No Reason to Buy Used? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Trigger Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Don't you just buy a new one when that happens?
No he does not. Mr Norman’s trigger point for buying a new one is as follows:
First tank of propane runs out = Start a new build sheet. Second tank runs out,
Well, that’s never happened. By then his current trailer has a new owner.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #42

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Since we started this thread it seems only fair to bring everyone up to date.

We recently purchased a 2010 17B. The price was 16,000 with about 5,000 of factory upgrades. ETI tells me the original price would have been about 28,000cdn. We think it was a fair price.

We were contacted direct by the seller as a result of our WTB in the Escape classifieds, so they do work.

Trailer is in very good shape with a few things to fix that were disclosed. We conducted a through PPI which did not reveal any undisclosed problems.

UPDATE: What we have done so far is at http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...1-a-15950.html
and http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...2-a-15952.html

We are repairing/replacing the screen door screen and awning fabric (gives us a chance to customize the awning). We are also upgrading the stove hood fan, new flooring, painting some of the interior and working to bring the exterior back to a high gloss.

Given what we have learned I would offer the following:

Be sure to conduct an extensive PPI so there are no surprises.

No long wait for our trailer to be built.

Buying a used trailer, particularly one a few years old, removes the anxiety of making changes, repairs, improvements, etc. I think with a new trailer we would not want to make many changes.

We are more apt to try things to improve the trailer (for us) than we would with a new trailer.

If we make a mistake we can just fix it without worrying about resale, etc.

We end up with a trailer that is really 'ours'.

There really are reasons 'to buy used'. We are once again happy campers!

Update: Here are the things we have done so far:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...1-a-15950.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...2-a-15952.html
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Update: ordered a new E-21

WE recently bit the bullet and completed our "Build Sheet" for our new E-21. Decided to go new, so we could get all we wanted and nothing we didn't.
Next came the hassle of trying to sell our Casita. This was not a problem..a guy we met at an antique store in Knoxville a couple weeks ago toured our camper in the parking lot of the store. He said he and his wife had been looking for a nice used Casita and our Independence17' was just what they wanted. ..he made us a fair offer and we did the transfer of $ and title yesterday. WE gave him and his wife about an hour + 'tour' of the trailer right there.
It was kinda bittrsweet bks we have had lots of fun in the Cassie, but somehow the kids and grandkids have become "interested" in camping these last 2 years and we decided we definitely needed more 'space" .... that the Cassie just didn't have. Sold her 2 days b4 were even going to put it on the market., and that ain't bad. WE have a new grandson coming in 3 weeks, so we had already cancelled a couple of camping trips anyways. ..so waiting for the E-21 will not be much of a problem. Well..yes it will be difficult.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 21 2017
We really like our 21 and are getting good use from it. Knowing what I know now, though, I'd say the true value is in the older (pre-company expansion) trailers - the ones that were built when the company was still a Mom and Pop business with the owners fully hands-on. We just barely missed this golden period, since ours is a 2017. There are quality control issues now that are typical of the generic North American trailer production process. We are at the Chilliwack head quarters on a fairly regular basis, since we live nearby and have had warranty work done there, and I can tell you that they are churning those trailers out like crazy and there are hundreds of employees on site. They are still a decent trailer, better than the average stick-built box for sure, but they are not the trailers of yesteryear.
JLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLou View Post
They are still a decent trailer, better than the average stick-built box for sure, but they are not the trailers of yesteryear.
I'd have to disagree with you. I don't think that there was anything magic about the trailers of yesteryear. Do a little research back through the years. They had their issues also. Nothings perfect but I'm not expecting to find less quality in my coming 21 than my old 19.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #46

Ron
I believe you are correct and considering your continued ownership of Escape trailers your opinion is no doubt accurate and valid.
I’ve worked in situations with three employees and 1700 employees and the quality of the end product is based on work culture, quality of raw materials or components and attention to detail and the project at hand. If I needed a new fiberglass travel trailer, I would look no further than Escape.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #47

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'll hope the problems encountered with your 2017 were due to growing pains, time will tell. Thankfully you are close enough where you can bring it back.

