Scenic vs trailer towing - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Scenic vs trailer towing

After receiving my new 2019 "large print" edition of the Rand McNally USA atlas and comparing mapquest and other on line to actual road maps I notice some routes are designated "scenic". As an ex-Harley rider, scenic to me then is totally different than scenic to me now towing a trailer. The Tail of the Dragon in NC is an example as is Beartooth Highway in Wy.These roads are meant to be driven by motorcycle or car, but not towing a 2 ton trailer.
Leaving Osoyoos, we always went down to US#2 and to I90 East. The map shows a scenic Wa#20 East to Kettle Falls and then #395 south to I90 in Spokane,Wa.
Has anyone driven this route while towing, it is a scenic route designation but is/are the roads trailerable.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
My first reaction was, if it's a state or federal highway, it should be fine for trailering. But then I remembered the Going-to-the-Sun Hwy in Glacier, and CO Hwy 82 over Independence Pass! Although they are well marked with warnings once one arrives there, it's definitely better to know ahead of time.

Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
I did the 395 part, it was fine all the way up to Canada. Can't comment on 20. There was a detour on a gravel road somewhere around Kettle Falls but I think it was after 20, can't recall, and that was over a year ago. Also, I was towing a 15, total length 32 feet.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
After receiving my new 2019 "large print" edition of the Rand McNally USA atlas and comparing mapquest and other on line to actual road maps I notice some routes are designated "scenic". As an ex-Harley rider, scenic to me then is totally different than scenic to me now towing a trailer. The Tail of the Dragon in NC is an example as is Beartooth Highway in Wy.These roads are meant to be driven by motorcycle or car, but not towing a 2 ton trailer.
Leaving Osoyoos, we always went down to US#2 and to I90 East. The map shows a scenic Wa#20 East to Kettle Falls and then #395 south to I90 in Spokane,Wa.
Has anyone driven this route while towing, it is a scenic route designation but is/are the roads trailerable.

I cannot comment on this route but I can comment on an alternative. The Crow's Nest Highway (Hwy 3) across BC is nice. I was apprehensive about any highway called Crow's Nest but found that it was not only scenic but very nice for towing our 19. It is well paved and wide enough for easy towing. The only challenges are the first 10km from Osoyoos going east - a slow twisty climb out of the valley - and the pass between Salmo and Creston - it is a high pass but the road is nice, no crazy hairpins and very scenic. Our 19 and my truck handled it with no problem. There are crossings into WA along the way and into Idaho at Creston. Overall a scenic route without heavy traffic (at least on my two trips).
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Casita
I joined so I could chime in on this. I have not been down 395 in eons so won't mention it. However, I do drive over 20 from Tonasket to Kettle Falls and love the stretch called Sherman Pass. I am usually pulling a trailer too.

The road out of Tonasket doesn't have much of a shoulder, but there isn't much traffic on it either. It has some slow curvy spots. The hill east just leaving Tonasket is about as steep as it gets. You might want to keep an eye out for bike riders as it is a designated bike route yet has no shoulders. You can leave the highway and go to Bonaparte Lake, where there is a Forest Service campground and a private resort with rv spots both next to each other. The burgers at the resort are great.

You go over Wauconda summit and then down to the town of Republic, which has a good brewery downtown. If you ride bikes, there is a rails to trail bike system nearby. You can camp at the fairgrounds or a bit farther away at Curlew Lake SP, which is off the route a few miles.

Sherman Pass--HWY 20 is great. It has shoulders and lots of pullouts in case there is any traffic behind you. Once again, there isn't much traffic on this route. There are trails going off it and a fire information pullout near the summit. My pickup slows down going up the grade on the west side of the pass. Sherman Pass is pretty high for a Washington pass. It has more rugged country to look at than going over the Wauconda pass.

Kettle Falls has a few stores, Colville is nearby and has everything. I like the NPS run campgrounds that are all along the Columbia. No hookups, but cheap and some are scenicish.

395? I'll have to check that one out. I have pulled my trailer down the Columbia and hit hwy 2 at Wilbur? Or was it Davenport? It's an OK trip also and the Fort Spokane fort is worth stopping and exploring if you are a history buff.
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Welcome Pat to our little fg world.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
there's another Sherman Pass, heh, this one is a very remote road thats the southmost pass over the Sierra Nevada, it goes from the Kern River Canyon to 9 Mile Canyon that dumps you out on US395 somewhere south of Lone Pine, CA.. its other designation is Forest Route 22S05. For some reason right now I can not convince Google Maps to route over it.

its paved the whole way but very rough. closed all winter, as the pass is nearly 9000'. Its quite scenic, although a good stretch on the western side was burned over in a forest fire 20 years ago or so. I drove over it in an econoline hauling a tent trailer, so a sane sized fiberglass shouldn't be any problem
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie!)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
there's another Sherman Pass, heh, this one is a very remote road thats the southmost pass over the Sierra Nevada, it goes from the Kern River Canyon to 9 Mile Canyon that dumps you out on US395 somewhere south of Lone Pine, CA.. its other designation is Forest Route 22S05. For some reason right now I can not convince Google Maps to route over it.

its paved the whole way but very rough. closed all winter, as the pass is nearly 9000'. Its quite scenic, although a good stretch on the western side was burned over in a forest fire 20 years ago or so. I drove over it in an econoline hauling a tent trailer, so a sane sized fiberglass shouldn't be any problem
Hmmm, a good bit of the Warshington Sherman Pass was burned over in the 1990s. That is why there is a pit stop near the top--a board with the story on it is there and an overlook. Our Sherman Pass is open all year, except when forced to close for a bit if conditions are terrible. Here is the webcam for Sherman Pass.WSDOT - Sherman Pass Road and Weather Conditions
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Gotta love them scenic trails

If you find yourself in scenic Utah and decide to trek that camper off the path, to places away from premier scenic visiting spots like Moab, Arches, etc., you might be drawn to someplace like The Natural Arches National Monument, west of The Bears Ears, off US95. Itís good. The ranger will talk your ears off about the stars and how dark it is there at night.

Then, say youíre off to uncover new, less popular scenic marvels. A goal might be Monument Valley, or Lake Powel, etc. But, you and your trailer could also get lost, and this is barely inhabited, really-really wide open, dusty, scrub country, so keep an eye on your gas tank. GPS? Sometimes Garmin lies...could make you wonder why you feel youíre flying in an endless cloud bank upside down and canít believe what your instrument panel is telling you. That would be a flag.

So here youíre on US 261 going south and you come to a turn-off for Muley Point. Take it. The view from the cliffs there blows you away. Back on the road you look forward to seeing The Valley of the Gods (30 miles of dusty road and gullies and prominent red rock) or gassing up at Mexican Hat, or stopping at Goosenecks State Park. Nothing like it! But your gas tank tells you you have an estimated 92 miles of drive time left, and Garmin is claiming the nearest gas station is a hundred and twenty one miles away, and thereís no gas station at Medicine Hat anyway. What now?

Oh, wait. Another obstacle appears. Itís the Moki Dugway. This is an amazing, scenic drive down off the edge of the mesa with sheer red rock on one side and straight drops on the other, with blind switchbacks and if you see a vehicle on it coming toward you be prepared for yet another increase to the pucker factor. Scenic? Absolutely, but not for the faint of heart.

You make it down to the bottom. Thatís when you notice another sign you ignored, warning big trailers not to go here. You need gas, but where? Fortunately this is all Navajo country. You flag down an elderly couple in their pick-up and ask where in this world the nearest station is. Hello, Dino!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg startrails3.jpg (111.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg MuleyPt13.jpg (128.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ValyGods.jpg (113.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Mookd1.jpg (136.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Climbed Bearstooth Pass with our 90's Aerolite and our 2007 Casita (also have gone up on our recumbent bikes three times). Our new 5.0TA trails like a dream and will go up Bearstooth again if open next spring. We always take Bearstooth into Yellowstone if the pass is open.

Enjoy,

Perry