Surviving the Texas Ice Age - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Surviving the Texas Ice Age

We were visiting friends in the hill country of Texas, about 10 miles north of Fredericksburg, TX. We intended to spend one night but got caught in a major ice storm the night of Wednesday, February 10. The ice continued into Thursday and covered everything with a half inch of inch of glare ice making travel impossible and pulling down power lines and tree limbs. Standing outside you could hear limbs cracking down all over the area. It was a real mess.

Our friends lost power and water in their cabin for over two weeks. The cold weather destroyed their plumbing. Since their power was being used to power our Escape we were stuck with battery and propane for heat. Since we could not travel due to ice on the roads, the four of us survived in our Escape 21 for 4 nights and 5 days. We had food and libations and had survived playing games and eating. We had extra propane and had to run our tow vehicle periodically to recharge the batteries that ran the furnace.

Condensation was a major issue while we hunkered down in the cold. We have the insulated framed windows and there was significant dripping from the windows. The Maxxfan had condensation on the circuit board and started beeping one night. I had to cut the power wires to stop it. Also, the sail switch failed several times but not due to lint. The furnace would start and then stop. I took the switch out several times, but never found anything wrong. Upon replacement, the furnace worked for another day or two.

Eventually, we ran out of water in our tank and used bottled water. In addition, our black tank was almost full so a new plan was needed. It snowed on Sunday, 2/14, covering the ice and providing a bit more traction. So, we decided to head out in our friends 4x4 pickup leaving the Escape behind. Up to that point the warm trailer and extra bottom insulation seemed to keep all plumbing intact and operating. I turned off everything except the furnace and set it to 60 degrees hoping to keep the trailer warm enough to avoid damage. I wasn’t sure how long the batteries would last, but I didn’t know what else to do.

We made it to Frederickburg and ended up staying in a motel for 5 nights while our trailer was stuck in the hill country with freezing weather. There were 6 straight days of below freezing temperatures with lows in the single digits. We figured there would be significant damage from freezing.

Finally, on Saturday, 2/20, after a couple days of warming, we were able to pull the trailer and get on the road. The trailer furnace had stopped at some time due to low battery so there was concern the batteries were damaged as well. We did not check things out until things thawed out and we got to a campground with full hookups so we could dump, add water, etc.

At the campground I added water to the fresh tank, no leaks, the valve worked. I turned on the pump and it ran and pressurized and stopped and stayed that way. If I had any leaks, there would have been periodic running to maintain pressure. I checked all visible plumbing and saw no leaks. I was able to dump the black and gray and didn’t see any leaks. The valves seemed okay. There was no leakage in the black pipes under the bed. The batteries seemed to recharge and hold their charge. We ran the kitchen and bath sink and did not see any leakage underneath from the drain.

However, a day or two later my wife took a shower and I noticed water dripping from a drain hole near the door (see picture). If the leak was in the drain I didn’t see it earlier. Possibly, the foam layer under the trailer channeled the water to the trailer, but because the shower trap is under the fiberglass, I don’t see how the water could get to his location. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Anyway, we survived and I believe our trailer survived without too many issues. We continued our trip to Padre Island and then New Orleans and then back to Missouri. What an adventure.

Pictures: Showing the ice and tree damage. Major ice inside on a window from freezing condensation. (I would recommend the frameless windows.) The drain hole I saw water after a shower.
Attached Thumbnails
20210214_174635a.jpg   20210211_154917a.jpg   20210214_233324a.jpg   draina.jpg  
Old 03-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Wow, what an amazing story! We rode out the freeze at our home in Austin so I know just how bad it was, I am astounded that your trailer survived being literally frozen solid with little or no damage. And it provided a lifeboat for you and your friends.

You should send this story and photos to ETI, I know they would love to hear about your experience. Technically not a four season trailer, but this sure counts as winter!
Old 03-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great to hear you weathered the freeze without too many problems. We were relatively unscathed, except for losing power for 3 days, and having virtually all of the plants in our landscaping killed. We had water the entire time but many in our area did not. Lots of folks with well water had their pumps freeze and break, and some are still without running water to this day, scrambling to have their wells repaired. It was a once in a lifetime event, for this part of the country anyway, and I'm hoping I never see anything like it again. For the folks up north that are shaking their head at all this, remember that the day it was 6F at our house, the normal avg for that date was 68F.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Wow Bob you've certainly had some interesting times with your Escapes, first the 19 broken window then write off and now camping in frigid Tx thinking you were heading south for a winter break. Anyway good to hear the 21 survived without issues. Hope maybe we'll see you at the Miss. rally if the border ever opens.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yikes!

