Insulation under trailer + heating pads - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Insulation under trailer + heating pads

How important is this option? Is it only necessary if I'm snow camping?

erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
We have the sprayfoam insulation under our Escape 21, but no heating pads. Nothing froze two nights ago when the temperature (park ranger verified) went down to 26F at Kodachrome Basin in Utah. Our tanks were also unaffected by two nights of -3C at Lightning Lake in Manning Park last fall.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #3

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Heating pads (2) take 100 watts each. That is a bit much if you are boondocking and relying on solar power in the winter (short days).

Foam insulation has almost no penalty, except to the pocketbook at initial purchase. In theory, it can make certain modifications or additions a problem - like changing tank sensors.

--
Alan

PS. Foam insulation and heating pads are almost impossible to purchase from other brands of fiberglass trailer makers. The winter options were a prime motivation for choosing Escape.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We wanted the spray foam insulation and decided to get the heating pads as they can't be added after the foam is sprayed on.
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
It's good to have if you will be camping when temps drop into the 20's, IF you need to have water on board when it does so. We got along just fine for years without such by dry camping, real dry camping. When temps were expected to get good and cold we'd drain and blow out the lines at home, just used the campground facilities as well as jugs of water. With the insulation temps can dip at night without any ill effects. Can't say how effective it would be in prolonged cold. These days we run into cold more by accident as in when traveling. Got stuck in a snow storm for a few days in SD last fall, the foam was nice to have when the campground shutoff the water and closed the bathrooms.

The only reason I can see for not getting it, besides the price, is that you no longer have easy access to the underside, repairs and such will be difficult at best.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Sorry for the noob question... What exactly is the spray foam made out of, and what is its permanence? Is it actually a "foam", or more similar to a material like a bed liner?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Sorry for the noob question... What exactly is the spray foam made out of, and what is its permanence? Is it actually a "foam", or more similar to a material like a bed liner?
In lue of a better answer it looks just like the spray foam that comes in a can (Great Stuff) for use around the house, painted black. The front surface takes a bit of a beating from road stone and such, mine needs to be touched up with black paint.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17B; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6
We have the foam and heat pads. We camped one night last fall when the temperature went down to 10F without any problems. We were plugged in with the heat pads on and we kept the inside temperature about 60F. We are glad to have the heat pads because it's one less thing to worry about.

Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Spray foam was not even an option back when I bought.

For temps down to -5LC (23°F), and as long as daytime temps stay a ways above freezing, the foam is not necessary. We have had dozens of those nights over the past 6 years, with no frozen tanks.

The only issue I ever had was on Thanksgiving one year, wanting to drain the water system before leaving, as we were going to winterize, and the drain line was frozen a bit. Warmed it with my hands a bit, and in 5 minutes was draining.

Would I get it if buying new, I am not really sure. Sure, you can't do any mods underneath it, but with all the things I have done in 6 years, I never have done anything underneath. And, if needed, you could remove some, and replace sometime later.

I really doubt I would get the heat pads, though not sure about in the future. At this point of time, 95% of our camping is without hookups, so could not run them anyway.

If you were to camp during the middle of winter, say at a ski resort or the like, then the heat pads could be a good thing. If you did this though, would you not have to ensure your tanks were emptied fairly quickly afterwards to avoid freeze up, and where would you do it, not too many dump stations open in the middle of winter, I would suspect.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 - 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe.---
Down to what temperatures will the spray insulation with heat pads keep the contents of the gray and black tanks from freezing ?. When headings South last winter we camped for several nights when the temps were well below zero but we did have electricity. Are the heat pads capable of thawing a frozen tank?
Thanks

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote