Truck Help for 5.0TA needed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Hopefull future Escapee 5.0
Truck Help for 5.0TA needed

All, We are (hopefully) in the final process of getting our 5.0 order together. Unfortunately, we do not have a tow vehicle yet and are in the process of researching trucks. The order form requires us to provide information on our truck. My question is, if you have a 5.0TA is there an issue with changing to a different truck? I would think it would simply be a matter of changing the hitch in the truck or, at worse, getting the high axle installed, but would like the experts input on this topic-- that is all of you.

Also, and not to start a debate because everyone has their favorite, but any input on the Dodge vs Ram vs Tundra(?) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some owners are using the Ra1500, some are using the Ford 150, A Chevrolet/GMC is in the mix, Colorado and Canyon are also being used. Just about and 1/2 ton truck can be used.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres View Post
All, We are (hopefully) in the final process of getting our 5.0 order together. Unfortunately, we do not have a tow vehicle yet and are in the process of researching trucks. The order form requires us to provide information on our truck. My question is, if you have a 5.0TA is there an issue with changing to a different truck? I would think it would simply be a matter of changing the hitch in the truck or, at worse, getting the high axle installed, but would like the experts input on this topic-- that is all of you.

Also, and not to start a debate because everyone has their favorite, but any input on the Dodge vs Ram vs Tundra(?) would be appreciated.Thanks!
Main reason they need the truck bed rail height dimension is to determine if the pin box will need to be adjusted from the stock position. Biggest possible influence if adjustment is needed is height of bed rails and whether the customer chooses the high lift axle option.

When you trade or sell your tow vehicle you will be able to adjust to the new tow vehicle using the height adjustment on the 5th wheel hitch and or the pin box if needed.

As stated any 1/2 ton will work. Test drive all vehicles you are considering and go with what makes you happy. I have always been a Ford fan, but my current tow vehicle is the GMC Canyon with Duramax as that is what worked best for me.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My question is, if you have a 5.0TA is there an issue with changing to a different truck? I would think it would simply be a matter of changing the hitch in the truck or, at worse, getting the high axle installed, but would like the experts input on this topic-- that is all of you.
There's no problem. Higher box sides might mean adding the suspension lift; lower box sides might mean taking it out. The box side height doesn't even indicate the bed height, so they can't be adjusting the pin box based on that... and both the pin box and the hitch are adjustable in height.

Quote:
Also, and not to start a debate because everyone has their favorite, but any input on the Dodge vs Ram vs Tundra(?) would be appreciated.
Why only those three... which are actually two, because Dodge trucks don't exist anymore ("Ram" replaced "Dodge")?

Ford's F-150 might be the most popular choice in this forum, due to the EcoBoost engines, or high available payload, or just brand loyalty. Ram 1500s are popular, perhaps due to the large V8 engine available, or the advanced suspension, or maybe pricing; if picking Ram, keep in mind that the 2018 is still available but the 2019 has a larger cab and higher payload. Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra are essentially the same thing as the Ford and Ram - it's a very competitive market.

Toyota's Tundra is not nearly as popular, and has less configuration choice, but is functionally comparable. Nissan's Titan is relatively rare, and again has little configuration choice. Otherwise both are objectively pretty much like all the others. Both would work.

Going heavier, there are people using the Ford SuperDuty pickups, and probably Ram 2500 and Chev/GMC 2500 pickups. These are all unnecessarily heavy, but have higher payload capacity and stiffer suspensions, and some people like them. The heavier Nissan is the Titan XD, which is even more rare than a regular Titan, but would work, too.

Going lighter, the mid-size trucks can also handle a 5.0TA but payload is often a serious limitation. That's the Chevrolet Colorado / GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and soon the Ford Ranger.

About the only pickup which is currently sold in North America and is unusable for a 5.0TA is the Honda Ridgeline - too little capacity, and not enough box length.

Some people seem to pick an engine and buy the truck which it comes in, which actually makes some sense for those with a strong preference in engines. This is particularly true of diesel fans.