You'd mentioned this experience in other correspondence we've had, but not the details. Yikes, again. Glad you made it thru without major frostbite, or damage.

Could your water leakage be melting of condensation? Four people for days inside produces a lot of water vapor.

The weak point in trailers for me has been the toilet valve. Cracked one of those in my Casita returning to Wisconsin from Florida, and unable to completely re-winterize.

We also enjoyed the other Texas big freeze, in 2011. Had to hole up in a Motel 6 in San Marcos for days until the worst was over. Not much snow or ice, but plenty of cold and electrical supply rolling black-outs, and we were on a tent camping excursion. Plumbing supplies were in demand then too.

I may be a nattering nabob of negativism, but looking about, all manner of historical records, weather and climate have gone awry.

New normal? Seems there is no normal. And the costs of the national weather related damage have skyrocketed.

Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Plan for anything. Yeah, right.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
Sorry that your trailer was turned into an Escape-sicle!
Old 03-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
You have quite a story. Really appreciate that you took the time to tell it.

Regarding the water leaking from the drain hole between the tire and the entry step, we had water leaking from the drain hole in the same location in our first gen 19, and while we hadn't encountered any freezing weather, the source of the leak turned out to be a plumbing fitting behind the sink. A real bugger to reach but a pretty easy fix.

After that hard freeze your trailer went through, your leak could be almost anywhere. I'm afraid you are just going to have to systematically look everywhere with the system under pressure to find it. Let us know where it was when you finally locate the leak. Inquisitive minds like to know these things, but for no good reason I can think of...
Old 03-13-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe that drain hole is also for any condensation that may accumulate inside. I would not be concerned unless the amount of discharge is a lot and continues. Right now as the sun warms the Escape in the yard, there is a couple of drops, but it stops after awhile.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I read your story with a sense of trepidation, deja vu, and a bit of luck. We were in Lockhart State Park on February 9 and 10 just beginning a two week trip through the Texas Hill Country. Given the forecast we cut the trip short and headed home to Houston on the 11th. We had snow and sleet on the drive but as we got closer to the coast things warmed a bit.

I now know what would have happened to us if we “soldiered on” with our original plans.

I happy for you in coming through the storm relatively unscathed.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post

I happy for you in coming through the storm relatively unscathed.
Me too!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Wow your are making memory's! It amazing you do not have more plumbing damage . Hopefully the dripping from the drain hole is just some trapped condensation finding its way out. Behind the shower walls is a place where condensation builds . This may have froze and then the heat from the shower defrosted the ice. of course If this keeps happening every time the shower is used you have a problem that will require more investigation .
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Curious

I searched the web and came up with a bit less than 1 litre, about (1 quart) of water loss per day, per person, through breathing and perspiration . So every day you were cooped up with the Texas weather, a bit less than a gallon of water vapor was added to your Escape cocoon. Multiply that by your length of stay and I get a bucket load of water....vapor....was produced, until it cools and condenses .

Just speculation on my part, but it appears plausible that that was your water drainage issue. Or...something froze and cracked.

As to your furnace and batteries, my experience with lead acid batteries is 1 deep discharge hurts them but doesn't kill them. They're never the same afterwards, and should be monitored , but they'll work for awhile.
Your experiences may vary.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post

Regarding the water leaking from the drain hole between the tire and the entry step, we had water leaking from the drain hole in the same location in our first gen 19, and while we hadn't encountered any freezing weather, the source of the leak turned out to be a plumbing fitting behind the sink. A real bugger to reach but a pretty easy fix.

