South East Utah planning - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2023, 10:00 PM   #61

Trailer: 2012 E19
Bryce Canyon has (or had?) organized group horseback rides from the top, walking the trail to the bottom and then back. Next time I go there I want to take a half-day ride. Wish I'd done that when I was there, about 13-14 years ago.

If you go to the Grand Canyon south rim, between there and Monument Valley you might like to visit the Navajo National Monument. There's a quiet (first-come, FREE) CG that can take small trailers like ours, and they have walks into the valley to see the native ruins.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:34 AM   #62

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Bryce Canyon has (or had?) organized group horseback rides from the top, walking the trail to the bottom and then back. Next time I go there I want to take a half-day ride. Wish I'd done that when I was there, about 13-14 years ago.

If you go to the Grand Canyon south rim, between there and Monument Valley you might like to visit the Navajo National Monument. There's a quiet (first-come, FREE) CG that can take small trailers like ours, and they have walks into the valley to see the native ruins.
This sounds and looks excellent, Mike. I'd love to explore old ruins like that. Thanks for the link.

I have a general question about trailer size: at this park the campground limits RV size to 28'. How does that work? Our 5.0TA is only around 21' in length by itself but when hitched to the truck is somewhere around 35'.
We haven't come across a situation where our length really matters. If we ever make reservations I just chose the length of the trailer alone. We've always been able to find a site where we fit.
Does anyone know if length of the RV refers to the whole unit or the unhooked trailer alone?
Old 12-29-2023, 08:10 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have found a small primitive campground on the north side of Monument Valley that's out of the way and very quiet - Sleeping Bear Campground, Google maps knows about it.
That's what I'm talking about! Very beautiful.

A photo of your truck and trailer is one of the first ones on Google for this location.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #64

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post

I have a general question about trailer size: at this park the campground limits RV size to 28'. How does that work? Our 5.0TA is only around 21' in length by itself but when hitched to the truck is somewhere around 35'.
We haven't come across a situation where our length really matters. If we ever make reservations I just chose the length of the trailer alone. We've always been able to find a site where we fit.
Does anyone know if length of the RV refers to the whole unit or the unhooked trailer alone?
There doesn't seem to be much standardization in the way campgrounds prescribe length limits. In looking at the website for Navajo NM it does seem clear that they mean a 28 foot total length restriction. However, if you look at the campground on Google satellite view you can see that some sites would clearly accommodate your rig, either by being long enough or by being wide enough to park side by side - you'll see one fairly long bumper pull trailer and truck in one site on the satellite view.

Knowing this, I would say you could go there and see if you can find an open site you can fit into, they aren't going to have someone there with a tape measure checking. It is an older, smaller campground and they are probably trying to discourage large motorhomes from trying to go there. Since they don't take reservations there's no way to no in advance about any particular campsite size. Campgrounds that are on the reservations system almost always show the length and width of each campsite so you know that what you are reserving will fit your rig.

There's nothing to lose by going there and trying to find a spot - other trailers bigger than yours no doubt camp there. Since the sites are all first-come there's no guarantee of getting one in any case, so good to have a "Plan B" for someplace else to go if this one doesn't work out.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:01 PM   #65

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
This sounds and looks excellent, Mike. I'd love to explore old ruins like that. Thanks for the link.

We stayed at Navaho National Monument in 2019 with our previous rig a 22’ fifth wheel. We had no problems getting a site but if I recall in most if not all sites you will have to disconnect. Our guide was a Navaho and the tour was fascinating.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 01:44 PM   #66

Quote:
There's nothing to lose by going there and trying to find a spot - other trailers bigger than yours no doubt camp there. Since the sites are all first-come there's no guarantee of getting one in any case, so good to have a "Plan B" for someplace else to go if this one doesn't work out.
That's what we'd do, just go and see at this kind of place. I was really asking in more general terms, for campgrounds in general.

I may sound like a real newb asking about this after owning the trailer for 9 years but we seldom make advance reservations anywhere. Show up and see is usually the way we roll. The more out-of-the-way or lesser used places are the ones we aim for anyway. On the odd occasion when we've known where we'll end up at the end of the day we will go to the state park, Core of Engineers, etc. reservation sites and make a reservation. Likewise if we have a particular destination in mind.

I realize a lot of ppl wouldn't be comfortable travelling that way, but it works for us.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:02 PM   #67

Quote:
I may sound like a real newb asking about this after owning the trailer for 9 years but we seldom make advance reservations anywhere.
Not at all! You sound just like me. Reservations? We don't need no stinking reservations... Well, most of the time.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:37 AM   #68

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
I followed that route through Colorado and would do it again - it's beautiful. Meeker Colorado is on your route at about 6,400 ft. Looks like there should be very little snow at all in May.

https://weatherspark.com/m/145604/5/...-United-States

There's excellent hiking around Trappers Lake Campground west of Meeker.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:42 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
I followed that route through Colorado and would do it again - it's beautiful. Meeker Colorado is on your route at about 6,400 ft. Looks like there should be very little snow at all in May.

https://weatherspark.com/m/145604/5/...-United-States

That's great to hear, Rich.
Thanks for the tip on the campground, too.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:51 AM   #70

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
There's excellent fishing around Trappers Lake also. (You didn't hear that from me.)

And you absolutely didn't hear from me that you ought to be able to hook one of these nice cutts on every cast out of Little Trappers L.
Attached Thumbnails
T-Lake little t nice cutt copy.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #71

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
You can do the Moki Dugway road southbound to Mexican Hat, but not having the trailer on the truck would be a plus. We enjoy the area around Bluff Utah and into Comb RIdge as well as about anywhere along the San Juan river.

We will also be out there in May.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 11:26 AM   #72

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We drove the Moki Dugway on our way from Texas to Chilliwack, following Google's suggested route without realizing what we were getting into. We were very happy we didn't have our trailer with us. It's actually not as scary as it looks, was designed to accommodate 18 wheelers...barely. But it can be a bit imposing if you're not used to roads like that.

https://bluffutah.org/moki-dugway-muley-point/

Muley Point is definitely a scenic spot worth checking out. You can drive up there via the Moki Dugway if you're staying in that area, like Valley of the Gods. But you don't have to drive the Moki Dugway, the road to Muley Point can also be accessed from the north off Highway 95 near Natural Bridges NM.

You don't have to get right on the edge to appreciate the view at Muley Point....some people are just more adventurous than others
Attached Thumbnails
20190923_120337.jpg   20190923_122135.jpg  
Old 12-30-2023, 12:17 PM   #73

Trailer: 2019 E19
We've done the Moki Dugway multiple times, both up and down, with trailer and without. My best advice would be to NEVER take the dugway if there's been any rain in the last week. Try to plan your ascent or descent during daylight hours, either early morning or late afternoon. There are only a couple of spots where two trailers couldn't pass each other. Go slow at the blind corners, because there's no telling what's coming toward you. Pulling a trailer up the dugway will heat your transmission, because of the slow rate of travel while climbing. If you fear heights, go the long way around. Take pictures, because most people won't believe you without evidence.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:59 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
We've done the Moki Dugway multiple times, both up and down, with trailer and without. My best advice would be to NEVER take the dugway if there's been any rain in the last week. Try to plan your ascent or descent during daylight hours, either early morning or late afternoon. There are only a couple of spots where two trailers couldn't pass each other. Go slow at the blind corners, because there's no telling what's coming toward you. Pulling a trailer up the dugway will heat your transmission, because of the slow rate of travel while climbing. If you fear heights, go the long way around. Take pictures, because most people won't believe you without evidence.
As much as I'd be happy driving the Moki Dugway, my wife would not. She and tricky heights don't get along. We have plenty of other places to see where she will be comfortable.

Last summer I was hoping to drive Harts Pass in Washington (after dropping the trailer at a campground, of course) but this is as close as we got:

But thanks for the input.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:02 PM   #75

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Here is to your brave wife.

My wife and I could N E V E R get that close to the edge. She would be horrified at 30 feet from the edge and I'd be crawling on the ground to about 10 feet away.

She does not like high places at all and I've tried but failed getting over my fear of heights.

Well Done!
Attached Thumbnails
20190923_122135.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:14 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Here is to your brave wife.

My wife and I could N E V E R get that close to the edge. She would be horrified at 30 feet from the edge and I'd be crawling on the ground to about 10 feet away.

She does not like high places at all and I've tried but failed getting over my fear of heights.

Well Done!
Ditto. Amazing photos, but I'd never get up there. Just driving down Rt 19 in the Georgia North Woods scared the pants off me.

We're going out to the SW on the train this spring, and renting a car to see some of the sights. Won't even have our Escape, but I'd like to have a list of all the scary roads beforehand, so I can avoid them.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:36 PM   #77

Quote:
You don't have to get right on the edge to appreciate the view at Muley Point....some people are just more adventurous than others
I notice she wasn't jumping up and down on that rock....
Old 12-30-2023, 08:38 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
..., but I'd like to have a list of all the scary roads beforehand, so I can avoid them.
Drifting off topic, I know. But I couldn't resist...

Gunnsion Gorge National Park says: "The East Portal Road is managed by the Bureau of Reclamation. The road is paved and two-way, but windy and steep. Vehicles over 22 feet are prohibited on the East Portal Road. In a few places, the road is a 16% grade; vehicles should be in low gear on the road to avoid burning out the brakes."

Steepest paved road in Colorado? Feels like it... But oh, that fishing at the bottom...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:47 AM   #79
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
If you're staying at Kodachrome Basin SP, I highly recommend a all day trip down Cottonwood Canyonvin the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, then loop around the highway back, stopping in Kanab at the Rocking V Cafe for dinner...https://rockingvcafe.com/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 09:48 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
If you're staying at Kodachrome Basin SP, I highly recommend a all day trip down Cottonwood Canyonvin the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, then loop around the highway back, stopping in Kanab at the Rocking V Cafe for dinner...https://rockingvcafe.com/
Excellent, thanks.