If you know what is important to you, then you can pick a vehicle. If you don't know that you can blindly throw darts at a wall of truck pictures to choose and whatever you get will work as long as it has enough payload.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Own a 2014 Ram 1500
Recommend a Ford F-150
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Thanks!
Hi: Sabres... We have had both 5.0& 5.0TA now. Have had a '02 GMC 2dr. short box, '10 Nissan 4 dr. Frontier, and now a '16 Ram 4dr. EcoDiesel Crew Cab. We have used the same hitch in all trucks and relied on the adjustments avail. with the Husky 16K EZRoller hitch. We have yet to need the slider feature. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
hooked on you2.jpg   hooked.jpg   P1040875.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only limitations on choosing a truck I can think of are making sure you have adequate payload for the truck, and making sure you can get brackets for your choice of hitch mounts, be it bars or below bed, for your specific truck. Sometimes the maker of a specific hitch takes a while to come out with frame brackets for a new model of truck.

Hitching height can be adjusted by moving the actual hitch, if it can do so, the pin box, and the suspension mounts.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

Thanks!
I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4 x 4 with the 4.6 liter engine and 6.5 ft box. It works very well for me. I also used a rail kit from etrailer with custom fit mounting brackets and that was easy too. I use the Anderson ultimate hitch as my truck is also a work truck and the Anderson is light and easy to remove. No groaning or clunking from the hitch either. The only thing I would do differently there is to NOT cut the bed liner around the rails but instead remove it when the hitch is installed and put it back over the rails when working (less chance of crap getting under the liner) As long as you are careful about what you bring most 1/2 ton trucks will do just fine. I have stuck with Toyota due to their high reliability ratings and personally have found that true as well. The only thing I do not like is the Toyota is towards the bottom of the heap when it comes to MPG. I like the idea of a diesel but am not sure the payback is there for the added upfront cost. I know folks that have the Fords with the turbo and like them although I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the turbo (an expensive item)…..time will tell. Find a 1/2 ton you like, get the highest payload you can, watch what you bring and enjoy! If you decide to change trucks they are not that different in height and everything is adjustable.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Dodge 2500, Cummins diesel....no replacement for cubic inch displacement...no pass too steep and I’m in the left lane going past all the semis with flashers on and half tons pulling trailers. Horsepower is nice, but torque gets you going. Now if only a truck maker would sell a truck with a manual tranny........
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I bought my current ride to tow a 5.0 TA. It's a 2013 F150 ecoboost with a 5.5 foot bed.

With any luck at all, the 5.0TA will come within two more years.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Dodge 2500, Cummins diesel....no replacement for cubic inch displacement...no pass too steep and I’m in the left lane going past all the semis with flashers on and half tons pulling trailers. Horsepower is nice, but torque gets you going. Now if only a truck maker would sell a truck with a manual tranny........
🤔If my 5.0 weighed twice as much, I might think about a 2500 series truck. In the mean time my little F150, 2.7 ecoboost has been keeping me in the fast lane and rides way more comfortable than anyone’s 2500 series truck😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The only limitations on choosing a truck I can think of are making sure you have adequate payload for the truck, and making sure you can get brackets for your choice of hitch mounts, be it bars or below bed, for your specific truck. Sometimes the maker of a specific hitch takes a while to come out with frame brackets for a new model of truck.
For many of the trucks used to tow the Escape 5.0TA there are still no custom-fit frame brackets; use of generic brackets (or fabrication of custom brackets) is unfortunately routine.

The ideal at the opposite extreme would be a factory-installed hitch, but that is only common in heavier pickups (F-SuperDuty, GM & Ram 2500/3500, Nissan Titan XD) because they are the only models commonly used to tow (heavier) fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #13

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For many of the trucks used to tow the Escape 5.0TA there are still no custom-fit frame brackets; use of generic brackets (or fabrication of custom brackets) is unfortunately routine.

