Craftsman Sale to Black & Decker - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Craftsman Sale to Black & Decker

Some of you may find this an interesting read, I had not heard about it:

What You Need to Know About the Craftsman Sale to Black & Decker

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Eric, Good article! Thanks for sharing. Love that another company is coming back to the States!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That was on the news hear a while back. Not real surprising though, as Sears really seems to have dropped their game level a lot over the last 20 years. They just didn't seem to keep up with the changing retail market. I went into one near me a few months back, and there was very few customers in it. At one time their brand loyalty was very high.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Craftsman tools were the best at one time, like back in the fifties when they were made in the US. Then, Sears went for the big bucks and turned the brand into cheap crap. Will that change?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Decades ago when I bought most of my hand tools they were mostly from Sears Craftsman line - not up to the standards of a SnapOn level, but most of the time fine for me. I knew if one did have a problem it was easily replaced. In my mind, again many decades ago, Black and Decker was very good quality, then they went into steep quality decline and I stayed away from them. I've heard that they are making much better stuff again now, but I don't really have any recent experience.

I do remember when Sears starting carrying just a Sears branded level of tools that were mostly crap. I bought one, (can't remember what) one time, not realizing it was not a Craftsman, it broke and was shocked when I took it back in and they refused to replace it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Decades ago when I bought most of my hand tools they were mostly from Sears Craftsman line - not up to the standards of a SnapOn level, but most of the time fine for me. I knew if one did have a problem it was easily replaced.
When I worked building electrical substations (21-34 years ago), a good part of it was erecting steel structures. We used a lot of wrenches, ratchet and combo open/box end. Fortunately, I had a set of Snap-on inherited from a great uncle who was a mechanic. The stuff was older yet, but worked fantastically. I did replace the guts for free one time on a couple ratchets. Other co-workers bought Craftsman stuff, because of the better price and a good warranty. What they did not account for was their time to take the ratchets in once or twice a year for repair, something that for me takes away from value.

Of course, having had to rely on tools for work my entire adult life, I know full well the value of purchasing quality. Though, there is the odd one-off tool I buy something cheap, just to get that one-time job done without big cost.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

I always looked longingly at SnapOn stuff, had a couple, but looked at the prices and my (always thin back then) wallet would go into shock!

Also, being really old like me, I think that the Craftsman tools I have were from the height of their quality. I can honestly say that in all those decades of use I have used that warranty very little. Well there was the time I was using that socket drive reducer when I never should have been and broke 2 in the same day. The guy at Sears was not happy with me...

Old 01-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Also, being really old like me, I think that the Craftsman tools I have were from the height of their quality. I can honestly say that in all those decades of use I have used that warranty very little.
Like Eric, I purchased all my mechanic type Craftsmen tools in the late fifties when they were top in their class, well for an eleven year old at least - not a pro mechanic. After much use all these years only warranty was for the 3/4" flex T handle that started to flake off the chromium coating. Was replaced with another just a few years ago as I was tired of the metal splinters.

Good article, thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I have a shop full of 10-15 year old Craftsman power hand tools. I bought a Craftsman mitre saw that was crap and I traded for a Dewalt. No regrets. My Craftsman tablesaw is marginal, gets it done but could be better quality.

We're having a lot of workers in our new house and they all use Makita lithium tools. 18v batteries last forever and they seem indestructable! I told Santa to start shopping for a set of Makitas. RIP Craftsman.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Like Eric, I purchased all my mechanic type Craftsmen tools in the late fifties when they were top in their class, well for an eleven year old at least - not a pro mechanic. After much use all these years only warranty was for the 3/4" flex T handle that started to flake off the chromium coating. Was replaced with another just a few years ago as I was tired of the metal splinters.

Good article, thanks.
They are just fine for the homeowner, who is what they are designed for. Just not the professional. My dad owned a John Deere dealership, and almost all his mechanics owned Snap-on. Huge investments into their tool cabinets. If you ever used a good Snap-on ratchet, with the smooth action with twice as many teeth, it will make you all giddy.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some Craftsman tools passed from my father
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0891.jpg   IMG_0890.jpg   IMG_0892.jpg  
Old 01-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I have a shop full of 10-15 year old Craftsman power hand tools. I bought a Craftsman mitre saw that was crap and I traded for a Dewalt. No regrets. My Craftsman tablesaw is marginal, gets it done but could be better quality.

We're having a lot of workers in our new house and they all use Makita lithium tools. 18v batteries last forever and they seem indestructable! I told Santa to start shopping for a set of Makitas. RIP Craftsman.
Hi Greggo have many from the 60's ,Craftsman tools . Fixed many auto's and trucks through the years . My favorite drill , cheaper to replace batteries is a ,Craftsman . Have had Bosch and Makita 's in the past . Too expensive when batteries need replacing . While working lately my old Craftsman nailer needs some parts it's almost 40 years old . Needed to finish ,used coupon and went to our new Harbor Feight store . Got to say for 16.00 , not too bad for their nailer . Don't know if I will fix my old nailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Sears is on a steep downhill road to insolvency and the sale of the Craftsman line of tools is just going to provide a short term reprieve, but will not change the longer term prognosis. The Craftsman tool line has slipped tremendously in recent years and is now only a shadow of its past quality. I would suggest looking elsewhere if you have a desire for quality.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Sear used to be THE store and now there are so many others. Competition came along including the Internet. Maybe Sears can still do well in small places.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Sear used to be THE store and now there are so many others. Competition came along including the Internet. Maybe Sears can still do well in small places.
When I was a kid, like back in the mid-1960s, JC Penny, Montgomery Wards and Sears often had Catalog stores in small towns rather than full-fledged stocked stores. You went to the catalog store to place your order and in a few days/weeks you'd go back to the catalog store and pickup your product. (Amazon ala Flintstones!)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I was a kid, like back in the mid-1960s, JC Penny, Montgomery Wards and Sears often had Catalog stores in small towns rather than full-fledged stocked stores. You went to the catalog store to place your order and in a few days/weeks you'd go back to the catalog store and pickup your product. (Amazon ala Flintstones!)
Montgomery Wards , bought our first canvas tent for camping early 80's . Pat
Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Both Wards and Sears sold Craftsman houses, shipped via railroad to your local deposit, complete homes with plans and all components, including nails. I would really like to find one to live in, they are quite beautiful. There were 2 noted architects and their plans are quite beautiful. Sears Homes 1927-1932
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...omes&FORM=IGRE
Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Now you can get a Lindal Cedar home with a prow, all sent complete in a kit for $$$$.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Both Wards and Sears sold Craftsman houses, shipped via railroad to your local deposit, complete homes with plans and all components, including nails. I would really like to find one to live in, they are quite beautiful. There were 2 noted architects and their plans are quite beautiful. Sears Homes 1927-1932
There is a beautiful one of those in the town nearest us. The owners are turning it into a bed and breakfast.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How cool is that ! Pat