After that hard freeze your trailer went through, your leak could be almost anywhere. I'm afraid you are just going to have to systematically look everywhere with the system under pressure to find it. Let us know where it was when you finally locate the leak. Inquisitive minds like to know these things, but for no good reason I can think of...
If I had a plumbing leak like you had wouldn't the pump periodically run to keep pressure? That did not happen. I purposely used the pump and not city water to give me the audible clue if I had a leak.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #14

The water from the drain hole could very well be condensation as I believe the water supply is sound. I was afraid the shower drain trap froze, cracked, and now leaks. However, mine is all covered with the foam insulation so it is hard to examine. Dustin at ETI sent a picture of an non-insulated 21C. You notice that the floor of the trailer is higher than the outer edges (where the propane tap is mounted) that contains the drain hole. So, it seems a leaking drain trap could not get to the hole.

I will definitely need to monitor this.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower drain 21'Ca.jpg  
Old 03-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Incredible story. Seems about right -- though for sure not for Texas.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
The water from the drain hole could very well be condensation as I believe the water supply is sound. I was afraid the shower drain trap froze, cracked, and now leaks. However, mine is all covered with the foam insulation so it is hard to examine. Dustin at ETI sent a picture of an non-insulated 21C. You notice that the floor of the trailer is higher than the outer edges (where the propane tap is mounted) that contains the drain hole. So, it seems a leaking drain trap could not get to the hole.

I will definitely need to monitor this.
The outside shower and toilet valve can be damaged very easy from freezing. I would say you very lucky on that issue . you should buy a lottery ticket. I do some cold weather camping and on cold nights I dump some RV antifreeze in The traps just is case.windshield wash could be used in a pitch.From what I understand Texas had a huge shortage of RV antifreeze during the storm. I have the foam also and I think If the trap cracked you may never know it with the foam. That picture really show the lack of support in the grey water drain. It is not surprising that there having issues with the pipe breaking off at the grey tank.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Texas Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
We were visiting friends in the hill country of Texas, about 10 miles north of Fredericksburg, TX.
We can sure relate, as we are just east of Fredericksburg in the Hill Country. Thanks for sharing your story, and we appreciate your pictures.

Our Escape was in our pole barn, plugged in. We used most of a 30 lb propane tank heating when we lost power. We also used a ceramic electric space heater and a Dyson fan/heater, when shore power allowed. Luckily, we only experienced rolling blackouts, with 3-4 hours powered, and 60-90 minutes off.

Escape plumbing seems OK, but we need to check it out fully. PEX is pretty freeze resilient. The trailer heating and insulated bottom seem to have saved us many problems.

Our house did not fare as well. We had several broken copper water pipes, and we are working with plumbers and our insurance.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Our house did not fare as well. We had several broken copper water pipes, and we are working with plumbers and our insurance.

73/gus
Sorry to hear of your plumbing problems Gus. We are just a bit east of you, north side of Canyon Lake.

Our home's plumbing is mostly PEX, which in this case turned out to be a blessing. Not a single busted pipe.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Good to hear from folks who made it through with their trailers largely undamaged. Although not true 4 season trailers, Escapes seem to be pretty tough! We, too, got stuck in the TX storm, although south of the worst conditions (Del Rio area). Roads were closed due to ice & snow, so we spent 3 days/nights with lows in the teens & highs around freezing. Did my best to wrap the outside shower plumbing and the toilet shut-off valve. We have the foam insulation but no heat pads. Used the furnace when the power went out a few times, but mostly we kept the trailer interior at 60-65 using a small electric space heater. Was worried we'd have broken plumbing, but our 2020 5.0 came through with flying colors!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210218_123114540.jpg  
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Good to hear from folks who made it through with their trailers largely undamaged. Although not true 4 season trailers, Escapes seem to be pretty tough! We, too, got stuck in the TX storm, although south of the worst conditions (Del Rio area). Roads were closed due to ice & snow, so we spent 3 days/nights with lows in the teens & highs around freezing. Did my best to wrap the outside shower plumbing and the toilet shut-off valve. We have the foam insulation but no heat pads. Used the furnace when the power went out a few times, but mostly we kept the trailer interior at 60-65 using a small electric space heater. Was worried we'd have broken plumbing, but our 2020 5.0 came through with flying colors!

Glad you mad it with no damage. I been thinking of adding shut off valves to the outside shower. It seems to susceptible to freezing .