Trip Report - CTX to Chilliwack and back - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way
Trip Report - CTX to Chilliwack and back

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick summary of our experience picking up our "Classic" 5.0 TA and bringing it back to Central Texas via Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Overall, it was an excellent 2 weeks and I think we're going to be happy with our Escape for years to come.

Tow Rig - 2015 Ford F150, Extended cab, 2.7 Ecoboost, 36 gal tank, 3.73 differential, 6.5' bed. This truck and config makes a great tow vehicle for the 5.0! I never lacked for power up and down 6% grades and in 35 mph gusts. My gas mileage to Chilliwack (sans trailer) was 23.4 mpg, and on the return (combo of hitched and unhitched), we got about 15.1 mpg. I don't have tow mirrors and didn't want for them. Ford has done a good job integrating tow and navigation functions and driving the truck simply wasn't the "work" I've been used to in the past when hitched.

Trailer - I purposefully designed our 5.0 to be self-sufficient, with solar and 12V (and not an inverter, microwave, etc). After the first night at the Lynden KOA, we spent a week and a half without any hookups and the trailer performed perfectly and w/o compromise. We had access to dump stations in all the parks, so I made sure to keep the grey/black tanks empty and the fresh tank full before transitioning to the next location. The extra insulation above and below earned its pay as we hit temps in the high 80s and lows of 26 and 18 without any discomfort.

On the downside, one major ding on the ETI guys is that the table is dimensionally too large to sit on the rails as intended, and since it slides side to side, it tends to sit on the rail on one side and the bench lip on the other. It seems like this would have been obvious in the construction of the table top, the QA process, AND when they mounted our marine pedestal. I'm really not sure how to address this yet, but I imagine I'll either need to trim down the table top and re-edge it, or remove the oak veneer on both sides of the bench to get it to set on the rails properly. A trip back to Chilliwack for resolution isn't in my future...

Here are some specific comments about features and additions:

BAK Revolver x2 Tonneau - love this thing. It's not supposed to be waterproof, but kept everything dry and protected despite 2 really rough hail storms and some driving rain.

Anderson Ultimate Hitch - Our rail-mount version worked well. I never removed it and it fit under the tonneau when not in use. I didn't have the extra chains and was never questioned.

Mr Heater Buddy - long story short, we didn't have Escape install the standard heater/blower, but instead are going to install a Dickinson P9000 fireplace. In lieu of a heater, we temporarily used this small propane heater on the trip home and it got actually too hot after a short while. So, 5 stars for performance, but it used up a 1 lb propane cylinder in approx 6 hrs.

Oxygenics shower head - the wife likes her showers, and expects me to reciprocate, so we used the Oxygenics shower head every night. We kept our bathing short and sweet and never ran out of hot water, or fresh water, when in use off-grid for a couple of nights before refilling the fresh tank.

Refrigerator - the standard Dometic fridge performed well in moderate and cool temps. I'll be interested in testing it in Texas 100 degree weather. I tried it on AC, battery and propane. All worked well, but it really chews up battery capacity even on good solar days.

Pot Set - I mention this item because I think this forum gets really wrapped around the axle on specific products and features; this isn't bad necessarily, just the results of a bunch of opinionated people discussing their passions. Anywho, the Magna nested pots get all kinds of rave reviews here, which are probably justified. However, I just couldn't swallow $150-240 for cookware, so I went with a comparable set of Stansport nested pots for $50 and was completely pleased with their quality and performance. I got an extra handle with pliers grip, which was helpful.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for educating me and helping to make this Escape our lifelong "tiny home away from home"!

Regards,

David
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great write up David.

We had similar mileage (a bit higher not towing) with our 2.7L Ecoboost and the 19.

Pretty surprised about the table not being cut to fit properly into the bench rails. I guess even a great company fouls up occasionally. It's pretty easy to trim it though and re-edge, although I agree that shouldn't have been necessary.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I suspect there is a simpler answer to the table issue. I'd not do anything rash. Talk to Reace first.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
And it is far from easy to trim it given the trapezoidal shape. It can be done but I would have a cabinet shop do it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
And it is far from easy to trim it given the trapezoidal shape. It can be done but I would have a cabinet shop do it.
I guess "easy" is a relative term. Pretty easy to cut with a jigsaw with a rail clamped to it for a straight edge. Then just route the groove for the trim. None of that gets more complex because of its shape, because the cut sides are straight. The only slightly tricky part I see is the rounded corners.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't know what I'm talking about, but what happens if it is rotated 90 degrees? Seems to me ETI would have jigs for woodwork which would make it unlikely that it was mis-measured.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Anderson Ultimate Hitch - Our rail-mount version worked well. I never removed it and it fit under the tonneau when not in use. I didn't have the extra chains and was never questioned.
My guess is that no one interested in enforcement ever looked at the hitch. You can use just about anything for towing and get away with it, unless you have a collision that is attended by police, or do something (such as speeding) to attract law enforcement attention, or happen to be stopped for an RV roadside inspection (which is extremely rare). Even if highway patrol officers looked at it, they might not know the rules for hitches. "Never questioned" is very different from "legal", regardless of the safety of the rig.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't know what I'm talking about, but what happens if it is rotated 90 degrees? Seems to me ETI would have jigs for woodwork which would make it unlikely that it was mis-measured.
With the beveled 45s facing the interior, it only goes into the rails one way. The width and depth are never equal on any model, whether it's a smaller table with the U-shaped dinette, or the stock one.