We had and still have issues with our 2014, but it's a heck of a lot better then my old Starcraft. By this time in ownership I was lifting the shell off the frame to replace the floor.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've been thinking. Sorry.
It seems that nobody complains when they have to replace the water heater in their home, or call a tech to service their furnace. They replace light bulbs in their home. They call a plumber when the dish washer backs up.
But, when these sort of things happen in their trailer, which they drag down highways and byways, they are particularly irritated.
I've replaced a fuse and now my 12V outlets work again, but I don't know why it blew. It may blow again when I leave camp via a washboard forest service road. We shall see.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #49

Glenn
Your point is well taken. Also consider the fact that numerous owners are spending as much time in their Escapes as others are in homes costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and those places, like you mentioned, have upkeep and problems too. And not all housing appreciates, there’s depreciation in many markets throughout the USA. I don’t know about Canada. And the repairs are usually not out of line, cost wise when compared to home ownership too. I’ve never paid for tires on the house but I did buy a $20,000 metal roof.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think that Reace and Tammy sold their business to the highest bidder nor the first bidder, but they did it in pieces to test the waters and determine if the then 50% owners (who are now 100%) would continue in the same vein that Reace and Tammy established. I feel confident that Reace was pleased with the transition and the way the new owners took over the reigns. Classic to 2nd G models and now potentially new 3rdG models that a lot of owners expressed interest in, like a 23' model or a 21' model with a rear bed....progress at its best.

%
Old 08-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #51

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I had to have my new or nearly new water heater at home replaced I'd be a bit PO'ed too, like I was with the trailer fridge.

Jlou's trailer has or had problems, we don't know what they were or if they continue, but he/she has the right to their opinion.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #52

The problems with our trailer were strictly due to poor workmanship at the plant. There were 4 rivets missing from the belly band. My husband was the one who finally diagnosed the problem. Reace was still hands-on with the company at that time and you could tell he was pissed that such a serious thing had been missed at the factory.
The other problem was a very slow leak at the black tank, only discovered this spring. Just poor quality work in fitting the pipe to the tank. It was lucky for us that we live close enough that we could return to Escape to get it fixed, and that the trailer was under warranty.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #53

They sold a majority share to KV Investments in Aug. 2018.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jlou's trailer has or had problems, we don't know what they were or if they continue, but he/she has the right to their opinion.

Who said they didn't have a right to an opinion, or the right to post?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #55

Also, the number of employees now compared to pre-expansion absolutely is relevant.
Now, having said all that, I am happy we have our trailer, especially now that it appears that the problems are resolved. I just wish we'd bought an Escape back in 2015 instead of the Jayco that we started out with. At least I'm pretty sure that the floor in my Escape isn't going to rot due to a water leak. But the original post in this thread was questioning whether it made more sense to buy a new or used Escape and I still stand by what I say, that the older ones were/are likely higher quality.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #56

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLou View Post
... and that's why the missing rivets in our trailer and the associated leaking during rain events.
Hey JLou... we're picking up our 21 in September. Is it easy to tell that rivets are missing by walking around the trailer and doing a visual inspection? I'm assuming the belly band covers the rivets so it might not be easy to detect missing rivets. I'm just wondering if I will be able to spot an issue with the rivets at orientation.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hey JLou... we're picking up our 21 in September. Is it easy to tell that rivets are missing by walking around the trailer and doing a visual inspection? I'm assuming the belly band covers the rivets so it might not be easy to detect missing rivets. I'm just wondering if I will be able to spot an issue with the rivets at orientation.

Thanks.
I was wondering the same, there must be at least 40 rivets in a E21 band, how does one know 4 or more are missing, is the band coming off?
Old 08-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was wondering the same, there must be at least 40 rivets in a E21 band, how does one know 4 or more are missing, is the band coming off?
Here's what you do. Remove a section of the belly band by pulling it out of the track. You will be able to push its back in easily when finished. Look to see if a rivet is missing or if the center of the rivet is missing. Then take a straightened out paper clip and gently slide it in the rivet hole and feel for a light tap of it hitting metal. If the rivet is missing or if the center is missing or if you can feel the paper clip not hit metal water can enter there. If you need to plug the hole push some silicone into it and then cover the whole hole area. Let dry and replace belly band. Hope this helps. Our 2017 19 had 3 defective rivets/holes. Once sealed it has been perfect. Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #59

Okay, you remove the plastic color insert and look for holes and then caulk. But, why would not the plastic insert keep water out of the hole since the hole is centered and any water would be at the bottom of the metal channel? But I'm going to check tomorrow, never looked in my 3 prior Escapes.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Okay, you remove the plastic color insert and look for holes and then caulk. But, why would not the plastic insert keep water out of the hole since the hole is centered and any water would be at the bottom of the metal channel? But I'm going to check tomorrow, never looked in my 3 prior Escapes.
Belly band will not help. We had a leak from a hole. Trust me. Are you going to Niagara?