The ideal at the opposite extreme would be a factory-installed hitch, but that is only common in heavier pickups (F-SuperDuty, GM & Ram 2500/3500, Nissan Titan XD) because they are the only models commonly used to tow (heavier) fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers.
There certainly are custom fit gooseneck ball brackets made for many F150's (including my 2013) that simply need to be bolted in place mostly under the bed for use with an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitches.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here.
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
There certainly are custom fit gooseneck ball brackets made for many F150's (including my 2013) that simply need to be bolted in place mostly under the bed for use with an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitches.
Yes, but they are not available for all pickups trucks that are suitable for the 5.0TA. The custom brackets for the F-150 are aftermarket (not Ford factory), which is not a concern, but that's what distinguishes getting a hitch for an F-150 from getting a hitch for a Ford SuperDuty.

The Ford F-150 and GM Silverado/Sierra are the most common pickup trucks, so they have readily available hitches making them the most straightforward choices.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:

www.etrailer.com has all kinds of truck brand specific 5th wheel mounting kits for 1/2 ton trucks...although it usually takes them 6months to a year to have kits for brand new models of truck (think a body style refresh) I got a kit that did not involve drilling my Toyota Tundra frame other than to enlarge one hole. It also came with a bracket to move something that was in the way. The only thing that was a PITA was getting at one of the nuts to tighten it up. Otherwise very straight forward and simple. The same kit fits all Tundras from about 2010 or so to present(whenever the current style started). The brackets fit my truck EXACTLY and although not Factory they were excellent quality.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #16

I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand. If you chose an F-150, or even a Tundra, you can get specific-fit brackets for various in-bed hitches. If you chose the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, or the Toyota Tacoma, or the Nissan Frontier, there are few if any choices... and none of these are new designs. If you let the availability of specific-fit hitch brackets determine your truck choice, it will not be any of these mid-sized trucks; if you are willing to accept generic or custom-made brackets, you have more truck choices.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand. If you chose an F-150, or even a Tundra, you can get specific-fit brackets for various in-bed hitches. If you chose the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, or the Toyota Tacoma, or the Nissan Frontier, there are few if any choices... and none of these are new designs. If you let the availability of specific-fit hitch brackets determine your truck choice, it will not be any of these mid-sized trucks; if you are willing to accept generic or custom-made brackets, you have more truck choices.
When you put it like that it makes sense.

I have had both Tacomas and a Frontier and while they CAN pull a 5.0 TA you would be quickly limited by payload AND the engine would be working pretty hard. I towed a Scamp 19 5er with a Frontier V-6 (any little hill and the rpms jumped dramatically unless you really slowed down a lot) and it was ok but for a 5.0 TA it would be undersized (I know Alf used to do it, ask him if he likes his Ram 1500 diesel!). I am not the type to always say bigger is better either. I get the same mileage on the Tundra 4.6 l V-8 as I did on the 4.0 l V-6 Nissan and the RPMs are down about 500-1000 when towing. I do not have any experience with the Canyon...I understand someone is using a Canyon diesel. Also the Taco has a composite bed which could add to the difficulty of the install.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 5ota
I pull 5ota with 2017 1500 Sierra Denali with 6.2 eng. Like it. To me, the biggest advantage to towing the 5ota with a diesel is you can get aftermarket larger tanks and get more range before fill ups.
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
When you put it like that it makes sense.
I guess I just needed to take a couple of shots at it.

Quote:
I do not have any experience with the Canyon...I understand someone is using a Canyon diesel.
Yes, both gas and diesel Colorado/Canyons have been used.

Quote:
Also the Taco has a composite bed which could add to the difficulty of the install.
A composite (or aluminum) bed doesn't really matter, because the hitch is supported by the brackets to the frame regardless of bed material; the thickness just needs to be accounted for in selection of bolts and spacers. I'm sure that the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500's optional CarbonPro box (which is a carbon fibre in nylon composite) will be fine, too, when it arrives late in the model year.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #20

Trailer: Hopefull future Escapee 5.0
Thanks for all the feedback. The information has been great and exactly why I enjoy the forum so much. Chotch- one if our finalists is the Ford, but we had some people wonder about ability to tow and gas mileage while towing. Any additional info or I sight on that option? Thanks!
Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0, axle, hitch, truck