Table for U Shaped Dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Table for U Shaped Dinette

I'm back...

Think I like the U shaped best, and now trying to figure out a table system for it. What is the stock set up, and how does it convert to a bed? Do people like it? Any reason to consider a different system? I've got two little kids and like the idea of a slightly smaller table so it is easier to get in and out - maybe round?

Also wondering if anyone uses a folding leg system that they can easily use outside? This seems like it also makes sense.

Seems like a pretty important one to get right so thanks again for all of the comments!
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Dave,

Since you've got little kids, I assume they will sleep in the dinette when it's made up like a bed. The key to converting the dinette to a bed is being able to use the table to make the bed platform.

If you go with a round table it won't fill the space between the seats. You could go with a table that's a bit narrower, but it would make the bed narrower too.

If you're not planning to use the dinette as a bed, then you can be more flexible.

Instead of focusing on table size, consider an options that makes it easier to convert into a bed. There is a telescoping table leg that can do this. Google "Springfield table pedistal".

Another option is a Lagun table leg. The big benefit of this is that there is nothing on the floor. Google "lagun table mount"

Bottom line: the table and bed conversion are interrelated. You have to consider the whole system.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Do your Google site search here.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 11.31.16 AM.png  
Old 07-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

Thanks Rich! The kids will be sleeping over there, so ease of set up will be a big consideration. Does anyone know if the Lagun is as easy to convert to a bed as one of the marine telescoping systems? Will Escape install either one of them?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Lagun will not work as a bed, the easiest for making a bed is the table that attaches to the rear wall and swings down, has one skinny leg at the front. Up and down in one minute, rearrange the cushions, done. Or get the gaucho in the front, makes a bunk bed and the rear is for the adults. Again the wall hinged table is easiest and quickest, the Springfield is next but costs some $$$, the stock with the dual pedestals would be my 3rd choice as far as convenience.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Dave -- first off, I think it's great to hear that ETI is adding new models to their lineup. I hadn't heard of the 17 inch model before (per your user information on the left hand column)

Our family of 4 has a 2017 17' trailer with a regular dinette. You didn't mention it in your post, but if you have a significant other joining you and the kids, I think you will find that the U-shaped dinette is a really tight squeeze for 4 people. It will probably work fine for a while if you have smaller children, but I would be worried that these smaller kids would eventually become teenagers. I think most people using the U-shaped dinette are using it to seat 1-3 people.

If you really have your heart set on the U-shaped dinette, I agree with others that the best way to support it is probably with a Springfield pedestal. I'm less excited about the Springfield on a regular sized dinette, but for the smaller table on the U-shaped dinette it's probably ideal.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #7

Paul -

Yeah we are REALLY into tiny spaces

There are 4 of us.

I hear you on growing out of the U-shape - that's a really good call. Just trying to figure out a system that is easy to set up and where the table doesn't take up as much space. The set ups that I have seen with smaller tables look so much more open / comfortable.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

In general, people don't like the Springfield telescoping base in the regular dinette (not U-shaped)? Too much table for it?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Paul -

Yeah we are REALLY into tiny spaces

There are 4 of us.

I hear you on growing out of the U-shape - that's a really good call. Just trying to figure out a system that is easy to set up and where the table doesn't take up as much space. The set ups that I have seen with smaller tables look so much more open / comfortable.
ETI is now provisioning their trailers with a single huge 49"-ish long table with 2 pedestals below. I also didn't like this configuration. I asked them to build me a table that was 39.5" long with 3" corner cut-outs and a separate 12" filler strip. The table is much easier to get into and out of, and doesn't require sliding every time someone wants to get in/out. I then asked them to use a Snap 2 table base that can be moved outside for places that don't have picnic tables. You can read about that table base here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...iler-9988.html

I really like this configuration. As a bonus, it slides a few inches in any direction so you can slightly push or rotate it when getting in/out if you desire.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Lagun will not work as a bed, the easiest for making a bed is the table that attaches to the rear wall and swings down, has one skinny leg at the front. Up and down in one minute, rearrange the cushions, done. Or get the gaucho in the front, makes a bunk bed and the rear is for the adults. Again the wall hinged table is easiest and quickest, the Springfield is next but costs some $$$, the stock with the dual pedestals would be my 3rd choice as far as convenience.

I have Lagun mount on the standard table, takes about a 1 1/2 minutes to make into bed and all parts are stowed under table. Really like it and so does the dog as he has lots of room to lay under table when it's set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks Rich! The kids will be sleeping over there, so ease of set up will be a big consideration. Does anyone know if the Lagun is as easy to convert to a bed as one of the marine telescoping systems? Will Escape install either one of them?

Lagun attached to the standard table in my 5.0 TA takes about 90 seconds to go from table to bed and all parts are attached to the table. The telescoping setup is quicker than that if attached to a stock table. The thing I like about Lagun is you have a lot more floor space.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #12

Chotch has the "u" dinette in 5.0 which, similar to the 21, has a smaller table than the standard, your 17 has the standard table, which is larger, does it not?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Chotch has the "u" dinette in 5.0 which, similar to the 21, has a smaller table than the standard, your 17 has the standard table, which is larger, does it not?

Live and learn, my table is 35 x 29". How big is it on the 17?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Live and learn, my table is 35 x 29". How big is it on the 17?

According to the website it is 52" long and standard width, maybe 36". with the "U" dinette you give up table space for seating space.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
According to the website it is 52" long and standard width, maybe 36". with the "U" dinette you give up table space for seating space.
Maybe twice as large as yours...
Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Maybe twice as large as yours...

I thought we where talking about U dinette. If it's only 4" deeper and 9" narrower than mine ho w can it be twice as big?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Another option

We have a u shaped dinette in our 19 and are very happy with the Snap 2 table base we bought at RV Surplus in Elkhart Indiana. It is a free standing base for that goes up or down in less than 5 seconds. You travel with the table in the down position since it is free standing. You can attach the slider made by Escape and their table top too. When in the down position it will fit through the door on its side so it can be used outside or if you need extra room inside. One of the best things about it is it's only $70 if you pick it up but the shipping costs can be pricey. They have a web site with a demonstration video if you are interested.
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We have the U shaped dinette and are very happy with our decision. There are just two of us using the 19. We had ETI makes us a single post 24" round table in the dinette area with a recessed hole and a raised floor. The round table still has the slider underneath. We have two filler boards we can use if we want to make the area into a bed. We keep the filler boards under the mattress and you can't even tell that they are there. If we decided to make it into a bed we would use the filler boards and put the round table top in our tow vehicle. So far we LOVE our dinette set up. Hope this helps.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B due August
Quote:
I'm back...

Think I like the U shaped best, and now trying to figure out a table system for it. What is the stock set up, and how does it convert to a bed? Do people like it? Any reason to consider a different system? I've got two little kids and like the idea of a slightly smaller table so it is easier to get in and out - maybe round?

Also wondering if anyone uses a folding leg system that they can easily use outside? This seems like it also makes sense.

Seems like a pretty important one to get right so thanks again for all of the comments!
We are getting the u shaped rear dinette in our 17B which is still in production so I'm not sure how it will work. ETI will install our Springfield pedestal at orientation next week and our table will be a small table that will have all 4 corners cut off so you can slide into the back easier. Riess said it will still work fine for the bed. The dimensions on the picture may not be exactly right but the table will look like the photo.
Attached Images

blakebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
Still not sure how this works as we are keeping the standard dinette but plan on turning into a bed often.
We were planning on the Springfield. Open to suggestions.
Pictures would be great too!
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote