KOA in Lynden, we left it and went to Bellingham for provisioning.

There is an old thread in these forums with recommended places to find what you need. (The thread is three years old, so might not be useful anymore, IDK.)

We hit a Fred Meyer's in B'ham and it was great: Sealy brand pillows, a new paring knife (with sheath to keep its blade and point sharp), the perfect small trash can for one of the kitchen wheel well cabinets... We had been to Fred Meyer's when visiting family in Idaho (different trip) so knew they'd be a good place to start.

We also had lunch at the Bellingham Bob's Burgers.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Congrats to all of u
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Get a spot to camp...go out for dinner...make the bed and have a great sleep. All you need to unpack the first day is some bedding and T.P. for the bathroom.
Enjoy

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Staying closer to Bellingham isn't a bad idea.

After we took delivery of the trailer (at Bob's Burgers) and checked into the KOA in Lynden, we left it and went to Bellingham for provisioning.

There is an old thread in these forums with recommended places to find what you need. (The thread is three years old, so might not be useful anymore, IDK.)

We hit a Fred Meyer's in B'ham and it was great: Sealy brand pillows, a new paring knife (with sheath to keep its blade and point sharp), the perfect small trash can for one of the kitchen wheel well cabinets... We had been to Fred Meyer's when visiting family in Idaho (different trip) so knew they'd be a good place to start.

We also had lunch at the Bellingham Bob's Burgers.

Here's the old thread with info and an attached list about Bellingham businesses (pick up the discussion at post #25 and 26). I have not done any updating, so some places (Costco for one I think) have moved.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...up-6289-2.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Hi,

We did a similar trip from Raleigh to Chilliwack 2 years ago.......wonderful, wonderful 3.5 weeks.

If you're novice campers like we were, and needed to order a bunch of new stuff just for the trailer, sleeping bags, outdoor chairs, outdoor table, rugs, cooking pots/pans, etc., what we found invaluable was a package delivery/holding service in Sumas.

So, we were able to order a ton of trailer only stuff, have it shipped to Sumas, and avoid carrying it x-country, and just pick it up after we got the trailer, and no order/delivery time lag.......all we needed to camp was there waiting for us.

There are probably other places you can use, but we used Package Express in Sumas, WA. :

https://www.packageexpress.com/

Created an account, and had all our newly ordered stuff delivered there. It worked as advertised, no packages lost, charges for the service as advertised.

Hope you have fun, I'm sure you will.

Let me know if you're interested in the routes and insights, and I'll see what I can recall.

But logistically, that package holding service was definitely something I'd do again, and sounds like something you may be able to use based on your post.

Thanks.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I picked up my 17A on 5/17 and used Don and Teresa's list. I originally intended to stay at KOA Lynden one night but I was exhausted and overwhelmed from anticipation and paying attention at orientation. I was on my way to Osoyoos and had planned to camp at various spots along the way, but neglected to realize that it was Victoria Day long weekend and chances of a place night-to-night were slim.

So I stayed at KOA for 5 nights; the owners are very nice and the staff is well trained and enthusiastically helpful. It was a ways (20-25 min) to most of those stores but that was fine with me.

A woman from Florida had picked up her Escape a few days before me and she was there when I arrived at KOA. She had brought her cat which had gotten out. The owners helped her put up posters and promised to adopt her cat if it was found after she had returned home from the rally. As I said, really nice people.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
We drove from Kentucky in early March this year to pick up ours. The orientation and the exchange at the border went very smoothly. We drove to Grayland State Park in WA. We spent 3 days there getting acclimated to the new digs. We packed relatively lightly; limited cookware and dishes, bedding, towels, etc. We have a pick-up with a shell and packed everything in tubs to make moving in easier.
Wetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #17

I wonder if the cat was ever found?
Old 06-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
So here's an update on my cat, Dexter. He was found after 10 days by three adorable boys who were paddling on the KOA pond and spotted him on the shore. They recognized him from the posters. The folks at KOA were amazing. Not only did they post flyers, but they kept him until I got there, fed him and spoiled him. I got the call Saturday night right after the Escape rally dinner so had to leave early the next morning for the 9 hour roundtrip to Lynden.
Unfortunately, Dexter again escaped four days ago as I arrived in Florida. He is still missing but I am hoping he will use up one more of his 8 lives left.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #19

Let's hope it does not try to return to Lynden, is the cat's name Houdini?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Maria, good news and bad news all at the same time. Hope your Houdini finds his way home again! I wondered when your rig was gone from Osoyoos earlier than I expected. Those lynden Koa people are great.