I suppose you could rotate it 180 degrees, but you'd still have a fitment problem.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
There are getting to be quite a few Escapes in Texas now or will be. I will pick up my 21 next July or August. The return trip will be visiting Olympic NP, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Went to Yellowstone in 2004 and have been wanting to go back every since. I am even considering getting a summer job at Yellowstone in two or three years. Of course things could change and probably will. Good to know the refrig worked well.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Fireplace

Where do you plan to install the fireplace? I like the idea!
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My guess is that no one interested in enforcement ever looked at the hitch. You can use just about anything for towing and get away with it, unless you have a collision that is attended by police, or do something (such as speeding) to attract law enforcement attention, or happen to be stopped for an RV roadside inspection (which is extremely rare). Even if highway patrol officers looked at it, they might not know the rules for hitches. "Never questioned" is very different from "legal", regardless of the safety of the rig.
I completely agree, and use mine chains all the time. It takes a whole 15 seconds to hook them up. I really doubt that they would ever be needed, but I would hate to hit a roadside check and be told I had stop towing until it was remedied. I have been through a few checks here and around Calgary, where they set up check stops a go through all the safety features of trucks and trailers. It is incredible how many big trucks and various types of trailers are immediately pulled off the road for improper safety features.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I guess "easy" is a relative term. Pretty easy to cut with a jigsaw with a rail clamped to it for a straight edge. Then just route the groove for the trim. None of that gets more complex because of its shape, because the cut sides are straight. The only slightly tricky part I see is the rounded corners.

You definitely do not want to cut this table with a jigsaw. The cabinet shop that cut my smaller table did so with the original that did fit with a band saw and had to bring it back for an adjuatment as it was still a little tight.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You definitely do not want to cut this table with a jigsaw.
I agree. A circular saw with a straight edge would work, but chipping is likely. I would be using a router with a straight edge so there would be no potential for chipping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #14

Actually, he did use a router.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I agree. A circular saw with a straight edge would work, but chipping is likely. I would be using a router with a straight edge so there would be no potential for chipping.
Gotta agree, I wouldn't use a jig saw for a long straight cut. Depends on your circular saw blade collection though, with the right blade chipping isn't an issue. Otherwise, the router for sure.

In all my towing over the years I've only once had my hitch set-up checked. That was only a couple of years ago at the Glacier border crossing. And when I say checked, I mean really checked. They wiggled and jiggled as if they were determined to find a fault. So I was happy that a full hookup is ingrained in me even if it's for a short distance.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #16

Re: heaters

I've had both the propane 9000 and the diesel Newport models in boats.

Both work well. I'm partial to the Newport but I've been around diesel engines so long I probably don't even smell the slight wiff of diesel that you might get from time to time.

The propane is virtually trouble free. It's not for no reason we the called the Newport our "fire breathing dragon"

The major advantage to this type of heater is that it just sits there quietly and puts out a nice even heat. No furnace noises etc. Much more enjoyable source of heat. I'm still contemplating installing a Newport on the wall between the bathroom door and dinette.

Ron
Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Gotta agree, I wouldn't use a jig saw for a long straight cut. Depends on your circular saw blade collection though, with the right blade chipping isn't an issue. Otherwise, the router for sure.

Ron
I've cut straight and clean lines on particle board, plywood and lots of different kinds of wood with a good jigsaw and a fence guide, although I agree a circular saw (love my mini circular saw) with a fine tooth blade would be more suitable for the purpose.

Sadly, I don't have a band saw. Hopefully that's rectified when we move into a larger house with acreage - and a SHOP to put it in.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

Sadly, I don't have a band saw. Hopefully that's rectified when we move into a larger house with acreage - and a SHOP to put it in.
Don't worry about getting the tools. Build a shop and very mysteriously it will start filling up with tools.

Ron
Old 10-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Looks like your mpg took a hit similarly to mine going out unhitched and returning hitched. While the combined 15 mpg number is nice, in reality you are actually averaging closer to 12 mpg towing while hitched. This number will change with each trip and may increase if you have a new vehicle.
As far as the table, I found in my 21 "U" dinette that the shape was more of a trapezoid. Thus careful measurements should allow an exact fit.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
Where do you plan to install the fireplace? I like the idea!
Steve,

I asked Reace to build a 6" recessed cabinet for the fireplace/heater. He put a 12V drop behind it. Propane and the 12V drop are accessed through the rear panel of the bottom cabinet, which is screwed, not stapled in. I'll need to run the chimney through the 2 upper cabinets. I'm going to try to place it so that it doesn't simply run through the middle, but more along the side of those. I'll need to measure 20 times before I punch a 3" hole in the roof of my brand-new trailer :wince.

I'll post some pics this weekend when I get started on this.

Regards,

David
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote